Beginner's Question about the Thoth Tarot

SarahStar

Hi all,

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so I hope it's okay here. I am a beginner reader, and I recently got the Rosetta Tarot. It's a lovely deck based partly on the RWS and partly on the Thoth. My question is this: can you read the "traditional" RWS meanings on the Thoth tarot and other decks that don't follow that system? Or are Thoth meanings meant to be totally different?

Thanks! -Sarah

Abrac

On one level the Thoth's meaning are totally different, but on another they're similar. I think you can use RWS meanings, but if you do so exclusively you'll be robbing yourself of the total depth the Thoth has to offer.

Richard

Hi all,

I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so I hope it's okay here. I am a beginner reader, and I recently got the Rosetta Tarot. It's a lovely deck based partly on the RWS and partly on the Thoth. My question is this: can you read the "traditional" RWS meanings on the Thoth tarot and other decks that don't follow that system? Or are Thoth meanings meant to be totally different?

Thanks! -Sarah
Hi, Sarah. I suspect that most fortune tellers who use Thoth (primarily for its visual impact) do something like that. Actually, the RWS has similar roots in esotericism as the Thoth, but this is generally overlooked by most Tarot authors and readers who use that deck. I should think that the Thoth images would not be helpful in a reading which uses popular RWS meanings, but neither are they necessarily incompatible with such an approach. Another deck which is Thoth-like but seems to be popular with fortune tellers is the Liber T, in which the pip cards have actual scenes rather than abstract designs. Personally I hate the Liber T, but that's just me.

Zephyros

Hi all,

Thanks! -Sarah

It isn't so much a matter of different meanings, but rather a different message altogether. It is well worth the time to spend time getting to know it for what it is, rather than what it is similar to.

Karrma

Hi Sarahstar, Welcome. I just started Tarot a few months ago, and The Rosetta Tarot is my only deck. I have found that the author, artist of the deck to be extremely helpful with these questions. She has answered me from her website, www.rosettatarot.com, and she is here on this forum also, if you look at the rosetta tarot study group.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3064320 Her name is Babylon (sp?)here, and is the one that has posted the pictures of the cards.

I have also found the Mary Greer workbook, Tarot for Yourself, to be good at using either type of cards, more intuitive. There is a study group just restarting on this right now.

ravenest

Hi all,

Thanks! -Sarah

Hi Sarah. I COULD read the RWS meanings on the Thoth but I wouldn't. Why? In retrospect, because I would have missed out on SOOOO much great stuff! To me Thoth offers penetrative insight into many of the mysteries of life and a formular on how to lead a happy and fulfilled life, in a 'real' system.

I would advise you move Thoth from your whish list to your 'I have' list and start exploring the Thoth meanings and connections .... if you are interested in the Thoth.

SarahStar

All, thank you for your responses. I think that rather than assigning all the "traditional" RWS meanings, I'm going to take the time to learn the deck and its unique meanings. Thanks again!

treedog

All, thank you for your responses. I think that rather than assigning all the "traditional" RWS meanings, I'm going to take the time to learn the deck and its unique meanings. Thanks again!

There's a lot of good experience here, and suggestions. For me it sort of works like this: I use/study RWS and AC Thoth separately, then my subconscious creates relevance and connections. Working with the Thoth has actually brought more meaning to other GD influenced decks.

That being said, apples and almonds are both in the rose family, but they are different.