In which direction faces the queen of cups?

ivanna

Hi,
I started to read the book of duquette, and in the chapter 20, explaining how crowly made the spread, it says that one located in which stack is the significator, you have to look to which side is faced the card.
My significator was the queen of cups, and for me she es facing to the front, so no idea. Any help, please?

ravenest

Hi Ivanna,

That's the thing with Q of Cups, she is looking to a side ... but it is the inside, the reflective world of herself. That is why she doesn't look left or right but 'above and below' at the same time.

Difficult. I have only done this spread once or twice looong ago and never thought about that as it never came up.

Not much help am I ?

ivanna

Hi Ravenest,
Thank you.
I started this book and I'm thinking maybe is too much for me. I feel completely lost.
I tried the first operation, but I don't have it very clear.
I read somewhere that Crowley said on the B.O.T that the queen of cups was looking to the left.

Zephyros

Hi Ravenest,
Thank you.
I started this book and I'm thinking maybe is too much for me. I feel completely lost.
I tried the first operation, but I don't have it very clear.
I read somewhere that Crowley said on the B.O.T that the queen of cups was looking to the left.

The Opening of the Key is a long and involved process, and takes quite a bit of knowledge. I have never done it. Good for you for trying, but maybe you should get more comfortable with the deck beforehand.

In any case, Crowley doesn't say in the Book of Thoth about her facing left:

The Queen of Cups represents the watery part of Water, its power of reception and reflection. In the Zodiac it rules from the 21St degree of Gemini to the 20th degree of Cancer Her image is of extreme purity and beauty, with infinite subtlety; to see the Truth of her is hardly possible, for she reflects the nature of the observer in great perfection.

She is represented as enthroned upon still water. In her hand she bears a shell-like cup, from which issues a crayfish, and she bears also the Lotus of Isis, of the Great Mother. She is robed in, and veiled by, endless curves of light, and the sea upon which she is enthroned conveys the almost unbroken images of the image which she repre sents.

The characteristics associated with this card are principally dreaminess, illusion and tranquillity. She is the perfect agent and patient, able to receive and transmit everything without herself being affected thereby. If ill-dignified, all these qualities are degraded.

~ Everything that passes through her is refracted and distorted. But, speaking generally, her characteristics depend mostly upon the influences which affect her.

In the Yi King, the watery part of Water is represented by the ~8th hexagram, Tui. The commentary is as colourless as the card; it consists of mild exhortations on the subject of pleasure. It may really be said that, normally, people of this type have no character at all of their own, unless it can be called a characteristic to be at the disposition of every impact or impression. There is, however, a hint (line 6) that the chief pleasure of people of this type is to lead and attract others. Such are accordingly (often enough) exceedingly
popular

ivanna

Yep, I think it is too much for me, but I will give it a chance. Anyway, I always can leave the book and take after some time.

Richard

Like closrapexa, I've never used that divination method. I'm too impatient for that. However, the more you know about the symbolism of the cards, the easier it is to interpret them, no matter what spread you use. I most often use only a single card, but working out the interpretation may take awhile.

Since the Queen herself is simply facing the reader, I would look for other directional elements in the card, such as the ibis, which is facing to the right with respect to the reader.

ivanna

Your are right. It may be better for me to learn more about the cards instead of trying to make such complex readings.
Thank you.

ravenest

You can do simple spreads with the Thoth deck I have used the 'celtic cross' spread for 20 years and found it sufficient, for a bit more I do a 10 card Tree of Life spread.

I recommend using a spread you are comfortable with and use the book to look up a card when you want to. Eventually you might want to read a bit more about the cards or get more deeply involved with the section in the book on the majors (but there are brief passages about them too).

Actually, I have never heard of ANYONE getting the deck and the Book of Thoth and doing that spread ... and understanding what is going on ... until a few years familiarity with the deck and book.

Remember when you first learned to ride a bike ( I know ... I keep saying that) ... hard at first wasn't it ... but you didn't give up (did you :laugh:) ... now zoooooooooooooom!

Zephyros

Lately for most questions I've been doing a three-card Tree of Life spread, I find it very useful.

ravenest

Ehhh! What's that?