What is Love?

Aeon418

Anything to say about Love? :)

Here's a little sippet from Jim Eshelman's latest book, Pearls of Wisdom (p.6-7).

James A. Eshelman said:
The Greek Agape means "love." It refers to our experience that there is no separation between any of us - that all of us are inseverably ONE, part of a single whole. Agape is the complement of the individualizing, differentiating principle called Thelema. Love is unity, as Qabalah instructs us. In practical spiritual training, Agape refers to passionate love of the Divine as a basis for profound and unconditional human love. Essentially, it is the same as the Hindu bhakti.

Two Thelemic aphorisms from The Book of the Law especially articulate the importance of this second principle: "Love is the Law, love under will," and "Love one another with burning hearts."

You can, perhaps, understand the important doctrine of "love under will" by regarding it as love as choice - love as the context of Will - and, more deeply, love in the service of Will. Connection between us (as in human relationships) is the crucible of individual distinction. Mature individuality arises most healthily, powerfully, and distinctively from the context of closeness and connection.

yogiman

Your theory leaves you wide open to abuse from others who adopt it eg I think it is my will to save souls ... souls are more important than the body , I notice that in the inquisition some people confessed and turned to God under torture .... or a law that says if you are not if the book you must confess Islam or be put to the sword ... if I was a devout medieval Moslem (or any other type of modern person with a lesser agenda ) I would help you ... knock on your door on sunday and want you to look at pamphlets ... want you to change your sexual preferences ... I would want someone to 'SAVE' me ... so I will do that to you ... even if I have to throw you in the river and cleanse you of sin and hold you under and ... :bugeyed: goodness, that philosophy is infective!

Your reaction reminds me of Don Quichotte, who was fighting against windmills.

And then, what does the book of the law say?:
42. The ordeals thou shalt oversee thyself, save only the blind ones. Refuse none, but thou shalt know & destroy the traitors. I am Ra-Hoor-Khuit; and I am powerful to protect my servant. Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not over much! Them that seek to entrap thee, to overthrow thee, them attack without pity or quarter; & destroy them utterly. Swift as a trodden serpent turn and strike! Be thou yet deadlier than he! Drag down their souls to awful torment: laugh at their fear: spit upon them!

Okay but you 'maybed' it as an above all inspiration ... why not other maybes?

When I say "for sure" it means 100% for sure, when I say "maybe" it means 65% for sure, and when I say nothing it is some variable between 65% and 100%.

ravenest

When I say "for sure" it means 100% for sure, when I say "maybe" it means 65% for sure, and when I say nothing it is some variable between 65% and 100%.

I prefer the 65% to 100% model where you say nothing ;)

yogiman

To make my behavior clear, I am in the process of determining whether Crowley is low karat gold or high karat gold.

ravenest

To make my behavior clear, I am in the process of determining whether Crowley is low karat gold or high karat gold.

extract whatever gold there is for you

yogiman

I think that Karrma is the only participant in this thread who would be able to give objective, down to earth advice.

ravenest

Why? because you subjectively like her responses best? Or because she is a scientists? Or because .....

yogiman

Because the others read the Book of the Law more than once, for sure.