Fantastic Menagerie Tarot Deck should i get it?

Dejavooo

Hello, i recently was thinking about getting the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot Deck. I saw some of the pictures and fell in love with it! The only problem is, seeing how there are different bugs and stuff in there, are there any spiders? It might be a silly question but i probably won't be able to use it if there are, because i really, really afraid of them to the point where i can't even look at the picture, so please if any one has this deck and is familiar with it enough to say can you please tell me?
Thank you =)

mollymawk

Check the Fantastic Menagerie site.

All the cards are shown on it (just click on 'cards').

It's already made it into my top three decks, so I hope there's nothing too scary there for you.

As for my own familiarity with the deck, there are some dragonflies on the Knight of Swords, and there are a lot of beetles and caterpillars, but the dragonflies are as close to spiders as it gets. Don't know if that bothers you, so....

Dejavooo

Alright, thank you! Now i have 78 cards to go through ^^
I really hope that there are no spiders *shudder* there because the art is very lovely!

.traveller.

There is a spider web on the Strength card but no obvious spiders that I spotted. Spiders aren't a fav of mine either even though they are very necessary in the broad scheme of things.

Rosanne

I am sorry you are arachnaphobic Dejavooo- it must be hard going at times.
There are only two spiders I think and they both look very unspiderlike- in fact they look like click beetles. I hope you can get the deck- it is great and the companion book is excellent and I have found can be used successfully with other decks as well. ~Rosanne

mollymawk

Agreed, though I don't want to make Sophie blush (okay, maybe a little). The companion book is one of the best 'intro to tarot' books I've ever read, as well as taking you back to JJ Grandville's Paris.

So if you're a big tarot and Grandville fan....

tarotreader2007

It seems like a cute deck but not one I could read with. This would definitely be one for art for me. I don't get it at all. Great artwork, but doesn't get me with the definitions of a card. I like to have some anchoring to the traditional definitions.

Cute deck

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

yaraluna

tarotreader2007 said:
... I don't get it at all. Great artwork, but doesn't get me with the definitions of a card. I like to have some anchoring to the traditional definitions.

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

Wow! That is what attracted me to the deck in the first place: the 'lose' way it shows the traditional meanings. I don't care for 'traditional'meanings or RWS but this deck and other baba decks are very well done. they follow RWS in a way but leave room fo ryou to read intuitively if you want. if you place two or more baba decks )ie VRoman, FMenag, BBC) spread out in order side by side, you will find the RWS meanings there, either explicitly or subtly, but they sure are there.

yara

Jewel

yaraluna said:
they follow RWS in a way but leave room fo ryou to read intuitively if you want. if you place two or more baba decks )ie VRoman, FMenag, BBC) spread out in order side by side, you will find the RWS meanings there, either explicitly or subtly, but they sure are there.
I agree with Yaraluna. The meanings are there, what is not there is the suit symbols all over the cards. The cards are composed in a manner that defines the meaning of the card. I have yet to own a baba deck that I could not read with, and for those who know me they know that is saying a lot!

Jewel

I have been working with this deck a lot lately and thought it was a good time to revive this thread.

I originally traded for this deck because it was one of the few baba decks I did not have, and wanted to try it out although it didn't just jump out and grab me like the BBC, Fairytale, and VR did.

After seriously working with it I have to agree that this is a really good deck. It is not an emotional deck, and gives real direct responses. It does also have a sense of humor. I found that reading with it is quite different than just looking through it. It just seems to really come alive in readings.

Great deck!