The Star Card in the Waite Smith Deck

RunningWild

A thread on deck nudity in the Talking Tarot section got me to wondering why XVII The Star features a nude woman. I already understand the common meanings of the card but I was wondering if there was a particular reason she's nude?

I suppose it could have something to do with the destruction of the Tower and now all is laid bare, exposed.

Any ideas anyone?

PAMUYA

Blind faith, casting aside all material possessions and attachments. Clothes are such an integral part of our society.... your clothes lets us know where you stand, hide faults... dress for sucess as they say, clothes are but a costume, part of ego. Standing nude makes you adress the true issues. Hope is found within, not found outside of yourself.

Zephyros

That's a good question, the most obvious answer to which is that that is how the card was portrayed in earlier decks like the Marseilles. However, a closer look at the PKT reveals that Waite was unusually talkative about this card, even revealing borderline secret Kabbalistic doctrines:

A.E. Waite said:
17. The Star, Dog-Star, or Sirius, also called fantastically the Star of the Magi. Grouped about it are seven minor luminaries, and beneath it is a naked female figure, with her left knee upon the earth and her right foot upon the water. She is in the act of pouring fluids from two vessels. A bird is perched on a tree near her; for this a butterfly on a rose has been substituted in some later cards. So also the Star has been called that of Hope. This is one of the cards which Court de Gebelin describes as wholly Egyptian-that is to say, in his own reverie.

A great, radiant star of eight rays, surrounded by seven lesser stars--also of eight rays. The female figure in the foreground is entirely naked. Her left knee is on the land and her right foot upon the water. She pours Water of Life from two great ewers, irrigating sea and land. Behind her is rising ground and on the right a shrub or tree, whereon a bird alights. The figure expresses eternal youth and beauty. The star is l'étoile flamboyante, which appears in Masonic symbolism, but has been confused therein. That which the figure communicates to the living scene is the substance of the heavens and the elements. It has been said truly that the mottoes of this card are "Waters of Life freely" and "Gifts of the Spirit."

The summary of several tawdry explanations says that it is a card of hope. On other planes it has been certified as immortality and interior light. For the majority of prepared minds, the figure will appear as the type of Truth unveiled, glorious in undying beauty, pouring on the waters of the soul some part and measure of her priceless possession. But she is in reality the Great Mother in the Kabalistic Sephira Binah, which is supernal Understanding, who communicates to the Sephiroth that are below in the measure that they can receive her influx.

The two jugs represent oil and water, or blood, and symbolize her breasts, so it doesn't matter if she's naked or not, her jugs are still jugs. :) In the Golden Dawn Tree of Life, I would guess she would represent the limitless space of the universe, inside which we all exist. Opposite her is the male Sun, the giver of life and energy to that universe. So, that's why I would guess she's naked, because we are all, in a sense, "making love" to her. In the Thoth, she represents something similar, but far greater, as her place on the Tree is higher up, and she represents that which is beyond the confines of limitless space. She, too, pours oil and water on the ground and into the stream, only it is probably her jugs are quite a bit larger!

In a divinatory sense, coming after the Tower, she represent hope unseen and unexpected. In way she represents the giving, hopeful side of God, the Shechinah by, um... suckling the universe...

Waite, however, would probably find my interpretation "tawdry," so go figure. He even goes so far as to take an opportunity to elbow de Gebelin, so it's obvious this card was important to him, with good reason. It's an important card.

Rhinestones

I always get The Star in universal waite to represent who I am. Mainly because I have bleach blonde hair and love to be naked lol.
Anyways when you look at the card, it a woman who is at peace with herself, she is pouring water into a lake innocently which create a more soothing atmosphere.
Then you see her naked - her nudity represents the way she presents herself - she doesn't hide anything. She doesn't NEED to hide anything. She is hopeful, confident and optimistic about herself and her future, clothes are optional to her.

This is how I see it because this is how I feel.

jillkite

for me nudity in the RWS symbolises openness.

in The Star i read it as an openness to Universal Healing energies. she is completely receptive, there are no blocks or resistances.

Richard

In ancient Egypt, Sirius would appear in the eastern sky just before sunrise, at about the same time as the annual inundation of the Nile. Note that the woman is pouring water on the land as well as the water, which could be a symbolic indication of the flooding, which was important to Egyptian agriculture. She is probably an Egyptian deity, perhaps Isis, but I have never seen a convincing explanation of why she is naked.

Zephyros

That's if you buy de Gebelin's version which, although far-fetched, is indeed what later occultists based themselves on, including Waite who mentions Sirius. de Gebelin calls this card La Canicule, meaning the hot period between July and September (the "dog days" of summer, of which we are now enjoying the blistering heat). My French is rusty, but like you said, he attributes her to Isis, but does not mention why she is naked. I suspect the answer lies in the Historical forum.

Maybe she's just hot. I know I am.

ravenest

She is nude starbathing .

Your post above made me think of Venus the Goddess of nature or Aphrodite emerging from the sea (naked). Clothes seem unnatural in the world of nature.

In this aspect Venus (as in the meaning, charm, philtre, poison ) may be plying her trade on a healthy larger aspect, poring into nature that which brings fertility.

The Sirius connection is there IMO (via historical connection as well) but .... that's taking cards back to Egypt isn't it ... and that isn't historical (but rather satisfying).

Zephyros

Well, maybe not Sirius, but just today I read in some thread that some cards in the Visconti-Sforza may actually depict members of the families. Maybe she's the crazy aunt who liked to frolic naked in the garden.

Luminosa

Seeing a dressed High Priestess as we do is just an illusion from the Moon because the HP is in fact naked (Isis unveiled). That's how the HP reveals her secrets. Count the lines on Marseille HP's book 8+9 = 17. Also, the Star represents being in total harmony with the Cosmos, in perfect equilibrium, therefore, not in need of any sort of protection. Her protection is that she is connected to the primal source, to the One. No harm can come to her. She masters life and death.