Thoth - Notes on Symbolism (Fool)

Kimber

Since completing my borderectomy on my extra greenie the other night, I've renewed my relationship with this deck. I got out my trusty magnifying glass and pulled some reference books and decided to get into the symbolism more.

I'm stuck on one symbol, though - what IS that thingy in the crocodile's ear?? It's got to have something to do with messages to the conscious mind gfrom the unconscious (or subconscious)....but I don't know what it is. It looks sort of like a wadded up kleenex, but maybe it's a rose. :c)

Here's what I've got so far on The Fool:

Hebrew Letter
Aleph (Ox, ploughshare)

Represents the source of all things. The initial and final balance of opposites. The state of consciousness before birth and after death.

Main Figure
Bacchus (Dionysus). Represents the creative power of giving birth to new forms from a state of wonder and anticipation, rather than from fear. Green to represent spring.

Crocodile
Symbolizes the maximum of creative energy, because the crocodile at one time was thought to have no means to sexually reproduce. The crocodile appears to be biting the umbilical loop, as if to tap into the source of the energy. Instinctual nature; archaic forces. The collective unconscious.

Intertwined People
The ability to create new forms of relationship.

Dove of Venus
A symbol of unconditional love, pureness of spirit, and fidelity.

Butterfly
Transformation.; transmutation.

Ivy Leaf
The ivy's need to cling is representative of the need for divine support. It is an evergreen, symbolizing eternal life and resurrection. Ivy thrives on dead trees, and has been used to symbolize the immortal soul which lives on, even though the body (represented by the dead tree) decays.

“ Because it thrives in the shade, ivy represents debauchery, carousing, merrymaking, sensuality, the flourishing of hidden desires, and the enjoyment of secret or forbidden pleasures. Dionysus (a.k.a. Bacchus) the Greco-Roman god of wine, satyrs and Sileni are often wreathed in ivy. Crowns of ivy were believed to prevent intoxication and thought to aid inspirational thinking.”

Grapes
Sacred to Bacchus. Double-natured; mad (drunk). Fruitfulness. Sweetness and the basis of ecstasy. The stem of the grapes develops into the umbilical coils, expressing this ecstasy.

Upside Down Cup in Right Hand
Element of water (feminine) being blended by the right hand (masculine).

Flaming Pinecone in Left Hand
Element of fire (masculine) being blended with the left hand (feminine).

Tiger Biting Leg
Oriental symbol of fear. Fear attempts to bite him, but he doesn’t give it any power (refuses to acknowledge it.) Instinctual nature.

Feet Pointing Up
Lightness of spirit or being.

Astrological Symbols on Coins in Pouch
Abundance and talents.

Crystals (or Steam) on Yellow Field
Representative of the “crystallization” of emotion and ideas, as represented by the blending of fire and water.

Vulture of Maut
The Egyptian goddess Maut represents the primeval darkness of chaos, the one principle of the universe. The vulture is her symbol.

Umbilical Coils Encircling Fool and Fool’s Heart Chakra
The coil around the heart chakra symbolizes the fool’s nature to give birth to new feelings.
The second coil contains four symbols representing new ways of giving birth to health and well being (caduceus, butterfly, vulture, and dove). The third loop of the cord supports two intertwined figures, representing our capacity to create new forms of relationship. The last loop encompasses the crocodile.

Rainbow Around Head
Conscious ecstasy. Radiant energy.

Caduceus
Cycle of life and death.

Pig Snout
Fool-ish. Shows the hysterical, maniacal aspect, trickster, Joker aspect. The pig represents fertility, luck, innocence, and abundance….but also stubbornness (“pig-headedness”) and destructive tendencies. Like the wild boar, the Fool’s task is to confront without fear, to tear apart the lies and get at the truth.

Horns
Bacchus. Also representative of the Fool’s “devilish” or contrary side; unwilling to take advice; self-centered and selfish.

Triangle of Light at Crown Chakra
The “phallic cone of white light representing the influence from the Crown upon him.”

Sun Belt over Root Chakra
The ability to bring creativity into solid matter. “The focus of the microcosm is the radiant sun.” The sun appears in the exact center of the card.

Three White Germinating Flowers
Represent different stages of growth and unfoldment; germination, cross-pollination.

Crescent above Crocodile
Feminine reflection of the masculine sun on the Fool’s belt.

Thingy in Crocodile’s Ear??

Background of Air
“Dawning from space…bursting unexpectedly upon the world.”

Shoes
The “phallic gold of the sun”.

References
http://ww2.netnitco.net/users/legend01/index.html
A. Crowley
A. Arrien
L. M. DuQuette
H. Banzhaf; B. Theler
J. Sams

ravenest

Kimber said:
Thingy in Crocodile’s Ear??

Thanks for the post and the v. good question.I can say without a doubt that that is what it is ie, a 'Thingy'

Had a good look at my card (its v.worn), looked like a grey pink swirley with a blue lilac violet hebrew letter styled l on the bottom and RH side. Looked on my neighbours cards, virtually brand new, and it looked like a clearer grey pink swirley with a blue lilac violet hebrew letter styled l on the bottom and RH side.
I looked through a magnifying glass and also a reading lense, the same. Looked at it through both and the mystery was revealed; it was a collection of various coloured printers dots.

A globular wrinkled flower with a teat/spincter in the midddle? A crushed water flower sticking out of the crocodiles mouth? (I always assumed it was a flower without checking it.) Possibly it is not part of the croc, it is on line with the other central images (Sun, flowers embracing couple, moon) so could be a part of that progression?

Asked a friend what she thought it was and she said it looked like a sick wichety grub !

(see my post in 'Opinions on Crowley' thread.)

Come on guys, p[itch in, what the hell is this critter???

Rusty Neon

Kimber said:
I'm stuck on one symbol, though - what IS that thingy in the crocodile's ear?? It's got to have something to do with messages to the conscious mind gfrom the unconscious (or subconscious)....but I don't know what it is. It looks sort of like a wadded up kleenex, but maybe it's a rose. :c)

Gerd Ziegler agrees with you. In _Mirror of the Soul_, he speculates that "the rose that it [the crocodile] wears symbolizes the unfolding of creative powers". It's too bad that Crowley doesn't say what it's supposed to be.

ravenest

Also

What is the blue, fanned, wingey, horizontal thingo, intruding vertically and on the loop behind the butterfly?

Grigori

ravenest said:
What is the blue, fanned, wingey, horizontal thingo, intruding vertically and on the loop behind the butterfly?

I thought that was a Vulture, which I got from Duquette section on the Fool.
Duquette said:
...and the Egyptian vulture-goddess Maut pour from the Holy Grail in the Fool's right hand

He then refers you to the section on the chariot where he quotes Crowley

Crowley said:
The Issue of the Vulture, Two in One,
conveyed; this is the Chariot of Power.

TRINC: the last oracle.

To my eyes it's a blue bird, flying parallel to the dove above, her head on one side of the swirl, the left wing on the other (but kinda twisty).

At first I thought the blue swirl was something coming out of the Fool's nipple. If it turns out not to be a Vulture, we are back to my breast milk theory :D In which case I would prefer it was yellow, and we could have a colostrum theory ;)

Parzival

Thoth-- Symbolism of the Fool

It's a flower over the crocodile's ear, possibly for Higher Nature evolved
out of or with Lower Nature ; Beauty-Truth blooming from or with monstrosity. Kosmos inside chaos, like a diamond in the coal.

kwaw

Butterfly also symbol of soul [hence Crowleys original title to Moonchild, 'The Butterfly Net'.]

Kwaw

Abrac

Thanks for bringing this up Kimber. I always just assumed it was a "glowing" eye of the croc. However, I now have you to thank for a wider knowledge base in crocodile anatomy. :)

To me it looks like a white or pinkish rose emerging out of the side of the croc's head. The rose is generally a symbol of love. This could be a symbol for the new Aeon ("Love is the law, Love under will") emerging from the crocodile (Egypt). The Fool is probably Crowley himself - prophet of the Aeon.

WOGIT

Nice thread :)

Kimber

One Down, 77 to Go

Abrac said:
Thanks for bringing this up Kimber. I always just assumed it was a "glowing" eye of the croc. However, I now have you to thank for a wider knowledge base in crocodile anatomy. :)

Glad to oblige, Abrac. :c) I plan to work my way slowly through the cards, so maybe everyone will feel like juming into the fray. Will be on business travel until next week, though....but rest assured, I have not forgotten!
<cocks hat low over brow and exits stage right>