5 of disks (worry)

Teheuti

SilentBreeze said:
The wierd thing is my material situation is pretty good so I think I am interpreting it as maybe me worrying over nothing.
Other cards in the spread would give you more information. For me, Disks signify "worth, value and security" - because these concepts operate at so many different levels. Therefore: "anxiety concerning your worth, value and security." In a totally different direction: the suit can also refer to your body - for instance, joints "worrying" against each other. Taurus is the neck so maybe something to do with your vertebrae - not that I'm suggesting this in your case.

But what would you do to overcome this if it is all in your head.
Despite the card being Mercury in Taurus, it's not necessarily all in your head. The situation can be quite real. If the card is part of a larger spread then I do what I call the "Breakthrough Process," which I write about in several of my books (see Tarot for Your Self). It's too long to go into here but it helps you choose a focus and direction that's in alignment with your highest goal as shown in the spread.

Often it is the story you tell yourself about the situation that can make a big difference - especially when it comes to worrying. I try to separate "what is" from the meaning I give it. A favorite book that's helped me work with this is _Loving What Is_ by Byron Katie. Sometimes I draw cards to help as I go through her process. Some people love her approach and others hate it. Meditation also helps to put things into perspective.

Mary

SilentBreeze

Teheuti said:
Other cards in the spread would give you more information. For me, Disks signify "worth, value and security" - because these concepts operate at so many different levels. Therefore: "anxiety concerning your worth, value and security." In a totally different direction: the suit can also refer to your body - for instance, joints "worrying" against each other. Taurus is the neck so maybe something to do with your vertebrae - not that I'm suggesting this in your case.

Despite the card being Mercury in Taurus, it's not necessarily all in your head. The situation can be quite real. If the card is part of a larger spread then I do what I call the "Breakthrough Process," which I write about in several of my books (see Tarot for Your Self). It's too long to go into here but it helps you choose a focus and direction that's in alignment with your highest goal as shown in the spread.

Often it is the story you tell yourself about the situation that can make a big difference - especially when it comes to worrying. I try to separate "what is" from the meaning I give it. A favorite book that's helped me work with this is _Loving What Is_ by Byron Katie. Sometimes I draw cards to help as I go through her process. Some people love her approach and others hate it. Meditation also helps to put things into perspective.

Mary

Thanks, that does clarify a lot. I actually do have your book tarot for your self and I will see if I can find the breakthrough process. Thinking of it as "anxiety concerning your worth, value and security." makes it make more sense.

caridwen

It was suggested that I look up the etymology of the word skeat in regards to this card. Here are the definitions I found:

capsize
1788, a nautical word of obscure origin, perhaps (as Skeat suggests) from Sp. capuzar "to sink by the head," from cabo "head."

struggle (v.)
c.1386, probably a frequentative form, of uncertain origin. Skeat suggests O.N. strugr "ill will;" others suggest a connection to Du. struikelen, Ger. straucheln "to stumble." The noun is first recorded 1692.

schooner
1716, perhaps from a New England verb related to Scottish scon "to send over water, to skip stones." Skeat relates this dial. verb to shunt.

lazy
1549, laysy, of unknown origin. Replaced native slack, slothful, and idle as the main word expressing the notion of "averse to work." In 19c. thought to be from lay (v.) as tipsy from tip. Skeat is responsible for the prevailing modern view that it probably comes from Low Ger., cf. M.L.G. laisch "weak, feeble, tired," ...

I think it refers to Struggle or ill will.

It also bears relation to the Sphinx (Greek) which comes from the word sphiggo - to strangle. I'm wondering if this is a transitory card, as Oedipus destroyed the Sphinx, he marked the threshold between the old religions and the new.

Astrologically it seems a most unfortunate card: Mercury ruling Taurus - Material Trouble

It seems to be a card of emotion, situational rather than active: Strife, sadness, treachery, deceit, destruction, ill-will; poverty, anxiety, grief. Inability to come to terms past loss and failure and Mourning...yet is stands between Power and Success, again hinting at a transition. As one moves through the tunnel, its difficult to picture the end, but there will be a dawn and all is not lost.

The picture is of a machine held in place over a fire. The symbols represent the different chakras and the five Chinese elements. The symbol at the bottom is a representation of the feeling that is associated with cerebral space: dark, hollow and empty.

I'm wondering about this card as an aspect of a person. Does it show them at a transitory stage or on the verge of a breakdown or indeed, breakthrough?

mooiedragon

Interesting insight, Caridwen!

I have been getting this card in my own personal readings for the last little while and thought it might be worthwhile to share what it seems to represent for me.

When the card comes up I feel "uh-oh!" Things are not usually going well when this card appears and that's where the worry comes in. For me it has shown up because I haven't been able to figure out how a) what is causing the worry in the first place, and b)what can be done to smooth things out. Actually, mostly I was worrying because I didn't know how to fix a certain problem, and it was a card that signified an inability to act. The key to overcoming the negative vibe from the card is to figure out what can be done and then go do it. So, I guess to answer your question... for me it represents somebody on the verge of either a breakthrough or a breakdown. So it's kind of pre-transition

willowfox

mooiedragon said:
for me it represents somebody on the verge of either a breakthrough or a breakdown. So it's kind of pre-transition

I don't see it as a break through at all because the difficulties that this person finds themselves in is blinding them from seeking the help that they need.

And as for true love, I just can't see it, any type of love does not last long under the harsh conditions of the 5 pents.

isismoontarot

Views on the 5 of Disks (Worry)

When this card is drawn - it conveys to me the indication of a personal disturbance. Can represent someone infringing on your territory.
It's hard to believe and hurting if you are not ready to accept.

Lesson: Live in the present. Joy of life is living here and now. Life has quite a complex structure. Seek and enjoy the pain to become wise. WORRY = living in the past.
To live without worry is to live in the present. Joy is the present state. The past has served us well by giving experience and wisdom - carry it, use it - in the “NOW“.

"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." If you look to the future and see something nasty ahead, then you sit and worry about it. Try to remember - what you put your attention on grows. So if you worry about your problem, it is sure to just get bigger!

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the
past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but
to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” --Buddha

BLESSINGS OF PEACE, LOVE & LIGHT ....
VAL -*ISIS MOON TAROT*-

mystic mal

I always associate the 5 of pentacles with loss,not only of financial loss but loss of faith in oneself....some folk count their own self worth or self values on how well they have done in life and if the bank balance looks good then they feel good but take it all away and they feel worth.less.I also see it as loss of earnings because of illness such as joint problems or nervous system.

rachelcat

IDSing away here!

5 = change, conflict, troubles
Disks = health and wealth

Financial loss, health problems

5 gears create the ubiquitous inverted pentagram. The hubs of the gears are decorated with the tattwas, the Indian symbols of the elements. They are not in positions equivalent to astro order: Fire, Water, Air, Earth. These are Fire, Air, Water, Earth. Hmmm. “Instability of the very foundations of matter.”

These disks are indeed “stolid and obstinate.” And massive. Are the gears cracked, or are they the slots for the other gears to mesh with? But they seem to be joined together by the line/wire/chain around the hubs. They must be cracked. Crowley says “intense strain, yet long-continued inaction.” Sounds like a perfect recipe for financial loss or health problems. Or worry.

Not only does the inverted pentagram mean matter over spirit, Crowley also points out that it is unstable, resting on the point. He also mentions an earthquake, instability of the earth. Maybe this is some kind of mining machinery deep in the earth being overcome by lava from behind.

Thank you, caridwen, for looking up Skeat. Struggle and ill will certainly work here. And the Sphinx strangling her victims if they failed to answer her riddle. I imagine the people riddled would not be on their best game when they knew a losing answer meant death! How’s that for worry!

And there is a community meaning here, not just individual. Crowley: “The economic system has broken down; there is no more balance between the social orders.” I think this is an important point. If someone is in financial trouble, they didn’t get there by themselves. They may have made poor choices, but someone was there ready to take their money from them, too!

Mercury in Taurus: An airy planet in fixed earth can’t be good. “Avoids versatility, preferring to build on a single foundation; inflexible and conservative, suspicious of all new ideas.”

In a reading: You may have financial or health worries. Make sure you have these matters under control. Don’t focus on your financial worries over your spiritual/moral responsibilities. You may be acting too inflexible in this matter. Your monetary worries may be caused more by your way of looking at it than the actual situation.

Kathy123

Lord of Worry

Thank you for the introduction to the tattwas on this thread/card. The reversed pentagram and idea of matter over spirit speaks to me.

My version (pocket Swiss) seems to have the triangle-fire tattwa as a mauve-pink versus the fire red. The yellow- earth and blue-air also seem to be somewhat muted, but not as much as the red. Wondering if this is just the version I have or whether it is purpose?

Kathy123

"The Five of Disks is in equally evil case. The soft quiet of the Four has been completely overthrown; the card is called Worry. [See Skeat, Etymological Dictionary. The idea is of strangling, as dogs worry sheep. Note the identity with Sphinx.] The economic system has broken down; there is no more balance between the social orders. Disks being as they are, stolid and obstinate, as compared with the other weapons, for their revolution serves t9 stabilize them, there is no action, at least not in its own ambit, that can affect the issue"

"The Number Five, Geburah, in the suit of Earth, shows the disruption of the Elements, just as in the other suits. This is emphasized by the rule of Mercury in Taurus, types of energy which are opposed. It needs a very powerful Mercury to upset Taurus; so the natural meaning is Intelligence applied to Labour.

The symbol represents five disks in the form of the inverted Pentagram, instability in the very foundations of Matter. The effect is that of an earthquake. They are, however, representative of the five Tatvas; these hold together, on a very low plane, an organism which would otherwise disrupt completely. The background is an angry, ugly red with yellow markings. The
general effect is one of intense strain; yet the symbol implies long-continued inaction."

And seeing as I may be "talking to myself" on this thread, I am not entirely sure that "worry" is in the sense that we think.... I must do more research on that one...

Also, I know some reference has been made to the disks being "gears"... I'm not sure I see them that way. To me, they are like "shields" being held together to protect someone or something. The "cracks" on them, to me, represent the attacks resulting in damage for the "protection" that the disks have provided.

Very interesting study... new day, new card... off to another thread for now :)