A special reading for Zephyros

Michael Sternbach

Hi Zephyros,

Here is the reading that you asked me for, well, um, some time ago.

When I happened to find a spread by Chic Cicero called "The Philosopher's Stone",

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/2469

I knew it was the right one for you. It's all about internal development and alchemy. Interpreting it is somewhat sophisticated. Feel free to discuss with me anything that needs clarification or invites further comments.

I laid this spread already a little while ago. I hope that it's still relevant. But since it outlines an alchemical process that gradually unfolds in your psyche, I think it should be.

-----------------------------------------------3--------2
-----------------------------------------------5--------4

1 = Prime matter = Ace of Swords

The root of the air element: The Sword of Thelema cutting through the mist of ambiguities and unclear thoughts. It carries solar and lunar symbols on its handle, representing the unison of conscious and unconscious forces. The intellectual mind is going to clarify your psyche, and be itself clarified, as previously suppressed contents are raised into the light.

2 = Mercury = XIII (Death)
Realization and letting go is the transforming mercurial power. It goes without saying that this may involve a degree of pain. It is interesting that this card belongs to the water element, as Mercury in Alchemy is both watery and airy.

3 = Sulphur = 7 of Wands (Valour)
The force that propels you here is determined and fierce. There is likely some resentment and anger. It may in part be a reaction to the helplessness experienced in the previous card. Note that the element of the card again coincides with the principle ascribed to its position, fiery Sulphur.

4 = Salt = V (The Hierophant)
What mediates between the two aforesaid forces is the spiritually mature and sophisticated part of you that will at once be further developed in the process. Note again that the card's element corresponds with the principle that belongs to its position.

Further, the four cards form the Aristotelian cross of the elements. How great to see this in an alchemical spread!

5 = Separation = 5 of Wands (Strife)
This card shows what needs to be broken down into its pieces, literally analysed: Anger and frustration resulting from suppression (Saturn in Leo). So, again, there is a male/active/yang and a female/passive/yin side to this. From another angle, the three kinds of wands stand for the three principles in your psyche that are "separated": The phoenix represents the male, the lotus the female, and the eye of horus with the double snakes their balancing.

6 = Purification = III (The Empress)
What needs to be purified is the female side of your psyche (anima), externally represented by women in general and your mother in particular. Maybe she is or was being perceived as suppressive and demanding? In any case, your relationship to her is likely in need of some clarification and transformation, internally and/or externally.

7 = Recombination = IV (The Emperor)
Your purified female side recombined with your male side (animus) results in the restoration of your sense of male identity and dignity. Also, this card can be seen as representing the Philosopher's Stone (the Red Stone) per say. Very cool that it shows up in this position.

8 = The Philosopher's Stone = X (Fortune)
This is an indication of your Opus Magnum resulting in great success: An expansion of consciousness (Jupiter) opening up new possibilities and opportunities for you. In the three beings on the wheel, the three principles are represented. The mediating sphinx on top is gloriously holding the sword. If I were Freudian in orientation, I might also go into some psycho babble about Oedipus solving the riddle of the sphinx here, but since I am of a more Jungian outlook, I will refrain from doing so. :D

Quintessence (summary) = XII (The Hanged Man)
This card suits the overall theme perfectly: The descent into the waters of the psyche that is necessary in order to eventually emerge from those subconscious dimensions with an expanded consciousness. Initially a regression of sorts, perhaps, as the card numerically resonates with The Empress (12 = 3), the mother, and is reminiscent of a child's head down position in the womb. "There is no coming to consciousness without pain" (C.G.Jung).

Shadow card = XVII (The Star)
Here you have it. The vision of the healed and ascended self. At once a proposal and a promise.

I hope there is something of value you can gather from this reading.

Michael

Zephyros

Thank you for the wonderful reading Michael! I've had tonsilitis these past few days and am just coming up to speed. I'll chew on the reading in my mind and give feedback tomorrow.

Zephyros

I laid this spread already a little while ago. I hope that it's still relevant. But since it outlines an alchemical process that gradually unfolds in your psyche, I think it should be.

Definitely was. Amazing reading! I just wanted to take a chance to thank you before I got into feedback.

-----------------------------------------------3--------2
-----------------------------------------------5--------4

1 = Prime matter = Ace of Swords

The root of the air element: The Sword of Thelema cutting through the mist of ambiguities and unclear thoughts. It carries solar and lunar symbols on its handle, representing the unison of conscious and unconscious forces. The intellectual mind is going to clarify your psyche, and be itself clarified, as previously suppressed contents are raised into the light.

How very true. I am a very thought-oriented person and often my mind dictates my spirit. This goes for many things including my esoteric and spiritual studies. The downside of this is although I "know" my spirituality, I don't often "feel" or believe it unless it is in times of stress. The upside is that I can see through my own emotional blockages, even if I can objectively handle them.

2 = Mercury = XIII (Death)
Realization and letting go is the transforming mercurial power. It goes without saying that this may involve a degree of pain. It is interesting that this card belongs to the water element, as Mercury in Alchemy is both watery and airy.

Yes, I can see this as well. My life really has been marked by a series of great transformations, sometimes to my detriment. This can lead to a lack of stability. I suppose the driving force in my life really is transformation and perhaps putrefaction (a kind of "stone soup" affair!).

3 = Sulphur = 7 of Wands (Valour)
The force that propels you here is determined and fierce. There is likely some resentment and anger. It may in part be a reaction to the helplessness experienced in the previous card. Note that the element of the card again coincides with the principle ascribed to its position, fiery Sulphur.

Yes, there certainly is that. I've been dealing with certain issues lately, and "helplessness" in the face if them is certainly one of the keywords. In some way dealing with that is making it into a strength, using it to my advantage.

4 = Salt = V (The Hierophant)
What mediates between the two aforesaid forces is the spiritually mature and sophisticated part of you that will at once be further developed in the process. Note again that the card's element corresponds with the principle that belongs to its position.[/quote]

Yes, I'm beginning to see what the reading is pointing at. I can't give too many details here, but let me tell you, you've unearthed some pretty startling insights! Part of the process deals with written literature but also the ability to ask for help and to lean on others that are wiser and more experienced than I. I have always found it hard to ask for help and I'm trying hard to learn.

Further, the four cards form the Aristotelian cross of the elements. How great to see this in an alchemical spread!

Yes, I fit nicely. ;)

5 = Separation = 5 of Wands (Strife)
This card shows what needs to be broken down into its pieces, literally analysed: Anger and frustration resulting from suppression (Saturn in Leo). So, again, there is a male/active/yang and a female/passive/yin side to this. From another angle, the three kinds of wands stand for the three principles in your psyche that are "separated": The phoenix represents the male, the lotus the female, and the eye of horus with the double snakes their balancing.

Wow, completely. I don't have much to say about this, you've said it all. I really do feel separated and hope to unite my many sides. Also I have trouble carrying my spiritual side, which is very strong, into practice, because I don't fully believe in it or myself, or see it being able to be relevant in the real world.

6 = Purification = III (The Empress)
What needs to be purified is the female side of your psyche (anima), externally represented by women in general and your mother in particular. Maybe she is or was being perceived as suppressive and demanding? In any case, your relationship to her is likely in need of some clarification and transformation, internally and/or externally.

This stumped me a little, I'll have to think about that. I have had immense problems with my mother in the past. We worked through many of them while others just lie fallow or are just not relevant anymore. She isn't that big an influence in my life. However, I have a close friend and roommate with whom the relationship can at times be very intense and complicated. This is due to us being both friends and roommates. She's the dominant woman in my life right now, and her demanding attitude certainly has been an issue lately. I'll have to think about this one.

7 = Recombination = IV (The Emperor)
Your purified female side recombined with your male side (animus) results in the restoration of your sense of male identity and dignity. Also, this card can be seen as representing the Philosopher's Stone (the Red Stone) per say. Very cool that it shows up in this position.

So... is this my Will? I guess my manhood could use some asserting, put my foot down, as it were.

8 = The Philosopher's Stone = X (Fortune)
This is an indication of your Opus Magnum resulting in great success: An expansion of consciousness (Jupiter) opening up new possibilities and opportunities for you. In the three beings on the wheel, the three principles are represented. The mediating sphinx on top is gloriously holding the sword. If I were Freudian in orientation, I might also go into some psycho babble about Oedipus solving the riddle of the sphinx here, but since I am of a more Jungian outlook, I will refrain from doing so. :D

Very good to have something to look forward to. This also fits the theme of change found in the entirety of the reading. The cards seem to merge well together.

Quintessence (summary) = XII (The Hanged Man)
This card suits the overall theme perfectly: The descent into the waters of the psyche that is necessary in order to eventually emerge from those subconscious dimensions with an expanded consciousness. Initially a regression of sorts, perhaps, as the card numerically resonates with The Empress (12 = 3), the mother, and is reminiscent of a child's head down position in the womb. "There is no coming to consciousness without pain" (C.G.Jung).

Amazing, through immersion in the bosom of the Beloved can one be reborn. Again, I don't really have anything to say, your interpretations resonate perfectly and make much sense.

Shadow card = XVII (The Star)
Here you have it. The vision of the healed and ascended self. At once a proposal and a promise.

Always a good thing to have, but as the shadow card I suppose it can also point to my tendency toward idealism and a lack of realism.

I hope there is something of value you can gather from this reading.

Michael

Amazing reading, thanks. I really learned a lot from it. Some of it I will ponder over the next few days and update this thread, you have certainly given me a lot to think about!