Fantastical Creatures Tarot

OctoberGwen

Le Fanu said:
I noticed, but her writing gets such a slating for new agey prissiness that I've given it a wide berth ;) })

I don't know about prissiness, but there IS a reason I'm selling....what a crap salesperson I am, eh?

Anyhoo, I had the Fantastical and traded it. I ADORE mythical creatures (btw, that Bible looks terrific - thanks, HearthCricket), and the artwork was pretty, but... I don't know. It just didn't 'click' as a reading deck with me for some reason.

HearthCricket

Le Fanu said:
I knew this was one of your favourites from another thread!

Isn't this an amazing deck, dripping with atmosphere, gnarled roots and magic!

I ordered my copy online so it makes sense (with your shoplifting theory) that if you buy online it doesn't need to be a Premier Edition.

I really don't need the spread sheet and I have a fabulous baba Chinese dragon bag to keep it in.

I know a lot of the beasts from childhood reading; Pegasus, Medusa, the Arabian Nights etc.. but there are some others which I wasn't sure about. I'll check out your book recommendation.

Wonderful deck!

Yes! Of all her decks this is still my favourite one. I do find I prefer shorter spreads with it...3-5 cards seems to be adequate because the more you know about each being the more elaborate the reading becomes. I love the colours, the twisted branches, the obvious influence from Arthur Rackham, the brambles and faces in the trees, the stone pebbles, everything. Like pushing back branches to peer into a magical world. I also like that she has taken various "creatures" from a wide range of beliefs rather than just concentrating on Celtic, Roman or Greek. It seems to give it a more earthy atmosphere...almost an Eden where they have all come to work together. I have found the book I mentioned and any decks with Goddess book and even the internet to be helpful getting to know these characters! Mine is in a Baba Rackham bag! But I do agree that this deck can be very conducive to intuitive readings. See what the card means to you first and then learn about the specific creature being depicted. I think you will find it very multi-dimensional! Enjoy!