Fake Nightmare before Christmas Deck?

MarkMcElroy

I've recently sold a Nightmare before Christmas "Tarot" on eBay. Tonight, I've received email from the buyer; he claims the deck is a cheap, photocopied counterfeit copy.

I've already urged him to return it to me for a full refund, of course.

When handling the deck prior to the auction, I did notice that the cards were printed on thin card stock and unevenly trimmed ... but, not having handled another copy of the deck before, I had no reason to suspect the deck was counterfeit.

So ... how about it? Does anyone here have a copy you know *isn't* counterfeit? If so, what's the card stock like? The print quality? The trim?

Any info appreciated.

Mark

HudsonGray

If no one here has it, you can always contact someone selling a deck on ebay (or contact Tarot Garden) and ask about the card stock quality.

Umbrae

If memory serves, the cardstock was rather thick. Cards cut uniform. The Tarot Garden database says that it's actually 2 sets of 13 identical cards. It was not created as a reading deck, but as a giveaway item. The box was not glued to withstand sitting on the shelf, and was made of a rather thick stock. If memory serves...

Miren

I don't know if people would be interested, but one use you might get out of the cards would be to have some kind of giveaway thing like people have done with "real" decks. Just specify that it's fake and some people might be interested anyway. That way it doesn't go to waste.

I hope you didn't have to pay much for it. :(

Adam McLean

Mark,

The Nightmare before Christmas is printed on very thick stock, so much so that the cards are quite inflexible. They also have a matt varnish which though subtle can still be felt with the thumb.

This deck used to fetch high prices (well over $100) but I have recently seen copies go for a lot less.

The cards are large, 7 inches by 4.25 and have large rounded corners. They come in quite a strong thick cardboard box.

There are two sets of thirteen cards with the same design in the box, but one set has a green and the other a red patterned back.

MarkMcElroy

Thanks to All!

Adam McLean said:
Mark,

The Nightmare before Christmas is printed on very thick stock, so much so that the cards are quite inflexible. They also have a matt varnish which though subtle can still be felt with the thumb.

Thanks for all the replies ... and thanks, too, for this, Adam. The deck is definitely counterfeit, given your description, as it is printed on ultra-thin paper and is in a plastic box.

I'll auction it later ... as a poor-quality copy! :)