"The One With The Hypnosis Tape"

SkadisPhoenix

Aaah, Friends, how I love thee. :D

Back on topic! OK, just watching one of the episodes, where Chandler is smoking, and gets told that to listen to a hypnosis tape to sort that out. However, Phoebe is giving advice, and I noticed that Phoebe is dealing out Tarot cards. All I know is that they're about Druidcraft Tarot size, from what I could work out, and that they have really dark blue/purple backs. Does anybody have any idea what deck they are?! I don't even know if I'd WANT to get the deck, but I'm really curious about what the deck is, and if it's used in other episodes. :D

Chara

If anyone else goes looking for it, you can see the card backs a little better after the opening theme, when Chandler is playing around with the deck.

It almost seems like Chandler is messing around with a different deck than the one Phoebe had earlier, but it could just be the lighting.

However, when we see the backs in his hands, I keep thinking it miiiight be the Mythic Tarot, but then there appear to be some markings that are out of place for those backs...but I'm not sure if that's actually the case, or if it's just because the video quality isn't that high.

Good luck finding out which deck it is. I loved that episode, and never even noticed the deck. Good eye! :D

nisaba

It' the mythic. My computer is struggling very hard to do the Built-in Obsolescence thing and has been on that path for some time, so I haven't had sound of any kind for weeks. And I don't do lip-reading.

Do yourselves a favour - turn off your computer sound, and watch the clip silently. You know how dreadfully stilted the body-language always used to appear in 1940s and 1950s films, and how we all think they act better today? Well, without any sound to make sense of their movements and over-the-top facial expressions, their acting was *worse*, and much more stilted, just in a different direction. Friends? I'd cross the street to avoid 'em, just based ontheir body-language.

Before the titles, I caught a glimpse of one or two card-faces - most had been whited out by the lighting, and I think I saw a Mythic Pentacle card. And I saw fragments of gold on the card-backs after the titles, where the gold mythic logo is in the centre of the card, that combination of cup, wand, pentacle and word. I can't guarantee it, but I think it is.

If the Mythic is still under copyright, perhaps they used the Mythic as the basis for creating a copycat deck just for filming?

Hannafate

Y'know, that's highly probable. Copyright permissions get so complicated with television programs that I would not be surprised if they had their art department "come up with something". A quick prop deck that has no copyright problems.

SkadisPhoenix

Thank you guys! :D

Nisaba, I'm no good at knowing whether acting is good or not, but Friends makes me laugh, and I need that a LOT... :) Usually I'm watching detective dramas, CSI, Poirot etc. :D