That first connection/lightbulb moment....what was it that did it for you?

Emro23uk

It was the first reading I did that way that blindsided me. It worked; apparently I hit paydirt -I was gobsmacked.

I certainly find that looking at all sorts of decks makes you see cards in different ways. I think PART of the issue some people have is that many here want to "learn" the meanings before they start - which I never did; anything I have picked up was by osmosis. And every deck I look at has an effect on that. And to add to that - every book has different meanings, at least to a degree; you could go nuts very fast. I find comparing decks HUGELY valuable to this day. Clearly others differ. We each have to learn in our own way. But to me - seeing - say - 20 different emperors gives me a much wider perspective on the possible nuances he might bring to a reading.

I don't in fact usually use any kind of generic meanings; I read by looking at the actual pictures - a method known here - after someone posted the word in a discussion about this stuff - as the "glorpish method". I refuse to call it "the intuitive" method - EVERY reader uses their intuition, IMHO. That was what I suddenly found worked for me. (and because someone will say this, I bet - no it does NOT work - for me - with oracle decks or other pictures - only with tarot cards. Don't ask me why - that's just how it is for me. YMMV and all that.)

Lol. I hope I get to that stage :)

Yeah I know exactly what your saying because I feel I need "to learn the core meanings" also :p It would be a boring world though if everyone was the same :) I also understand what your saying about going nuts regarding books/meanings!!! A lot fuse together somewhat in some ways but I've come to the conclusion that if I want to refer back to a book regarding a meaning on a card, I use one and one only for that particular task. I'm trying to go on what my gut is telling me and what I am actually sensing from the card/cards. I just get frustrated though if I refer to the actual meaning and I'm way off the mark. Only time will tell if my intuition is off the mark from when I refer back to a spread in my journal. I'm hoping I'm not that crap lol.

Regarding what you said about the decks/20 emperors, can I ask how you thoroughly connected to a deck with you having a large selection? Did you use certain decks for learning and certain decks for reading? I can understand the aspect of discovering more about him and other cards when you compare because I feel that I gain insight on something I wouldn't have thought of with one deck compared to another deck.

P.s In my naivety (or just thickness lol) I had to google osmosis!!! How I perceived what I read was it's all about energies, a bit like psychometry. Is that right? Also what does ymmv mean? Is it tarot talk or forum talk lol

gregory

P.s In my naivety (or just thickness lol) I had to google osmosis!!! How I perceived what I read was it's all about energies, a bit like psychometry. Is that right? Also what does ymmv mean? Is it tarot talk or forum talk lol
Osmosis - things kind of mix spontaneously after a while being next to one another, was what I meant...

Osmosis is the spontaneous net movement of solvent molecules through a partially permeable membrane into a region of higher solute concentration, in the direction that tends to equalize the solute concentrations on the two sides.

and

: a process of absorption or diffusion suggestive of the flow of osmotic action; especially : a usually effortless often unconscious assimilation <learned a number of languages by osmosis — Roger Kimball>

In the end they are as one. These things soak into me, like.

YMMV - sorry; I collected that one here - Your Mileage May Vary !

Connect with a deck. I am not one of those who feels a need to BOND in that sense. I don't have The One Deck (I don't actually believe there is a One True Deck, myself - YMMV ;)) There are decks that are often my go-to decks for reading but not always the same ones. There are some I will feel drawn to on any individual day (I can't remember which it was now, but one circle recently I just HAD to use a particular deck - and it wasn't one I had felt like using before.)

But think on - many professionals give their sitter the choice of which deck to use. You have to be ready and able to read with anything, I think. I HAVE even used a Marseille on occasion, when asked - and MAN that was hard. I also used one I had slagged off once, on a bet - and it delivered a sharp and on target reading that chilled my sitter (mostly because we had been joking about it.)

One thing you might like to try is telling stories for the cards. You'll often find that the story of the hanged man in one deck is amazingly close to that in another - and there you start to get the germ of a universal basis.

A book I have found wonderful for exploring is Lynda Cowles: The Tarot Playbook;

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/playbook/

It is so very non-threatening, and teaches you loads in a fun way. Also you could try reading the way I do, just as an experiment - forget the title and look at the picture. (I'm not trying to CONVERT you here; it can just give you a new slant for a while and it DOES force you to look at and SEE the symbols on the card, rather than saying to yourself oh right, 10 Swords UGH DISASTER. I drew that for a happy marriage once, and the sitter totally got it....)

Emro23uk

Osmosis - things kind of mix spontaneously after a while being next to one another, was what I meant...

and

In the end they are as one. These things soak into me, like.

YMMV - sorry; I collected that one here - Your Mileage May Vary !

Connect with a deck. I am not one of those who feels a need to BOND in that sense. I don't have The One Deck (I don't actually believe there is a One True Deck, myself - YMMV ;)) There are decks that are often my go-to decks for reading but not always the same ones. There are some I will feel drawn to on any individual day (I can't remember which it was now, but one circle recently I just HAD to use a particular deck - and it wasn't one I had felt like using before.)

But think on - many professionals give their sitter the choice of which deck to use. You have to be ready and able to read with anything, I think. I HAVE even used a Marseille on occasion, when asked - and MAN that was hard. I also used one I had slagged off once, on a bet - and it delivered a sharp and on target reading that chilled my sitter (mostly because we had been joking about it.)

One thing you might like to try is telling stories for the cards. You'll often find that the story of the hanged man in one deck is amazingly close to that in another - and there you start to get the germ of a universal basis.

A book I have found wonderful for exploring is Lynda Cowles: The Tarot Playbook;

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/playbook/

It is so very non-threatening, and teaches you loads in a fun way. Also you could try reading the way I do, just as an experiment - forget the title and look at the picture. (I'm not trying to CONVERT you here; it can just give you a new slant for a while and it DOES force you to look at and SEE the symbols on the card, rather than saying to yourself oh right, 10 Swords UGH DISASTER. I drew that for a happy marriage once, and the sitter totally got it....)

A quick response (will respond later when I have more time)..... Funny you should mention "THAT BOOK".....it was delivered in the post this morning, whoop whoop :-D