The Mindscape of Alan Moore (Thoth deck)

job

The Mindscape of Alan Moore

The Thoth deck features heavily in this documentary (made a few years ago). Mr Moore doesn't talk about the deck partularly. But he does say about the tarot...
"...a pantheon of archetypal images that provide the cartography for a map of the human condition."

"Most people find the word Apocalypse to be a terrifying concept. Checked in the dictionary it means only revelation, although it obviously has also come to mean end of the World. As to what the end of the World means, I would day that probably depends on what we mean by World. I don't think this means the planet, or even the life forms upon the planet. I think the World is purely a construction of ideas, and not just the physical structures, but the mental structures, the ideologies that we've erected. That is what I would call 'the World'....."

It's an excellent documentary (that I have to watch several times simply because I've got lost!). Available to buy end of this month.

From Amazon
...following the evolution of his career as he transformed the comics medium, to his immersion in a magical worldview where science, spirituality and society are part of the same universe.

Transcendent Dancer

Alan Moore - A Great Mind

If you're at all interested in the crossroads of the human condition, society, art and magic this documentary is a must-see. Although he's known for his contribution to comics I came to this film not knowing much about his work in that arena. Instead I was pleasantly stunned to discover a visionary, keen intellect and from what can be gathered a shaman, magician. I've watched this film countless times. It's on YouTube at this point. Yes, the Thoth deck figures prominently! I'm an absolute beginner to tarot, owning only RW, but I'm going to buy the A.C. Thoth deck too due to this documentary.

Karrma

A Magical Definition.

Quotes from Moore and the documentary:
"I believe that magic is art, and that art, whether that be music, writing, sculpture, or any other form, is literally magic. Art is, like magic, the science of manipulating symbols, words or images, to achieve changes in consciousness ... Indeed to cast a spell is simply to spell, to manipulate words, to change people's consciousness, and this is why I believe that an artist or writer is the closest thing in the contemporary world to a shaman."[51]

Connecting his esoteric beliefs with his career in writing, he conceptualised a hypothetical area known as the "Idea Space", describing it as "... a space in which mental events can be said to occur, an idea space which is perhaps universal. Our individual consciousnesses have access to this vast universal space, just as we have individual houses, but the street outside the front door belongs to everybody. It's almost as if ideas are pre-existing forms within this space ... The landmasses that might exist in this mind space would be composed entirely of ideas, of concepts, that instead of continents and islands you might have large belief systems, philosophies, Marxism might be one, Judeo-Christian religions might make up another." He subsequently believed that to navigate this space, magical systems like the tarot and the Qabalah would have to be used.[51]

[51]^ Jump up to: a b c d e f g h i DeZ Vylenz (Director) (30 September 2008). The Mindscape of Alan Moore (Documentary). Shadowsnake Films.
via wikipedia sad to say...another magical inyerface.

And Yes, yes, yes, this "idea space" is just resonating with me about Tarot and Qabala.