Another Indispensible Book You Won't Be Able To Put Down

fyreflye

...except maybe in the trash. The Dark Lord: H.P. Lovecraft, Kenneth Grant, and the Typhonian Tradition in Magic, by Peter Levenda http://goo.gl/1cnpYD

I haven't read this recently published book and don't plan to, but those of you who own multiple versions of the Necronomicon and like that sort of thing might enjoy it. If it gets good reviews here I might even spring for the Kindle edition. Has anyone read it?

ravenest

No, I haven't read it .... too scary! :laugh: I would give it a flip through if someone gave me a copy ... I like Lovecraft, used to read his work as young fellah. A while back I was flipping through the TV trash on a rainy Saturday afternoon and came across a doco on him ... it was v.interesting .. what a dude!

Errrmmmmm ... does anyone know what the " Schlangekraft recension of the Necronomicon, " is ???? What ..... the Necronomicon has recensions now ???

Those two things interest me (although not as much as before ) but Grant ??? I will leave that up to inner-city Goths :) .

Perhaps we could start a thread on the Necronomicon ?

Aeon could work out the gematria, LRichard could reveal the hidden algebra (and finally reveal the secret brotherhood info HE is privy to) and Always Wondering can wonder what the hell happened to us. :joke:

Beware the Necronomicon }) - its written structurally backwards you know ;)

Richard

......Aeon could work out the gematria, LRichard could reveal the hidden algebra (and finally reveal the secret brotherhood info HE is privy to) and Always Wondering can wonder what the hell happened to us. :joke:......
Maybe I can get around the secrecy issue on a technicality, since I used red ink instead of blood to sign the initiatory oath.

ETA. I'm always wondering about what Always Wondering is always wondering about.

Aeon418

Errrmmmmm ... does anyone know what the " Schlangekraft recension of the Necronomicon, " is ???? What ..... the Necronomicon has recensions now ???

Schlangekraft recension indeed! :rolleyes: I think it's just a fancy name for the "Simon Necronomicon."

I don't think I will bother with Levenda's book. There's something fishy about it. And it ain't Cthulhu! :laugh:

For a start Peter Levenda may be one of the original authors of the Simon Necronomicon. (Simon-Peter ;))

James Wasserman has written the preface to the new book. Wasserman was also involved in the publication of the Simon Necronomicon. Wasserman, Peter, and Simon (or Simon-Peter) know each other from way back.

Anyone else starting to see a pattern?

Darkmage

Everything I've ever read says Peter Lavenda IS Simon. The Schlangekraft Recension *is* the Simon Necronomicon. Literally it means 'snake power' and it's a reference to Kundalini.

I like Lavenda's style but I take everything he writes with a box of rock salt.

Aeon418

Everything I've ever read says Peter Lavenda IS Simon.
Wasserman claims that Peter introduced him to Simon. I wonder what Wasserman's reaction was to meeting 'Simon the sock puppet'? :laugh:
The Schlangekraft Recension *is* the Simon Necronomicon. Literally it means 'snake power' and it's a reference to Kundalini.
Although in this instance I think it's closer to Snake Oil.....
Didn't he write something in another book about Hitler's escape to Indonesia after WWII, aided by the Catholic Church? Erm..... yeah... right....

Darkmage

I've got a bottle of wine here that says Wasserman's at least in on the joke, if he didn't help create it.

As for snake oil, I've known ceremonial magicians who have tried that version of the Necronomicon. They swear it works. I have no reason to doubt them--a couple are crazy but they're also honest. If something works, I don't care much what its origins are. I haven't tried this one, so...anyway... From what I understand, though, the Hay version is a complete fabrication with nothing going for it whatsoever. I have both, and honestly, the Simon one is better all around. The Hay version screams 'RPG supplemental materials.'

I'm not sure on the Hitler escaping to Indonesia bit. I've also heard Hitler escaped to South America with a bunch of other Nazis. I seriously doubt both stories. Conspiracy theorists are a strange lot...

Aeon418

I've got a bottle of wine here that says Wasserman's at least in on the joke, if he didn't help create it.

Wasserman has to be in on it.

I really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but it's hard not to think it may be part of the same joke. But who is it designed to bait? Typhonians?

In one of the reviews on Amazon it claims that Levenda draws parallels between Grant's ideas on Tantra and Lovecraft's story, The Dunwich Horror. :bugeyed:
That might be worth reading, even if it's just for the novelty value. But it can't serious, can it?

"Bring back the Old Ones by making your very own Shoggoth and twin humanoid demon! :laugh: (Albino daughter not included*)"

ravenest

Schlangekraft recension indeed! :rolleyes: I think it's just a fancy name for the "Simon Necronomicon."

I don't think I will bother with Levenda's book. There's something fishy about it. And it ain't Cthulhu! :laugh:

For a start Peter Levenda may be one of the original authors of the Simon Necronomicon. (Simon-Peter ;))

James Wasserman has written the preface to the new book. Wasserman was also involved in the publication of the Simon Necronomicon. Wasserman, Peter, and Simon (or Simon-Peter) know each other from way back.

Anyone else starting to see a pattern?

Bloody James Wasserman again! Still pissed off about his alleged fake publishing deal ... I should have known better.

Here is some switcheroo KQCabbalah for you; Levenda backwards adneveL (with a switch) and evel ... and evil ... HA! They cant fool me.

ravenest

Everything I've ever read says Peter Lavenda IS Simon. The Schlangekraft Recension *is* the Simon Necronomicon. Literally it means 'snake power' and it's a reference to Kundalini.

You have to be kidding me! I thought Schlange kraft was Masonic tantra ;)

Noun

Schlange f (genitive Schlange, plural Schlangen)
1.snake
2.line (of people waiting), queue
3.(slang) penis

... or some other white crystalline substance which might be needed to comprehend the original mindset.