DECK OF THE MONTH: NOVEMBER

Grizabella

I'm already finding out that the Lisa Hunt Fairytale is a real goldmine of symbolic imagery. This is really going to be an interesting study.

Curious Dragon

Bad form, I'm sure, but a few cards in I decided my back to basics study plan needed a back to basics deck. Therefore, I dug out my old Rider-Waite deck and will be using it for the foreseeable future. Boring, I know. :)

conurelover

Mary-El Tarot

Finished the minors finally today with the Suit of Disks. It is very interesting that the Page of Disks is a swaddled baby wearing hand-beaded sandals and Marie White says he is the angel Sandalphon.

I am confused by the meaning of the 9s in the deck and looked at the Hermit card to help which is not any help except for the fire in the 9 of Wands is considered the Hermit's flame.

Merissa, you had asked last month about Thoth in the Mary-El....the 9 of Cups has a baboon which the book says is an Thoth-related.

conurelover

Bad form, I'm sure, but a few cards in I decided my back to basics study plan needed a back to basics deck. Therefore, I dug out my old Rider-Waite deck and will be using it for the foreseeable future. Boring, I know. :)

No it is not boring. :) I was hoping to hear about the dragon deck though because I love dragons.

merissa_88

Hi, total newbie here. I'm planning on spending at least a month studying the Celtic Dragon Tarot, but I've never been apart of a deck of the month thread before, so I don't know what happens. Can anyone tell me what goes on?

ETA: Changed decks at the last minute.

Welcome Curious Dragon, Grizabella, and acidrica! Thanks for joining this month.

Curious Dragon (great username, BTW!), this is a VERY loosely structured group. About the only thing we commit to is using one deck a month for personal readings (and people switch decks if they are not clicking with the one they choose).

I echo all the great stuff conurelover said and would add that some people might describe a particularly meaningful reading or add a pic of an interesting card to a post.

I like to dream with tarot-infused crystals to get to know some decks. Some journalling. I hope to do an IDS one day.

merissa_88

Therefore, I dug out my old Rider-Waite deck and will be using it for the foreseeable future. Boring, I know. :)

Do you have a favorite version? Some people like the "Original Rider Waite" one.

merissa_88

Wild Unknown

I am confused by the meaning of the 9s in the deck and looked at the Hermit card to help which is not any help except for the fire in the 9 of Wands is considered the Hermit's flame.

Merissa, you had asked last month about Thoth in the Mary-El....the 9 of Cups has a baboon which the book says is an Thoth-related.

Thanks! Almost chose the Mary-el because of all the fun you seem to be having with it!

My first week of reading with no LWB is going really well. The deck has great cardstock and the images are so descriptive they are easy to read intuitively with. However, I did a reading about the deck that indicated some study might be necessary. I asked what I was overlooking with the deck and drew the Mother of Swords (queen of swords). So definitely some journaling, reading, and connecting that knowledge with the system I already use.

I'm looking forward to this week!

Curious Dragon

No it is not boring. :) I was hoping to hear about the dragon deck though because I love dragons.

Familiar might have been a better word choice. :) I was looking forward to learning a new deck (I love dragons, too), but the Celtic Dragon Tarot reverses the elemental associations for swords and wands, and I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

Curious Dragon

Welcome Curious Dragon, Grizabella, and acidrica! Thanks for joining this month. Curious Dragon (great username, BTW!), this is a VERY loosely structured group. About the only thing we commit to is using one deck a month for personal readings (and people switch decks if they are not clicking with the one they choose). I echo all the great stuff conurelover said and would add that some people might describe a particularly meaningful reading or add a pic of an interesting card to a post. I like to dream with tarot-infused crystals to get to know some decks. Some journalling. I hope to do an IDS one day.

Thanks. Sounds like this is where I should be. :)

Do you have a favorite version? Some people like the "Original Rider Waite" one.

Well, I have great sentimental attachment to my Carol Publishing Group deck, but I've been thinking about getting a version with better colouring. There are so many other decks I want, though...

I had a fascinating new deck interview last night. I'll try and post about it tomorrow. (I was supposed to be offline 10 minutes ago.)

conurelover

Mary El Tarot

The Majors

So I can't get past the Tower looking like the Statue of Liberty burning. Was that intentional? However it is not described that way in the book at all.

Death looks like a crone and she is. She is Morta the Crone. This is the first female Death in a deck I have studied.

Justice, too, is interesting. She picks Ma'at as the giver of Justice.