New Book??

Barleywine

Thanks for your help Barleywine, and Zephyros l note the wonderful information that can be had here and will be getting really stuck in when my deck comes.

As to the new book its on Amazon now, you can look at the index etc. would be interested to know what you Thoth folk thing of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Gu...8-1&keywords=ultimate+guide+to+the+thoth+book

Hmm, I wonder how he could do everything claimed in 216 pages. VERY small type? Judging from some of his quotes, the author SEEMS to have his head on straight. I might give it a spin, as long as there isn't too much New Age "chrome" about it.

Zephyros

Hmm, I wonder how he could do everything claimed in 216 pages. VERY small type? Judging from some of his quotes, the author SEEMS to have his head on straight. I might give it a spin, as long as there isn't too much New Age "chrome" about it.

Don't forget the "hundreds" of color illustrations. Seems very glossy hype, but it will be interesting at least to see what they consider as the ten most important symbols on a card. I admit, not all symbols are created equal, and not everyone really, really needs to hunt down the obscure poetry pertaining to the sparrow on the Empress, so some things really can be pared down.

Samweiss

I took a quick glance through the pages of Amazon preview, and here's some of my thoughts:

One of the authors has also written "The Complete Guide to the Rider Waite Tarot", which isn't that well received book from my understanding.

But anyway, in the astrology section of Thoth book, I noticed that the authors use the modern correspondecies (Fool as Uranus, Hanged Man as Neptune and Aeon as Pluto). I'm not a fan of using modern planets, but that's just me. Then the authors assign each court all the minor arcana cards corresponding their zodiac sign, which is just incorrect. Then there's some funny looking things like Fortune is named as Luck (translation error?), and The Fool is numbered both 0 and 22.

These are some of the things that stood out for me.

Zephyros

These are some of the things that stood out for me.

I myself haven't had a chance to look at it yet but you're right. Small, seemingly minor things but that, in the Thoth especially, have huge implications. I could see the logic of simplifying things somewhat, but some of what you mention really is jarring.

I'll heat up some soup and sit down to read the Amazon link in a while.

Barleywine

Don't forget the "hundreds" of color illustrations. Seems very glossy hype, but it will be interesting at least to see what they consider as the ten most important symbols on a card. I admit, not all symbols are created equal, and not everyone really, really needs to hunt down the obscure poetry pertaining to the sparrow on the Empress, so some things really can be pared down.

My main concern is that it turns out to be just a "repackaging." I liken this to the "gold" spectrum (all of these analogies are strictly "IMHO," by the way):

There's 24-carat solid-gold bullion - the "real deal": Crowley's Book of Thoth

Then there's 14-carat jewelry-grade gold, "worked" or carved gold whose elegance depends upon the eye and hand of the artisan: DuQuette, Wang

Next, 10-carat gold alloy, cast into rings and such; durable and functional but less valuable: some of the better Banzhaf

Followed by gold plate, just a thin veneer of precious metal: some of the lesser Banzhaf

Finally, "fool's gold," which is where I stick Ziegler

Time will tell where Fiebig lands. Anyone have books to add? I admit I'm not especially current on who has been mining the "Thoth motherlode."

ETA: If this is wandering too OT, please disregard.

Zephyros

No, that's alright, as long as the new book is the main topic, that's fine. Comparing it to others is great. We all operate under the same restrictions. :)

To the fool's gold I would add the Angeles Arrien book. Now, that one has generated some of the most heated threads this forum has ever known. If the new book puts the Fool at 22, I fear it might be made of the same stuff.

Samweiss

Time will tell where Fiebig lands. Anyone have books to add? I admit I'm not especially current on who has been mining the "Thoth motherlode."

Well, there's the book "Tarot and The Magus" by Paul Hughes-Barlow which is really about opening of the key spread, but I consider it Thoth-related. The author has some interesting ideas, but his representation and writing style is a some what confusing at times.

Then there's Snuffin's "Thoth Companion" which I haven't read, unfortunately, so can't comment on that.

Also, I've been looking for books written by Phyllis Seckler, but I haven't dared to buy any yet, they are a bit too pricey for me at the moment. I'd like to hear some recommendations if you of you have read these. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Thoth-Tarot-Astrology-Selected-Writings/dp/0933429193

Barleywine

But anyway, in the astrology section of Thoth book, I noticed that the authors use the modern correspondecies (Fool as Uranus, Hanged Man as Neptune and Aeon as Pluto). I'm not a fan of using modern planets, but that's just me.

Me, too. I don't use the modern correspondences either, mainly because the elemental Air, Water and Fire associations work just fine, but also because I don't really buy where the modern planets were placed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't use those planets for very much in astrology these days either; I've matured from a New Age-type psychological astrologer to a traditionalist with just seven "planets" in my working model. But human nature apparently "abhors a vacuum" too, thus the push to allocate everything in the sky for no good reason other than "it's there" (or so it seems to me).

Regarding the court cards, there are a few charts around the forum that align the courts to the decans according to the quadrants of space they rule. Robert Wang also included one in The Qabalistic Tarot that agrees with those produced by forum members. I'll be interested to see where the Fiebig/Burger product diverges.