Getting started as a professional- this is my "plan" (comments welcome)

Vanchica

So here's my plan:

I want to read cards and tea leaves for people in Vancouver, primarily. I could try to do it online but I find online marketing much more difficult than marketing locally and in person.

My plan is this:

- volunteer to do readings for charities and fund raisers in exchange for being able to give out cards and be mentioned in advertising. All reading fees ($minimum donation can be set by the charity but I was thinking $10-$20) go to the charity. Four card (career, love, health and (either spiritual or finances)) readings, should be quick, might use oracle cards as they are faster/deeper to read than tarot generally. And I give them a business card and little write up of their reading on business stationery to take away.

The business card offers readings for $35 and a 15% discount for groups of 3+ and the same for email readings. I'd rather do email readings, on my schedule.

(I know it's not common but I plan to follow up with people after their readings and see if they have additional questions. The additional questions are free, a mini reading (maybe 1-3 cards, call them clarifiers). But then their next reading is another fee.)

Hopefully these charity readings (and I might do them in coffee shops, too, for charitable donations, but still 4 cards and just to try and connect with/find people who want to work long term with a reader on a paid basis, not people just interested once) leads to word of mouth and follow-ups.

I'll also go around to hair and nail salons and offer free readings for whoever is there and leave cards for the staff and extra for their clients. I'll probably make the rounds every 2-3 months. I'm developing a list

Finally, I will pin business cards to notice boards at gyms, spas, community centres and such AND offer the local papers a free readings column- people send in a question and get a free reading. Or do Tarotscopes each week (writing a block of a month's worth each weekend for a few months)

Can you think of anything else I could do? I'd love to find a partner in Vancouver or the Pacific Northwest to do this with, too, if anyone is seriously interested.

Ace

This is a good beginning. You will change/moderate things as you go depending on what you find works and doesn't work. Myself, I would not put the price on the card. Make people call and find out how much it costs. then they hear your voice and know you are REAL and sane.

Good luck with your new endeavor, I wish you much prosperity!

Barb

Vanchica

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback :) I wish I could come up with more creative ways to market and reach "Moms" as they are a group I think I connect with really well, even though I don't have kids. Most moms are about my age (give or take) and seem to be really interested in readings. But I am stumped as to how to connect with them, without buying ads anyway

danieljuk

I love your ideas Vanchica and your charity ideas.
Here is my online ideas, it's just advice but maybe it will inspire you....

make a brand name or reading name and make a website for it online. If you know anyone late teens/ 20's or someone who has studied this area and wants some work, maybe they will help make you one for fairly cheap. or choose a blog type site. Make sure that web address is on your business cards that go out. Have some of the site as an updating blog (if you want to) with your column of weekly/ monthly tarotscopes. Also have all your services on there and provide your price list and a way of requesting it from the site. Make sure the site gets into search engines like google and people can find things like "tea leaf reader, your area, BC". You used to be able to put keywords in a secret tag for search engines but they ignore that now but make sure you say on the pages your area (no need for really personal info about yourself) and your services and it will spread in search engines. Make sure to get it on all the social networks and update them with posts! As a subscriber you can take out adverts in the advertisement section here Some people start a thread when they launch their site and then update in their thread with new things and special offers. I know I have looked for readers there to support them because they are part of AT! I know other people who have just searched google for a "tarot reader near me" type thing and also on Facebook and other areas, people can see if they link or comment on your posts!

some people here did a first reading free offer with them online or if you recommend someone you get a free reading, just think about how you could get your 'name' to spread! If you can get people to regularly come to your website and repeatedly buy your readings, it's a good way to make it professionally, as well as all the stuff you are doing offline :)

It just needs as bit of work setting it all up but having a website can really help you and provides a place for people to go and come back to often :thumbsup:

froufrou

Free and decent web site builder

I love your ideas Vanchica and your charity ideas.
Here is my online ideas, it's just advice but maybe it will inspire you....

make a brand name or reading name and make a website for it online. If you know anyone late teens/ 20's or someone who has studied this area and wants some work, maybe they will help make you one for fairly cheap. or choose a blog type site. Make sure that web address is on your business cards that go out. Have some of the site as an updating blog (if you want to) with your column of weekly/ monthly tarotscopes. Also have all your services on there and provide your price list and a way of requesting it from the site. Make sure the site gets into search engines like google and people can find things like "tea leaf reader, your area, BC". You used to be able to put keywords in a secret tag for search engines but they ignore that now but make sure you say on the pages your area (no need for really personal info about yourself) and your services and it will spread in search engines. Make sure to get it on all the social networks and update them with posts! As a subscriber you can take out adverts in the advertisement section here Some people start a thread when they launch their site and then update in their thread with new things and special offers. I know I have looked for readers there to support them because they are part of AT! I know other people who have just searched google for a "tarot reader near me" type thing and also on Facebook and other areas, people can see if they link or comment on your posts!

some people here did a first reading free offer with them online or if you recommend someone you get a free reading, just think about how you could get your 'name' to spread! If you can get people to regularly come to your website and repeatedly buy your readings, it's a good way to make it professionally, as well as all the stuff you are doing offline :)

It just needs as bit of work setting it all up but having a website can really help you and provides a place for people to go and come back to often :thumbsup:

If you can't find someone to help you build a web site, you could start with www.wix.com. It's decent and fairly easy to set up and manage. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

tarotbear

Yes ~ I was confused how you were going to conduct tea leaf readings online - except maybe on Skype.

Good Luck with your business plan!

swimming in tarot

Hi Vanchica!

I think the four-card charity readings to get yourself on the map are a great idea. I assume the higher-priced readings you'd do subsequently, by appointment, would be more in-depth/longer/more cards?

Weebly.com is a free website host that I use and am pleased with. Lots of personalization potential, and user-friendly.

How to reach moms...I'm not a mom either, but the moms I know seem to be facebook junkies. The downside of facebook is having to read through streams of drivel...maybe people post but never read?

I don't live in Vancouver any more, so don't know if the Highland Echo, Western News, or the insert-community-name NOW papers, are still in business. They always seemed desperate for copy, so it would be easy to get a toe in the door for a tarotscope, with them. The Tri-City News was a serious little paper, with good readership, and not so big that it got hung up on itself--might be able to convince them to have a tarotscope column, once you had a proven track record. By the time I left, Vancouver Courier was well established and respected, though I got the feeling they weren't as grass-roots, from-the-ground-up as they had been.

Wishing you well with your venture; you have a large potential pool of flesh-and-blood clients to draw on.