Beware Satanic sex-cults and Aleister Crowley!

Zephyros

Every so often I like to post gems like this. Perhaps it isn't Gems from the Equinox, but gems nonetheless. :)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/439467/Youngsters-lured-into-the-world-of-Satan-by-Halloween

"Infamously, [the OTO] was once run by occultist, heroin addict and kinky sex advocate Aleister Crowley, who died in nearby Hastings aged 72 in 1947."

Noooo, not kinky sex! Anything but that!!

More of the usual lack of research (he died in a pub??)...

Incidentally, can't find the citation, but it seems Kevin Carlyon exorcised Crowley's spirit from a couch (bed?) he, and later Jimmie Page, had slept on.

http://www.kevincarlyon.co.uk/crowley.html

Mycroft

Yes, it's a damn good job that the ultra-respectable Daily Express is stil able to get on it's high-horse and ride to the moral higher ground, so that their readers can wet their knickers over nothing in particular. (The article does actually say that Uncle Aleister "died in a nursing home in Hastings, which is now the Robert de Mortain pub" although when the Express gets things right it's usually by accident.)

As for that Jimmy Page, well any man who swans off to China and plays "Whole Lotta Love" while David 'Goldenballs' Beckham rides round on a double-decker London bus is obviously trying to convert us to Satanism by, er .... well, I'm not quite sure, but double-decker buses are clearly Satanic because you never see the Pope on one.

For some in-depth, intelligent, un-biased and well-researched reporting on this issue, try this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWa3LyvFOdc

PS. Peaches Geldof seems like a nice level-headed sort of girl.

AJ

Crowley was damn tame, compared to today's monsters that have been exposed.

Richard

Everybody knows that OTO is a bunch of raving sex maniacs, constantly trying to lure innocent victims into their Satanic cult.

conversus

Everybody knows that OTO is a bunch of raving sex maniacs, constantly trying to lure innocent victims into their Satanic cult.

Wouldn't GRINDER be a whole lot easier? Just askin'

CED

Richard

Crowley was damn tame, compared to today's monsters that have been exposed.
He tried to be a bad boy now and then, like with the goat thing (which didn't work anyhow), but as a monster he was pretty much a failure.

Grigori

The problem with satanic sex cults if you have to bring your own date ;)

And thanks for the evocative title stirring up the noobs Clos *smacks forehead* :laugh:

nisaba

He tried to be a bad boy now and then, like with the goat thing (which didn't work anyhow), but as a monster he was pretty much a failure.

If he were alive today, he'd be the Typical Suited Uncle, bemoaning the vileness of teenagers ...

Richard

If he were alive today, he'd be the Typical Suited Uncle, bemoaning the vileness of teenagers ...
LOL! He's not called 'Uncle Al' for nothing. :D

Zephyros

Well... jokes aside, I think that when analyzing historical figures, it is possible to either go to the extreme of portraying them as a villainous caricature, or the other extreme of a silly, tame caricature. I don't know many suited uncles who did that much drugs, went around the world on spiritual retreats, climbed mountains, killed goats, had that much sex, abandoned insane ex-wives or any of the things he is known for. Today's world is in many ways tamer than the one he knew; the episode with the goat probably wouldn't pass today without some sort of legal retribution, animal protection laws rightfully being what they are today. As a magickal operation it might not have worked ("work" in this case being Leah Hirsig, his Scarlet Woman, having the goat mount her) but it was attempted, after which the goat had its throat slit, amateurly, and as usually happens in these cases, probably took a while dying and in great pain.

Now, I'm not mourning a goat that has been dead a century, especially considering the wholesale nature of the meat industry. However, coming to grips with such a figure needn't go to extremes; portrayal of the man as evil does him a disservice, portrayal of him as comical does those around him who may have suffered from his single-mindedness a disservice.

As for thinking teens are vile, every previous generation does that, although I personally think he would enjoy the 21st century.