4 of Wands as Feelings

Teheuti

clarity said:
Ah yes, freeing yourself and liberation.
Just almost seems contrary to the structure and foundation that the 4 of wands is about though. That's what I find confusing about this card, that it can mean both. Its hard to reconcile both meanings.
I find the attempt to reconcile paradoxes to be one of the most exhilarating things to do with tarot.

How about being able to freely enjoy where you are? It's really hard to see this card as the actual process of liberation. Rather, if looked at as completion, I see it as the wrapping up stage and good-byes that are appropriate before leaving.

How are the 4's freeing? At it's most archetypal the ordering, structuring and consolidation of a four means that you can relax, knowing that these are in place. It's like the hostess who knows that the party is so well organized that she's free to enjoy her guests.

If the Four of Wands indicates a couple breaking up, to me it suggests that something between them is concluded—there has been a harvest; the work is complete—although it may not be immediately apparent. Perhaps there is a karmic completion that frees them from a previous karmic bond. Their spirits would be celebrating, even if their earthly bodies hadn't gotten it yet.

However, much depends on the deck being used.

Mary