The Faeries Oracle by Brian Froud

The Happy Squirrel

How would you compare FO and HOF in terms of structure and art?

Celtictarot

The structure is the same in a way as the fae are grouped together.

The Happy Squirrel

There is a lot of comments on how the HOF isn't as 'solid' and trying a bit too hard.

Just looking at google images of the HOF, the artwork feels more 'earth bound'. If Hidden Realms (tarot) is on one end of the spectrum of realism and fantasy and FO is on the other, HOF appears more like the Hidden Realm than the FO?

I will start with the Faeries first I think.....

The Happy Squirrel

I take that back. The HOF artwork seems to be less 'united' in style/approach.

lalalibra

Yes, and this is going to be a personal opinion of course. But I think the Heart of Faerie is just not as well-done, and I do get this sort of impression like Wendy Froud was trying too hard, like some of the things she writes are so cliche. Maybe it's unfair to compare her guidebook to the one by Jessica Macbeth, though. In it's own right, the Heart of Faerie's guidebook may be pretty standard as far as oracle guidebooks go. But I just don't like HOF as much and can't always relate to her meanings, and they aren't written with as much depth as in the FO. I remember reading on other threads that quite a few people suggested using the HOF cards independently of the guidebook, and I guess that's an option... and yet I didn't connect as well to the images either. Again, that's just my personal preference though.

The Faeries' Oracle feels more authentic to me in terms of capturing the mood, the energy. And what I enjoy about the Faeries' Oracle is that it seems to really bridge into one's understanding of archetypes - like the Journeymen reminds me of "The Fool," and "The Sage" being like the Hermit, etc. Not implying that it's a Tarot copy by any means; but that in certain aspects it has as much mileage... I think the best way I can try to describe it is that FO makes more sense to me, but without actually losing the whimsy, the mystery, and the adventure. It captures the wisdom of this powerful realm in a way that the HOF either glazes over or keeps to itself.

I don't know how to compare the Tarot of the Hidden Realm to either deck though; they're very different to me both in terms of artwork and feel... Tarot of the Hidden Realm feels more calming to me, and it's indisputably Tarot in my world which affects how it reads for me.

lark

I agree sometimes you just shouldn't mess with perfection.

Luna's Crone

combining FO and HOF

I have both th FO and HOF and I combine them!! I don't see this as a deck of cards, rather a portal to another realm, where I get to play with these magical beings!! Seriously these have been by my side through so many ups and downs and I can't imagine life without them!! Enjoy your journey with the fae as it is truly wonderful ☺
Ps I have the secret forest deck and hate it...it creeps me out big time :/

wouldn't there be alot of overlap as far as key words and stuff? (i am not a true reader) If not that would be a great idea.

I have been to try and buy a couple of decks that would trigger shadow things in me for journalling therapy. Oracles are generally squeaky clean if you know what i mean. I was hoping a mischievous bunch of fae engery might help. But I just got FO today.

pickled pixie

wouldn't there be alot of overlap as far as key words and stuff? (i am not a true reader) If not that would be a great idea.

I have been to try and buy a couple of decks that would trigger shadow things in me for journalling therapy. Oracles are generally squeaky clean if you know what i mean. I was hoping a mischievous bunch of fae engery might help. But I just got FO today.
Oh these oracle's are definitely not squeaky clean!! ;) no I don't find that the messages double up to be honest, they maybe slightly similar but there is a subtle difference with each card! These decks are fabulous for shadow work! I cannot recommend them enough. :)

SpiritedNorth

I´m pretty new at this so I only have a couple of decks to compare but The Faeries Oracle is definitely a favourite. I feel that they are brutally honest at times and offers me a lot to think about during the day. :)

The Happy Squirrel

I think this will be my one and only item I will ever get they involves any forms of Faeries. I went back and forth about the HOF and I think illustrations is just one part of these things. It sounded like the FO's book, ie structure, is much much more sophisticated than the HOF. I could be wrong. But just looking at the title of the cards, if you aren't already a fan of Faeries, it is hard to see how those would work. Feels a bit too sugary to me. As for the artwork, I looooove some of the art on HOF that I could see, but dislike others so much as they remind me too much of run of the mills fairies. While FO feels distinctly Froud.