That first connection/lightbulb moment....what was it that did it for you?

Emro23uk

Hi All,

This is my 1st post, hopefully I've posted in the right place. I started buying different tarot decks and books through reviews and recommendations on here and various other places/blogs and have accumulated quite a few over the last couple of months. I was at the point of getting confused and frustrated. I'm a Saggi and want stuff to happen straight away haha. Well today after several weeks of journaling, meditating and doing cotd I finally have had my light bulb moment (hallelujah) :-D I didn't think I was doing well, I felt that I was using my intuition but some cards I was interpreting didn't match to core meanings etc etc.

Basically, it got me thinking about everyone else that has trodden this path and I'm curious to know....What was it when you first started out, that made things start clicking into place?

What did it for me, is I switched decks yesterday. I love my Hezicos deck but felt I wanted to work with the Crystal Visions deck so decided this week I would solely work with that. Paired up with Tarot tour guide by Christiana Gaudet I did a lesson about story telling through Ace to 10 on each element and then again in reverse. Finally finally finally I believe my journey is starting to take form :)

moon_light

This post prompted me to go back and read my very first readings. I didn't write down the first two or three, but I've written every single personal one since. What struck me was that I didn't really have less successful readings than I do now, after lots of study. Sure, I had to use the books, but the readings are just more crude versions of what I do now.

So I don't think that I read something or did some exercise that make it all click. I think the big thing for me was seeing that it actually really did work. I was skeptical going into it, but reading those first few ones... They were deep and meaningful and beautiful even though my skills were in the early stages of development. The cards will tell us the truth whether or not we interpret things correctly. Realizing that tarot was for real was probably the biggest thing for me. Having faith in it has driven me ever since.

Emro23uk

This post prompted me to go back and read my very first readings. I didn't write down the first two or three, but I've written every single personal one since. What struck me was that I didn't really have less successful readings than I do now, after lots of study. Sure, I had to use the books, but the readings are just more crude versions of what I do now.

So I don't think that I read something or did some exercise that make it all click. I think the big thing for me was seeing that it actually really did work. I was skeptical going into it, but reading those first few ones... They were deep and meaningful and beautiful even though my skills were in the early stages of development. The cards will tell us the truth whether or not we interpret things correctly. Realizing that tarot was for real was probably the biggest thing for me. Having faith in it has driven me ever since.

I'm glad it prompted to you to look back :) I'm yet to try giving myself any readings as such. Like a plonka I did one a several weeks back and I'll admit I need to start off slow and build up and not jump into a 21 card spread! look at the cards and panic knowing that all I've learned went out the window. I felt overwhelmed with them all. From that time forward, I felt I needed to get to know my cards better before doing any readings of more than one card. I have asked questions to my decks ie what sort of deck are you? What are your personality traits? What sort of relationship do you think we are going to have? Etc and a lot of those made me smile. I think it's about time I started using the cards for what they are actually intended :) I have photo's of the 21 card spread to refer back to at a later date.....thanks for your response Moon_light, you've now prompted me to do a 3 card spread for the day, rather than cotd lol.

Thanks

nisaba

This is my 1st post,
Welcome! I hope you'll be very happy here.

hopefully I've posted in the right place. I started buying different tarot decks and books through reviews and recommendations on here and various other places/blogs and have accumulated quite a few over the last couple of months. I was at the point of getting confused and frustrated. I'm a Saggi and want stuff to happen straight away haha.
<grin>

In the beginning, it's probably an idea to stick to one deck until you have some idea what you are doing (which takes time!) before you branch out. That's just a recipe for confusion.

I finally have had my light bulb moment (hallelujah)
Excellent.

Basically, it got me thinking about everyone else that has trodden this path and I'm curious to know....What was it when you first started out, that made things start clicking into place?
Playing Tarot-Solitaire with my cards, having their images in front of my face. Every night. Hours of it. Then they turned into informal readings, as I worked out the themes that made the game flow or the themes that blocked it.

My first couple of readings for other people, I felt really hesitant, but they were delighted. Years later, I still sometimes have no idea what I'm saying to people. Just as long as their faces light up and it makes senses to them, I've done my job. Those early readings where you don't know what you're saying but the client certainly does ... pretty well Hallelujah.

Emro23uk

Welcome! I hope you'll be very happy here.

<grin>

In the beginning, it's probably an idea to stick to one deck until you have some idea what you are doing (which takes time!) before you branch out. That's just a recipe for confusion.

Excellent.

Playing Tarot-Solitaire with my cards, having their images in front of my face. Every night. Hours of it. Then they turned into informal readings, as I worked out the themes that made the game flow or the themes that blocked it.

My first couple of readings for other people, I felt really hesitant, but they were delighted. Years later, I still sometimes have no idea what I'm saying to people. Just as long as their faces light up and it makes senses to them, I've done my job. Those early readings where you don't know what you're saying but the client certainly does ... pretty well Hallelujah.

Awwww, thanks. I'm finding interesting reading on here that's for sure and it seems to be a friendly community. The tarot solitaire sounds intriguing :-D

That's me all over, causing more confusion where there's no need haha. To be honest I read that many reviews about decks and viewed that many images that I just kept buying and buying because I liked the look of "A LOT" lol. I can't believe how many decks are on the market and there are some beautiful ones. That is what's caused my confusion because I'm wanting to try them all and am flitting from one to the other. Same goes with the books I've bought. I bought a couple for learning ie Joan Bunning's book along with a couple of others that come highly reviewed/recommended. Then the others I bought for using and finding different "hands on with the tarot cards" lessons. Out of all the decks I now own I do need to make the decision on which one I need to learn with! Possibly hide the others under padlock and key haha.

Yes, that must be amazing, a sense of achievement if you think you are talking crap but they know exactly what you mean. I get that with spirit....if I can put a smile on someone's face by giving them a bizarre message but it meaning something lovely to them, I have a smile on my face for a week lol

Grizabella

I don't know if I really had so much of a one-time "aha!" moment. For me it was just a gradual upward stair step sort of thing. A big breakthrough for me came a couple of years ago with a Lo Scarabeo deck, though. For years and years I just didn't GET Lo Scarabeo decks, but the Sweet Twilight Death card did it for me. For me I guess the light-bulb moments started happening when I'd get brave enough to just say what came into my mind instead of worrying about if I was going to get it right or wrong or was I going to be a humiliating failure. But I'd get one of those brave readings where I just went with what came to me and then, knowing without any doubt that I'd never be able to do it again---ever!---I'd sit and hide in my closet for awhile before trying it again. :p

gregory

The day Simone persuaded me to join the Intuitive Study Group here.

And (@ nissy) I had no trouble with the number of decks I had - which even then was - large - I had studied them in a comparative way and I think that was helpful too.

Emro23uk

I don't know if I really had so much of a one-time "aha!" moment. For me it was just a gradual upward stair step sort of thing. A big breakthrough for me came a couple of years ago with a Lo Scarabeo deck, though. For years and years I just didn't GET Lo Scarabeo decks, but the Sweet Twilight Death card did it for me. For me I guess the light-bulb moments started happening when I'd get brave enough to just say what came into my mind instead of worrying about if I was going to get it right or wrong or was I going to be a humiliating failure. But I'd get one of those brave readings where I just went with what came to me and then, knowing without any doubt that I'd never be able to do it again---ever!---I'd sit and hide in my closet for awhile before trying it again. :p

That made me laugh about hiding in the closet. I will remember that quote if I ever get a feeling of needing to hide :) I guess everyone feels like that at the start...unless they are majorly confident all the time lol

I have the Wheel of the year tarot by Lo Scarabeo. I quite like it, the colours and how it feels but yet to do any readings with it.

Emro23uk

The day Simone persuaded me to join the Intuitive Study Group here.

And (@ nissy) I had no trouble with the number of decks I had - which even then was - large - I had studied them in a comparative way and I think that was helpful too.

I'm glad you said that Gregory because I have been journaling my way through the major arcana using several decks to compare on what I am picking up intuitively from each major but using the likes of Robin Wood, Hezicos, Crystal visions, Wheel of the year and Mary Hanson Roberts. Honest answer required now though...... Do you honestly think that this is a helping tool, or a hindering tool? and that working with one particular deck for a considerable length of time helps a beginner like myself? My problem is this, I like all I have bought (other than Chrysalis and tarot illuminati) I want to use all that I've bought but am I delaying the learning process because I'm not thoroughly working with the same deck and learning to get to know all it's layers?

I take it joining the intuitive study group was a eye opener ;-)

Thanks

gregory

It was the first reading I did that way that blindsided me. It worked; apparently I hit paydirt -I was gobsmacked.

I certainly find that looking at all sorts of decks makes you see cards in different ways. I think PART of the issue some people have is that many here want to "learn" the meanings before they start - which I never did; anything I have picked up was by osmosis. And every deck I look at has an effect on that. And to add to that - every book has different meanings, at least to a degree; you could go nuts very fast. I find comparing decks HUGELY valuable to this day. Clearly others differ. We each have to learn in our own way. But to me - seeing - say - 20 different emperors gives me a much wider perspective on the possible nuances he might bring to a reading.

I don't in fact usually use any kind of generic meanings; I read by looking at the actual pictures - a method known here - after someone posted the word in a discussion about this stuff - as the "glorpish method". I refuse to call it "the intuitive" method - EVERY reader uses their intuition, IMHO. That was what I suddenly found worked for me. (and because someone will say this, I bet - no it does NOT work - for me - with oracle decks or other pictures - only with tarot cards. Don't ask me why - that's just how it is for me. YMMV and all that.)