"Novelty" Decks

gregory

I have loads of novelty decks. I use them at times, and they work just as well as Deeply Earnest ones.

In fact I own one that is so utterly vile that I once read with it here on a bet. We were all gently blown away - I didn't like to expose anyone to its views on anything important to them, so I asked it about its contributions to the world of tarot - and it told me, quite honestly, that it thought it wasn't very important at all, even though it tries, but that it wasn't as bad as some thought. It was priceless. One person who commented said the poor deck seemed apologetic :D

There's no reason they shouldn't work perfectly well; there really isn't.

Nemia

The Housewives is not among my main reading decks but it gave me some spot-on readings. The gummy bear tarot looks quite cute, too ;-)

Alta

Tarot Corrupt, mentioned above (Ruijters) is so far into novelty I really doubt that I could use it. Maybe if I ever convert to Pastafarianism.

gregory

Tarot Corrupt, mentioned above (Ruijters) is so far into novelty I really doubt that I could use it. Maybe if I ever convert to Pastafarianism.
HEYYYYY... when's the next majors only exchange ? (actually I could use my 78 card Ruijters anyway !)

RobinRayfield

Maybe I should have said comedic decks instead of novelty decks. You all know what I mean.

Emily

I have a badly photo-shopped version of the RWS, I got it from a bargain book shop. The card stock isn't the best quality but it shuffles but the images are real people that look like they raided the dressing up box. The deck actually came with a disc and book to use with it. The people on the cards look they they really tried to get into the overall feel of the card they are portrayed on, they look like they had a lot of fun.

I usually hate the photo decks with real people but I'm fond of this deck and it reads well. Also I always forget the name of the deck but it does have one. I'm too lazy to go get the deck out of storage.

Le Fanu

I think of cat decks as novelty decks - and of course they read as well as any other. There's also the Happy Tarot. I haven't read with that one, although I do have it. Ones that try to be funny are the least successful ones in my opinion, but quirky themed ones - that's what I think of when someone says novelty - I could play around with.

Tanga

I think with a "novelty" - or "comedic" deck - it just depends whether you like the artwork/idea or not, to be able to use it like any other deck?
I have a few.

Perhaps RobinRayfield you'd like to be more specific - because maybe we don't "all know what you mean"...?
:) (i.e. Gummy Bear, Housewives and Corrumpe - are not comedy?? but then everyones idea of comedy is a bit different.
Here are those 3 decks:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gummibear/
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/housewives/
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/corrumpe/).

When you say "novelty" - I think that you mean anything that has imagery portrayed outside of (or in addition to) the "traditional" 'French School' of TdM and other old decks - or the "traditional" 'English School' of RWS and Thoth style decks.

So - that could include all sorts of things Tarot. Including Earthair experimental elemental Tarot, or Tarot Therapy - which just have images of nature in them:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/earthair-experimental-elemental-tarot/
http://www.philipcarr-gomm.com/tarot-therapy-deck/

I once had a Belly Dancers Tarot deck.
Photo shopped.
Looked like a group of dancer's got together and did the project in their spare time.
:)
Like Emily's deck - they looked like they'd had fun.

But I found there wasn't enough substance/symbolism added into the compositions for me - so I didn't get on with it (i.e. it was a "flat" read from the imagery).
I gave it away in the end - to a belly dancing friend and teacher.

gregory

I have a badly photo-shopped version of the RWS, I got it from a bargain book shop. The card stock isn't the best quality but it shuffles but the images are real people that look like they raided the dressing up box. The deck actually came with a disc and book to use with it. The people on the cards look they they really tried to get into the overall feel of the card they are portrayed on, they look like they had a lot of fun.

I usually hate the photo decks with real people but I'm fond of this deck and it reads well. Also I always forget the name of the deck but it does have one. I'm too lazy to go get the deck out of storage.

This one I think. It's - wonderful in an awful way :D

Perhaps RobinRayfield you'd like to be more specific - because maybe we don't "all know what you mean"...?
ER - yes !
I once had a Belly Dancers Tarot deck.
Photo shopped.
Looked like a group of dancer's got together and did the project in their spare time.
:)
Like Emily's deck - they looked like they'd had fun.

But I found there wasn't enough substance/symbolism added into the compositions for me - so I didn't get on with it (i.e. it was a "flat" read from the imagery).
I gave it away in the end - to a belly dancing friend and teacher.
I have that, too. I'm fond of it - but it doesn't read well.

Emily

That's it Simply Tarot :)

It actually looks more appealing than the new version of the Lo Scarabeo PCS.