9-card combined spread

Trogon

A friend of mine was asking if I could do a reading for her that might give some insight into her health and feelings and why she is where she is now etc. Basically she was asking about some of the roots of her "mind-body-spirit" and where she's going. I came up with this spread to help her answer these questions... Hopefully, I'll be trying it out for her tomorrow night.

The spread basically combines the 3-card Past-Present-Future spread with the 3-card Mind-Body-Spirit spread. My thought was that the P-P-F would be read across, while the M-B-S would be read downwards. Hence, position 1, would be past mental states, 4, present mental state, etc. Diagonal relationships would be important as well; 1-5-9 might be read as how one's past mental state is affecting their present health situation and how this may affect their spiritual growth in the future.

.....P...P...F
M..1...4...7
B...2...5...8
S...3...6...9

Edited to add;

Sorry... got interrupted... that's the problem with doing this stuff at work. ;)

So... your single card positions are;

1=past state of mind
2=past state of health
3=past spiritual issues

4=present state of mind or something you need to work on
5=present health issues
6=present place in your spiritual growth (or something that is needed)

7=where your psyche is going, or something you will need to work on.
8=future health concerns
9=where you are headed spiritually, or something that will help you along your spiritual path

Now, I can't recall seeing this anywhere before, so if it has appeared before, please let me know. Also anxious to hear your thoughts on it. I'll report on how the reading with this goes.

[re-edited to correct typos]

Trogon

Okay... used this spread a few hours ago for the friend who had asked for the reading. I posted the reading in the "Your Readings" forum at http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11086

I feel that the reading went extremely well and the new spread worked very good for this general outlook reading. My friend agreed... it was a pretty powerful reading for her.

Jenny-Li

Ha - amazing!

This is actually a spread that I have had in my mind for a while, thinking I'd use it for reading for others - which is something I don't do often, and therefore I have never tried it myself...! :)

I will definitely check out your reading with it, and see what I can learn. I'm pretty sure this is a great spread though - it must be, since it came to the both of us! :D

Light and love,
Jenny :)

Kirali

A spread similiar to yours was published in the Fairy Ring Oracle book which Jewel kindly posted in the Faeries Oracle section.
It has a fourth set which can be labeled Emotions or Soul.

If you scroll about halfway down you can see it Here.

Originally posted by Jewel
The Life Reading
The Life reading may be used when an in-depth analysis of the questioner's life and circumstances if required. To give you a pricture of the questioner's past, begin the reading at Card 1 (past mental attitudes), next read Card 4 (past health), then Card 7 (past spiritual concerns), then Card 10 (past emotional concerns). Next read the cards in the "Present" column (Cards 2, 5, 8, 11). Finally the cards in the "Future" column (Cards 3, 6, 9, 12).

...........Past.......Present.......Future
Mind.........1............2............3..
Body.........4............5............6..
Spirit.......7............8............9..
Emotions....10...........11...........12..

Please note that the cards go in colums, I could not get this post to do the right spacing.

I like the spread! It works very well. :)

Trogon

Oooooh! I like the addition of the Emotions line... thank you very much Kirali.

Jenny-Li... Great minds think alike... LOL :joke:

Kirali

I like to add on to it because I'm forgetful and get confused

Mind-air-intellectual
Body-earth-material
Spirit-fire-creative
Soul-water-emotions

then I can remember what suits go with it if I'm using a tarot deck.

Originally posted by Trogon
Jenny-Li... Great minds think alike... LOL

Yep you both have great minds :)

Nician

I have yet one more line to add...

I usually just do a 5 card star spread for the present, but I think it would do well with the past / present / future spreads as well...and that covers spirit, mind, body, emotions, and finances.

Since many consult the tarot for work related issues or money woes, I've found having a slot for money is quite useful.

An idea...since this would make it a 15 card reading...perhaps you could use your 3 favorite decks for P/P/F! That should spice things up...and give you a chance to use more of your collection!