Help with Title of Next Book?

MarkMcElroy

Would you be willing to help me with my next book's title?

Now that I've gotten _A Guide to Tarot Card Meanings_ out the door, I'm getting ready to publish an updated and simplified version of a book published earlier as _The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot_. (The rights to that text have reverted back to me -- but the title didn't, since the good folks at Que Books own the rights to "The Absolute Beginner's Guide" series.)

I've been toying with calling the book, "The Best Tarot Book for Beginners Ever Written by Mark McElroy." Note that the "by Mark McElroy" bit is part of the title!

So: I'm not claiming to have written the best Tarot book for beginners ever written. Instead, I'm saying this book is the best Tarot book *I've* ever written. (And, honestly, I think it is.) Also, when someone searches Amazon.com for "best Tarot book," this book will float to the top of those search results!

I admit, though, that the title is a little "in your face!" -- and, while I'm just having a bit of fun, I'm concerned that some folks might not get the joke, and mistake my joviality for puffed-up pride.

I'm reminded of the kerfluffle over the cover of my first book: _Putting the Tarot to Work_. The publisher suggested three covers, and I fell in love with the bright green one featuring a grinning 1980's-era businessman nested down in a stockpile of cash.

We took all three covers to Wald and Ruth Amberstone's Reader's Studio event in New York and asked the Tarot tribe assembled there what they thought. Universally, my favorite choice was absolutely hated … and my least favorite choice was universally loved!

I didn't listen to wisdom of the crowd. We plowed ahead with what I believed was an engaging and different cover.

And, boy oh boy, was I wrong.

People *hated* that cover. Reviewers who loved the insides warned other readers, "But you'll have to get past that atrocious cover!" And one dear lady actually wrote a scathing review of the entire book … without ever having read it … just because seeing the cover ruined her day!

Lesson learned: a lot of people really do judge a book by its cover!

So, my question to you, dear reader and Tarot tribe member, is this: would the title _The Best Tarot Book Ever Written by Mark McElroy_ be a great little joke? A conversation starter and attention-getter? Or would it just make everyone feel all tense, angry, and out-of-sorts?

Your opinion matters to me. Thanks in advance for your comments and help!

ana luisa

So nice to see you around here ! :) You want an opinion and here's mine from the Southern hemisphere ... I believe it all boils down to your target public. I haven't been in the Tarot community for that long (although reading for a gazillion of years) but from what I've noticed, simple is best. And a nice balance between serious and clean as well. I have your book (the Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot) and like it A LOT. To be honest, I bought it NOT because of its title or cover but because it was well received by other reviewers (mostly Amazon) and written by you. I like your writing style. Again, simple and direct. I browsed over some book covers and most are pretty demure. I guess that's what sells best. And as for the title, (and please take this as a "personal" opinion only) I'd stay away from bombastic titles that use the absolutes and hyperboles. "Ultimate", "Great", "Absolute", "Fantastic", "The only book you'll ever need" do not go well for me. It sounds too pleading. Besides, as you well know, the learning NEVER ends so these appeals sound, at best, like lies. Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding. And also in the word of mouth. I will take a note on the book you're printing because I'll be getting a copy when it's released. The ABGT really helped me a lot. Do keep us posted and all the luck in the world :thumbsup:

rwcarter

Jokes are better spoken than written as we see all too often here at Aeclectic. The title you want to go with does come across as somewhat arrogant and conceited. I'm one of those folks who take issue with superlatives in tarot book titles - while you think it's the "best" lots of other folks probably won't. (And while it may be the best book you've ever written, a lot of folks will read the title as the best tarot book ever written.)

And as you found with the picture on the other book, folks will focus reviews not on the content of the book in and of itself, but in relation to the "best" appellation. So, sure call it that to yourself or maybe even make it the subtitle of the book on one of the inside pages. You could even make it the title of the Introduction to the book. But I would advise steering clear of using that as the title of the book itself.

Rodney

gregory

I wouldn't call it "the best" anything. Just look at the threads here, taking the piss out of most books with that kind of thing in the title... (Not to mention that old chestnut "the only tarot book you'll ever need"...) I would never ever buy one, just because of the conceit implied ! Intended or not - 90% of potential buyers won't see the joke. That's the trouble with in-jokes. Only insiders get them. And famous though you are here - pick a newb in a new age store - they won't ever have heard of you.

How about something like "Tarot for Starters" - references food (always good) and also beginners - short, innocuous, but (probably) memorable...

Zephyros

gregory is right, the best way to turn a lot of people off any book is to use superlatives in the title, such as "ultimate" or "best." The "X for Dummies" series works because the joke is obvious, as well as self-deprecating, and they're also pretty good.

Now, granted, I must live in a cave, because I've certainly never heard of you, but that must be my fault. An "absolute beginner," however, may not know who you are, either. Unless you're as universally known as Madonna, chances are that including your name, in addition to best, will sound conceited.

3ill.yazi

I have to agree with those poo-pooing the title.

A case in point: I'm kind of a fan of Dusty White as a tarot teacher, and I think he did himself a big disservice by naming his first book "The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot - Ever!!"

He also titled that (kinda) tongue in cheek, and I get his shtick, but I am constantly seeing people say they were turned off by the cheesy title, even though there is much material in there that I've not seen in many books. Just look at some of the threads here that mention him.

I think your intended joke might not work. Comedy is hard. I mean that with full respect.

I've only read your "What's in the Cards For You" (which I loved)(and which is an example of fantastic design BTW: I loved the "no woodland fairies and Hallmark centered text in script italics" look of it) and maybe you need to do something like that and go back and think about the basic concept. What is it that distinguishes yours from other intro Tarot books? There are 100 books that say intro to tarot in the title.

Maybe something that again underlines your no-nonsense approach. A Woo-Woo-Free Intro to the Tarot, or something like that. I like Tarot for Starters, too. Baby Steps Tarot. Dipping Your Toes in the Pool of Tarot. Tarot on the Ground Running. Tarot for the Multitasking. Sister Diloolly's Grimoire of Secret Baloney. Just something that would make them pause, and think, well THIS guy I have to check out.

MarkMcElroy

Your honesty is a great gift to me. I'll follow your advice. Expect that title to change!

I share your aversion to superlatives, but was letting my love of the joke get in the way of my objectivity. Now, I'm going to extend the very modest tone of the latest book's title (it just claims to be "a" guide to card meanings) to titles of all my future books.

Ana Luisa - Thanks for the kind comments of the ABGT and the warm welcome! :)

rwcarter - Good advice! You're right.

gregory - So good to be reacquainted with you. Thanks for the perspective!

closrapexa - it's good to meet ya. I appreciate the feedback!

3ill.yazi - I'm so glad you enjoyed "What's in the Cards for You?" and I value your insights.

If ya'll are fine with it, I'll mention y'all in the Acknowledgements section of the next one! :)

avalonian

I love Gregory's suggestion of "Tarot for Starters", it doesn't imply that everything anyone needs to know is in there, and it also doesn't suggest that it is only suitable for beginners.

Following in from Gregory's food reference, if you were to follow it up with a workbook, with exercises etc, you could call that one "Main Course"!

:) :) :)

gregory

I love Gregory's suggestion of "Tarot for Starters", it doesn't imply that everything anyone needs to know is in there, and it also doesn't suggest that it is only suitable for beginners.

Following in from Gregory's food reference, if you were to follow it up with a workbook, with exercises etc, you could call that one "Main Course"!

:) :) :)
LOVE it ! :)

Mellaenn

Mark, first I'm going to say that for a number of us (call us the McElroy-indoctrinated) the mere mention of you as an author will automatically cause your book to pop into our online shopping cart. But I was thinking about this thread last night after I read it and realized that your real dilemma is how to impart to the reader who has not yet had the pleasure of reading one of your books the spontaneity and sheer fun of McElroy World? What is more, how do you manage it without ruining the utility of the title?

Like others, I think it's a good idea to keep the title simple and clear to draw in the people who are just looking for a beginner tarot book, but I so want to see your sense of fun be displayed as well. So why not a sub-title? The title could still be simple - The Beginners Guide to Tarot but add a sub-title like The Mark McElroy Version or How a Deck of Cards Can Change Your Life or As Told to Mark McElroy by the Tarot or some such silliness (enter your creative genius here.) The point is keep the title simple - good for online searches, etc, but somewhere, let in your personality as well.