significator as validity sign

yogiman

Does any one use the significator procedure?

I hoped to be able to start a poll, but possibly this facility is only available for real members.

Satyatarot

I don't personally discount my readings due to my significator not being where I figured when I set out. I personally respect the Golden Dawn immensely, and find the OOTK to be... Divine for lack of a better term. However, I find that using the significator as a validity signal is slightly irresponsible. In my opinion, the placement of the significator is immensely important to the correct interpretation of the working, regardless of the expected nature of the spread. I've found that occasionally, the nature of the question is NOT the same as the nature of the problem, and finding the significator in an odd placement does not necessarily discount the operation. It DOES however force me to ask why the significator is not in place, which leads to interesting results in itself.

Zephyros

Does any one use the significator procedure?

I hoped to be able to start a poll, but possibly this facility is only available for real members.

I think the poll would be exceedingly small, as the Thoth forum tends to be small, and the number of people who regularly carry out the OOTK even smaller. :)

I don't personally discount my readings due to my significator not being where I figured when I set out. I personally respect the Golden Dawn immensely, and find the OOTK to be... Divine for lack of a better term. However, I find that using the significator as a validity signal is slightly irresponsible. In my opinion, the placement of the significator is immensely important to the correct interpretation of the working, regardless of the expected nature of the spread. I've found that occasionally, the nature of the question is NOT the same as the nature of the problem, and finding the significator in an odd placement does not necessarily discount the operation. It DOES however force me to ask why the significator is not in place, which leads to interesting results in itself.

I really, really, like your answer, as it shows great thought. When changing a settled point, it is always a good idea to form some sort of rationale behind it, rather than say, as many do, "I don't need this, I have intuition." As much as it may seem all arbitrary, all GD practices have some reason behind them.

That being said, I don't use the significator as a sign of validity for much the same reason, and do use it in much the same way as Satyatarot. Sometimes the lack of validity teaches much, and rather than throw in the towel, I prefer to investigate further and check why it isn't valid, or where it is supposed to be, etc.

ravenest

I agree with this.

Some 'sort of rational', IMO is essential in an Hermetic approach ... I know people use cards with a non-hermetic approach ... but we are Talking about hermetically based cards here.

Satyatarot

I agree with both of you on the need for a rational approach to such issues. The word Hermetic being derived from "Hermes" relating as that does to Mercury means that if one is to follow a "Hermetic" approach, one is bound not by the laws of Hermetic orders throughout history, but to the concepts that those orders represented and sprang from. First and foremost is a desire to understand the universe, and ultimately transcend understanding of the universe. "Intuition" is an essential part of this, but it is hardly the ultimate goal of a clear understanding of anything. You must, in my opinion, discover the reasoning behind your intuition's decrees. Finding first the source, then the intelligence of such decisions. To say "I don't do this because my intuition urges me not to," is a personal admission of spiritual laziness.