Thoth - Notes on Symbolism (Fool)

Aeon418

So I think it's a gill, too many seafood references.

I'm not convinced the 'blob' is part of the crocodile. My personal opinon is that it's actually supposed to be a fetus. I guess it could represent the Fool-Spirit 'swallowed up' by matter (Croc/Saturn) and ties in with what looks like a progressive descent towards manifestation.

Just my 2 cents...

Richard

Maybe it's a snail. Snails are hermaphrodites, and some can even reproduce without mating.

Attachments

• snail.jpg
    snail.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 94

ravenest

Its a piece of croissant and blueberry jam that Frieda dropped on it when painting.

Richard

Its a piece of croissant and blueberry jam that Frieda dropped on it when painting.
Artists normally don't eat while painting because they must handle highly toxic substances such as the cadmium red and yellow pigments. There are safe alternatives nowadays (which also are much cheaper than the cadmiums) but they were not available when Frieda was painting. So there. :p

ravenest

:laugh:

I know Crowley was a VERY busy chap, but I do whish he had written about all the symbols and images on the deck ... I mean they either came from him or Harris, there must have been some communication about what would be on the card or not ... I wonder if it exists somewhere still, hidden away ...? - somewhere. ... Or all verbal?

I find for the wealth of symbols used, there is not much written about them (all) in the BoT.

Richard

PCS painted a snail in the 9 of Pentacles. It's sort of the ultimate symbol of self sufficiency, but I wonder if there is a deeper, more spooky, magical meaning. In the Bible, the snail is a lazy good-for-nothing. You're supposed to be a mindless workaholic like an ant, not a snail/slug. "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise..." [Proverbs 6:6]

ETA. Crowley's words of wisdom: .... in Russia, the bedbug “is as inseparable from the bed as the snail is from his shell.” [Kaczynski, Richard (2012-04-10). Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Life of Aleister Crowley (p. 263). North Atlantic Books. Kindle Edition.]

Zephyros

:laugh:

I know Crowley was a VERY busy chap, but I do whish he had written about all the symbols and images on the deck ... I mean they either came from him or Harris, there must have been some communication about what would be on the card or not ... I wonder if it exists somewhere still, hidden away ...? - somewhere. ... Or all verbal?

I find for the wealth of symbols used, there is not much written about them (all) in the BoT.

I quite like this, actually, it gives much more freedom, by which I don't mean New Age make-up-things-on-the-fly kind, but using the tools provided, earning a kind of mastery (real freedom). It also makes sense when taking the Comment into consideration; if you aren't allowed to tell anyone else what the Book of Law is, then the same goes for its pictorial representation, in essence, you have to find out for yourself through trial and error.

In this sense the Book of Thoth is an additional commentary on the Book of Law, and some of the sketchiest entries can only really be grasped through reading the corresponding Aethyrs, which he cites and points the reader to.

But you already know all of this :D

Aeon418

I know Crowley was a VERY busy chap, but I do whish he had written about all the symbols and images on the deck ...

Maybe in this instance he couldn't talk openly without breaking his oaths of secrecy.

ravenest

What? Its the snail of the 7th degree ... a piece of the Holy croissant from the French Gnostic Mass ... come on .... no clucking without laying an egg.

{Unless you are just speculating and not 'teasing'?}

Aeon418

ravenest said:
What? Its the snail of the 7th degree ... a piece of the Holy croissant from the French Gnostic Mass ... come on .... no clucking without laying an egg.

{Unless you are just speculating and not 'teasing'?}

I was thinking about Lon DuQuette's closing remarks on this card in his Thoth book. To me the 'french pastry' looks like the final outcome of the sexual process indicated by the symbols between the groin/Sun and the tiny moon just above the croc.
(Also the 'pastry' is floating in a crescent formed by the spirals. Within this crescent is Sebek and a tiger. The tiger is biting the Fool's 'thigh'. ;) The whole thing, at least on one level, says 'generation' to me. That's why I think the 'pastry' is meant to be a fetus or 'magical child'.)

I'm guessing you don't have Lon's book, so I'll quote. (UACTT p.98)
Lon Milo DuQuette said:
The Fool is the Holy Spirit itself. The dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit; the butterfly, symbol of transformation; winged globe, symbol of Mercurial air; and the Egyptian vulture-goddess Maut pour from the Holy Grail in the Fool's right hand. Like the Virgin Mary, Maut became impregnated by the spirit (breath) of the wind. "The whole picture," Crowley tells us, "is a glyph of the creative light."

With that in mind, I would finally like to draw the reader's attention to the image of the Sun covering the groin area of the Fool, and the almost invisible image of the Moon directly above the head of the crocodile. Between these two primary symbols of male and female are what Crowley describes as "twin infants embracing on the middle spiral. Above them hangs the benediction of the three flowers in one."

We can only speculate on the meanings of these symbols. In my opinion, it is highly likely that they allude, at least in part, to certain aspects of sexual alchemy that Crowley was not inclined to dwell upon in detail in published material. Certainly, the powers and unlimited potential of the generative process might fall appropriately into the category of "the creative light." Other speculations aside, here at the very beginning of our study of the other cards I ask that you not lose sight of the obvious fact that the Fool's genitals are hidden by the Sun.

After reading that I can't help thinking about the beautiful 'Anthem' in the Gnostic Mass. To all intents and purposes it's an invocation of THAT which is represented by the Fool. "Thou One in Three, Thou Three in One!"
(Readers unfamiliar with the Anthem might like to check out section VII of the Mass: Of the Office of the Anthem, while meditating on Atu 0.)
http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib15.html

Elsewhere Liber Tau, the first column, gives us Aleph as a potency, that is transmited through the medium or 'vehicle' of Cheth. The result manifesting in Samekh. (Aleph + Cheth + Samekh = 69. See Book of Lies chp.69. "Little children, love one another!")

The Fool: Be neither man nor woman, but both in one.

The Chariot: The Issue of the Vulture, Two-in-One, conveyed; this is the Chariot of Power. TRINC: the last oracle.

Art: Dissolve the Pearl in the Wine-cup; drink, and make manifest the Virtue of that Pearl.

No wonder Crowley thought he was skating on thin ice in the Book of Thoth. I'm sure he says somewhere that he was "rapped over the knuckles" for being a little too open. His defence was that the children have already got the matches. })