If you had to choose only one book on learning the tarot, what would it be?

Celtictarot

Spiritual Tarot: Seventy-Eight Paths to Personal Development by Signe E. Echols, Robert Mueller and Sandra Thomson (Jul 1, 1996).

Excellent companion for the Morgan - Greer deck.

ana luisa

Ditto to this one. Great book ! Janina Renee Tarot for a new generation.

foolMoon

I had that book, and I cannot honestly recommend it unless you don't mind spending a lot of time searching through the index or the book itself to look up information on a specific card, because they are not presented in order. There is a logic to the order they are presented in, but I found I could not get used to it, and that it seemed quite unnecessary. I found something about the way it was written was annoying, perhaps aimed at younger people? (I can't put my finger on what it was).

I sold the book after spending quite a lot of time trying to use it. It does have some good information in it, but I've found other, better books for the price. I don't recall it including much about intuitive approaches.

Have a good look at it at a bookstore before you invest. It might work for you, different people like different approaches.

The book has arrived, but as it is for Xmas present, I am not allowed to read it until the aftermath of the day. I will let you know in this thread how I felt about the book after reading some part of it.

JackofWands

I'd go with Tarot 101 by Kim Huggens, although I've seen a lot of other great suggestions here.

crystaleagle

Tarot for Life by Paul Quinn gets my vote! Just recvd it as a gift, so am still reading. Love it so far. It is definitely one to keep "for life".

Citrin

Tarot for Life by Paul Quinn gets my vote! Just recvd it as a gift, so am still reading. Love it so far. It is definitely one to keep "for life".

Same here, haven't finished it but I am very impressed. I really love his style of writing and all of the examples on what each card has meant in real readings he has done. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in tarot.

Pam O

Ian Daniels - Best book! Only $3.99

Lots of great books here!

Recently I heard Ian Daniels companion book for Vampyres was spectacular. Even though I had not been attracted to buy the deck, it was only $3.99 for the app. So I bought it JUST FOR Ian Daniels BOOK. And it is true!! I have some really good Tarot books, but to me, this is a great book in general. And, I got a 'free' deck I may not have ever bought... :)

If I was a Newbie on a very limited budget, this is THE book I would be very thankful to be able to afford. Sure it incorporates info for this deck, BUT THE INFO CAN BE APPLIED TO ANY DECK.

Card descriptions includes many angles, including astrology, numerology, and more. Both balanced and unbalanced sides of every card are here, including cards so many authors get stuck on. You know the ones. Those 'bad' cards: the 5s, many of the swords, and those 'good' cards like the infamous "wish card", etc. The alternate sides are illuminated brilliantly!

Sections for every card include:
- Essence
- Shadow
- Alchemy
- Kindred Sprits
- Verse

This is by far the BEST app purchase I have made book wise. (I unexpectedly now have 35+ apps. :bugeyed:) It is not just for beginners! More advanced readers can also enjoy his creative angles and entertaining writing style. Plus his descriptive conversational writing style is a pleasure to read.

And for a mere $3.99 it is affordable for all. I wish I had this info when I was a beginning Tarot pup Newbie! It is WAY better than the books i started with! And it is by a top Tarot app writer, Fools Dog.

Maybe Ian Daniels will be inspired to put out a general book!? <hint, hint>
:thumbsup: :)

Janeytilllie

For me my favourite tarot book is 2 hour tarot tutor by Wilma Carroll.

It taught me to look at the pictures of the cards and read them together. It really helped me a lot.

Also any good symbolism book. The tarot has so many little details and symbols that really unlock the cards meaning. :)

jema

Tarot for Life by Paul Quinn is rather nice. Had it for some time but just now picked it up and started to read it.
It is also not very expensive, covers a lot of ground and makes perfect sense.
Recommended!

rubyalison

I'm reading Tarot for Life by Paul Quinn right and am getting a lot out of it. This will definitely be a book I come back to in the future as well I'm sure.