Asking the deck questions about itself...

Owl Tarot

Hello

I often ask questions from my deck about itself.. Well herself.. I have decided that its a female based on all the answers I get from her.. I ask her before every reading how she is feeling and also I always ask whether or not she is up for a certain reading and whether I can ask it and if the answer is no I put the deck away and ask later..

For example today gave me the 7 of coins - time out card when I asked if I could do my first and perhaps only reading for the day.. .I read it as it wants to be left alone for a bit

I don't normally do more than a few and make sure its on different subjects and people..

Does anyone else do this? What do you think of this? I sometimes feel silly doing it, but I want to ask questions from my deck only when its ready..

Just like to know hear your thoughts..

Many thanks :) xx

For me, whatever you do that makes you feel comfortable and well to perform a reading and also help you to connect better with your deck, do it! Sounds to me like an exercise as well as a habit, and what makes you feel good to read is essentially a healthy reading habit in my opinion. Nothing is foolish, no preparation of any sort is foolish in my opinion.

Tarot cannot talk with words, but I think it can speak in symbols, represantations and images which suggest things to us but in a pretty different way then language itself does. I find it to speak as a temple speaks to the follower of a Religion rather than a Priest of that Religion. It speaks -to me- without words.

GGTarot

I had a conversation with a deck once. I asked questions and pulled out a card. Turns out he wasn't what I expected and hoped for someone with more skills than me. I was a little insulted but he ensured me that he will help me get better at tarot. This happened months ago, and now I think I'm more attached with this deck. I can feel its aura shine bright whenever I try to decided which deck to use.

Grizabella

Well, I'll go with saying "whatever butters your corn, honey----just do that." (Humor and using "you" in general, not specifically :p ) But I'm in the tool group. My cards are my tools and it doesn't make sense to me to give my tools a life and a mind of their own.

Different decks do have different style and feels about them. They have different artistic styles so there are some additional cues for readings if I get in a rut with using a certain deck and want to switch to another one for some additional insight that a different deck style can bring . And it also depends on the person I'm reading for.

I have a neighbor who just found out she's got end stage cirrhosis and the doctor told her if she doesn't quit drinking, she'll die. I found an affordable used Connolly on Amazon through a "used" seller and it came in the mail Saturday. She's been wanting a Tarot reading so I'm going to use the Connolly when I do one for her. I remember how I felt getting sober and I'd have freaked out if a "bad" card came up for me at that time, so Connolly will be the perfect deck to use for her. In that sense, the "personality" of the deck is the right one to use for her in particular but I don't really consider it as a personality because they're just a tool I use to access information from "out there".

ETA: She isn't drinking right now so giving her a reading is fine with me. If she were still drinking and plastered to the gills, I wouldn't do the reading till she was more "with it".

Sirena84

Nothing is foolish, no preparation of any sort is foolish in my opinion.

This is my sentiments exactly... whatever gets you prepared mentally for the reading then its good..

When I was in uni, in the day of the exam, I did a head/hand stand in the morning when I woke up before my exam.. well scientifically speaking blood rushes to your head and wakes you up and makes you more energised leaving the house and going to the exam.. But for me it was more an exam ritual.. made me feel better before exam..
As a teacher when I invigilate I see kids /teenagers having all sort of objects on their desk when they are doing the exam... the object isn't going to make them do a better exam, but it puts their mind at a better place and at ease.. if they think that teddy bear or little stone is going to bring them luck for the exam, then they are going to be less anxious and hence maybe make less silly mistakes and errors.. its all psychological in the end :) xx

Sirena84

I had a conversation with a deck once. I asked questions and pulled out a card. Turns out he wasn't what I expected and hoped for someone with more skills than me. I was a little insulted but he ensured me that he will help me get better at tarot. This happened months ago, and now I think I'm more attached with this deck. I can feel its aura shine bright whenever I try to decided which deck to use.

I really do believe little touches like this make you more connected to your deck, and when you feel connected in your head and if you believe you are connected then your thoughts flow better.. like I said above about kids having objects for luck on their desks when doing exams.. whatever puts the mind at ease and make it flow then its a good thing :) xx

Chimera Dust

You can do this if it makes you comfortable or if it's according to your own beliefs.

Personally, I don't do that. The only time I ask my deck questions about itself is when I buy a new deck or when I'm using a deck that I haven't touched in a long time. In that case, I use one of those deck interview spreads, just to get the ball rolling, since sometimes I don't always have an interesting idea for a reading I want to do.