First time reading at festival - tips?

Deanne

Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like it was a great day, overall. Do you feel it's something you would do again?

Definitely!

I thought doing a one-day festival would be a good way to start, so I could get a feel for things. Didn't want to agree to a longer commitment and then not enjoy it - that wouldn't have been an issue, this was a blast!

Morwenna

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And that you were successful.

It's hard to determine prices though. A lot depends on the local going rate. When I was reading at renfairs it was along with several other people, and after a couple of years we got together and agreed on a price schedule for all of us. (We read in a group of neighboring tents.) But next time you'll have an idea what to charge, now that you've seen the usual prices at that venue.

I've seldom read for children, but the few times I did, it seemed easier than reading for the adults!

ana luisa

It was wonderful reading about your experience. And to know that kids and teens are into Tarot as well. Kudos to you !!! :thumbsup:

Deanne

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And that you were successful.

It's hard to determine prices though. A lot depends on the local going rate. When I was reading at renfairs it was along with several other people, and after a couple of years we got together and agreed on a price schedule for all of us. (We read in a group of neighboring tents.) But next time you'll have an idea what to charge, now that you've seen the usual prices at that venue.

I've seldom read for children, but the few times I did, it seemed easier than reading for the adults!

I set my prices to match the online readings I offer, as I thought that seemed fair. But it seems that people will pay more when they're in that 'festival mood' :) Good to know for next time.

Also, I was the only reader there. I know the woman who runs this festival and she said she never allows 2 booths that offer the same type of thing; she likes to avoid creating any competitions. I liked that, and hope some of the other festivals around here run similarly.

This one kid was easy to read for - I think his mind was very open to the experience, and I can imagine that's typically the case with youngsters :)

It was wonderful reading about your experience. And to know that kids and teens are into Tarot as well. Kudos to you !!! :thumbsup:

I think the youth response was a mixture of 2 things:
1. Their natural curiosity - they saw something they didn't know about and didn't hesitate to ask. I've always loved this about kids :)
2. They haven't really developed a stigma towards Tarot (or similar things). Many adults hesitate because it's become somewhat 'taboo' 'wrong' or 'weird' to be interested in this sort of thing.
I saw quite a few instances where a couple would be walking along and one person would see my booth and look really interested. (S)he would start to walk over and their partner would pull them back and say something like "You're not really into *that*, are you?!" Sad stuff :(

Aunty Anthea

So the festival was today, and I think it went well :D

A lot of people came to the table and asked me what Tarot was - how do you give a concise answer to that?! I tried my best :) One of those people decided to give it a try, and she enjoyed the reading. The others didn't get a reading, but I got most of them to enter the draw I had for a free email reading (told them 'free' is a good way to test it out).

Suggest you give out leaflets with explanation of the Tarot and your contact details on :)

pickled pixie

Thanks for sharing deanne 😊 I would love to do something like this but I just don't have the courage. Just out of interest did people ask specific questions or for a general reading? I'm much better at specific questions but most people who I've read for just want a general reading which I don't like doing as they seem so vague...it's what puts me off reading at these type of events. :/ glad all went well for you though 😊

Deanne

Suggest you give out leaflets with explanation of the Tarot and your contact details on :)

That's a good idea, thanks :)
I wrote up an explanation of sorts for my website, and I printed it out and taped it to my table. Didn't cross my mind to print extras for handing out. I think if I did this I'd expand it though - my write-up was more about the different things Tarot can do for you (with some example questions), while the people that approached me were asking more about how tarot actually works.

Thanks for sharing deanne 😊 I would love to do something like this but I just don't have the courage. Just out of interest did people ask specific questions or for a general reading? I'm much better at specific questions but most people who I've read for just want a general reading which I don't like doing as they seem so vague...it's what puts me off reading at these type of events. :/ glad all went well for you though 😊

A bit of both, but more people came with a specific question.
I agree that questions make it easier for me to read and also give more usable answers for the sitter. I encouraged questions by having some examples out on the table as well as a sign asking individuals to have a question in mind before their session.
Some people did want a general reading - I told them that was fine, but mentioned that general readings give more general answers and specific ones more specific answers. Some came up with a question after that while others stuck with their original wish.

pickled pixie

That's a good idea Deanne!! 😊... glad it's not just me that doesn't get much info from general readings! Maybe one day I'll muster the courage to read at an event 😊

Freyja of V

Deanne, I'm so happy it went so well. What kind of festival was it? Did yo say what kind and I just missed it? I would love to do a Renaissance Festival or something like that. Maybe in the distant future when I feel like I know enough. You didn't mention it, so I am assuming the wasps/bee left you alone:thumbsup:

It was really interesting and great to hear that young kids/teens were curious and I am stunned that a parent would allow his kid to get a reading. That is so open-minded and cool. :cool2:

I have a suggestion for keeping the cards held down but I don't know if it would really be practical:

Have you ever seen that sticky rubbery stuff that you can pull off as little as you want and it's removeable. It's great to hang photos or posters on a wall so you don't ruin the paint. I don't know what it is called. Anyway, I'm wondering if you could have little balls of it ready on the side, and then stick one on the back of the card and adhere to the table, temporarily. Like I said, it's removeable (easily) and will not ruin the card.

I don't know if I explained it well, but I think it could work.:p
Can't wait to hear about your next one.
Freyja

Deanne

Deanne, I'm so happy it went so well. What kind of festival was it? Did yo say what kind and I just missed it? I would love to do a Renaissance Festival or something like that. Maybe in the distant future when I feel like I know enough. You didn't mention it, so I am assuming the wasps/bee left you alone:thumbsup:

It was really interesting and great to hear that young kids/teens were curious and I am stunned that a parent would allow his kid to get a reading. That is so open-minded and cool. :cool2:

I have a suggestion for keeping the cards held down but I don't know if it would really be practical:

Have you ever seen that sticky rubbery stuff that you can pull off as little as you want and it's removeable. It's great to hang photos or posters on a wall so you don't ruin the paint. I don't know what it is called. Anyway, I'm wondering if you could have little balls of it ready on the side, and then stick one on the back of the card and adhere to the table, temporarily. Like I said, it's removeable (easily) and will not ruin the card.

I don't know if I explained it well, but I think it could work.:p
Can't wait to hear about your next one.
Freyja

This was a street festival - I'm not sure if that's a common thing elsewhere or just here (my city has quite a few quirky things that I think are normal until I find out otherwise!) Essentially it showcases the stores and restaurants on that street, as well as some local bands, craftspeople, charities, etc.

I was a bit surprised about the parent that came back too, but I thought it was great :) Both dad and son seemed very open-minded, and the reading went well.

Thanks for the card-holding idea. Not sure I'll do that, as I've found some really low quality sticky tack as well as the good stuff. The not-so-good kind leaves a lot of residue behind and I can never remember which brands are which.