Fantastical creatures - looking good!

wytchwood

Wow! That's a really beautiful deck!

Zoe

HearthCricket

sravana said:
Wow. Since when is Kali Ma a "fantastical creature"??
That kills the deck for me. If I were a Hindu I would be outraged.

I always try to take everything with a grain of salt, or we can be insulted in this world very easily. The way I see it is this does not say "Fantasy", but rather "fantastical", which to me means amazing, incredible, fantastic, something that challenges one's beliefs. And we are all creatures on this earth, be we real, or not. As a Christian I would not be insulted by seeing a card of Christ rising from the dead or floating up bodily into Heaven, or Angels removing the stone from his grave, etc. All of that is pretty darn fantastical, too! If anything, I think it almost enhances the spiritual nature of the deity, no matter who it is! Now if she chose just that deity and no others, yes, I would question it and hope the book has a very good reason why!

Jewel

If I understand, sravana, your main complaint is that she is placed in a deck with the name Fantastical Creatures, creatures probably being the most offensive part of the title for you and many others perhaps, when she is a goddess, and to top it off that she is portrayed as a minor arcana card, and one with with a usually "negative" connotation.

I am not trying to defend, contradict, or change your view, but I did a google search for Kali Ma and found this web site: http://www.paganpaths.net/kali.html

I really liked what it said about her meaning the death of the ego to the person who wrote the website (this is not a tarot website by the way or one I know anything about), but that is one of the meanings I hold for the 10 of Swords. There is other interesting stuff on this site as well that helped me understand why DJ and Lisa might have been chosen her for this card.

Again, I am not trying to make any social commentary here, or criticize your views, just trying to explore why Kali Ma was chosen.

On a clear day

Is this deck-Fantastical Creatures-available for sale? If so, can I buy it in the UK? Or put on pre-order?

Thank you for any help x

Jewel

On a Clear Day, you can pre-order it from Tarot Garden. They are in the US but do ship worldwide.

Owlface

on a clear day, I'm not aware of anywhere in Britain where you can pre-order this. I've pre-ordered my own from Tarot Garden.

As for kali, yes, it does seem rather odd categorizing her as a "fantastical creature" but it may fit okay within the context. Whether Hindus would be offended. . .well, I can't judge but I suspect that SOME Hindus, yes, might be.

a_shikhs

rosyelf said:
As for kali, yes, it does seem rather odd categorizing her as a "fantastical creature" but it may fit okay within the context. Whether Hindus would be offended. . .well, I can't judge but I suspect that SOME Hindus, yes, might be.
Well me being a hindu and a great dovetee of Kali Ma, I dont think that I would be offended by seeing this goddess as one of the 'fantastical creatures'. As HearthCricket said, 'fantastical' which means fantastic and amazing, I think its quite cool that Kali Ma is depicted as one of the fantastic and amazing goddess. :)

Back to the thread, this deck is really beautiful.

Cerulean

Tengu, Fu Dog and Fox Spirits...hmmmm...

Interesting versions. Unfortunately the Fox Spirit thumbnail links back to an Eastern/Western Dragon image.

Actually, I am rather glad someone incorporated these in a deck.

Because I've seen rather cartoonish pictures of deities of the Japanese pantheon with comical characteristics, it's probably less of an issue with me when I see so many variations of deities and depictions that do not jive with my ideals. From what I've seen of Lisa Hunt, her sincere appreciation of what she envisions seems kindly.

But as an aside...I may have had too many of her works, because I think I've seen the rearing dragon surrounded by light, the rising mermaid and Pegasus flying in other decks...but I could be wrong, since I only have her Animals Divine right now.

If I hear more reports of her Fantastic Creatures deck and decide to get one, I probably will let go of my Animals Divine deck...because I like the idea of tarot versatility and imaginary creatures being a part of a tarot pantheon!

There are so many millions of people, thousands of artists, hundreds of images of divine creatures and beings through the ages...the best ones will last longer than myself...

I really like this discussion, as it opens my mind and thoughts to many topics. Really enjoy the thought that this deck is opening up people discussing such ideas and doors to the mind--and it's not even out yet!

Best regards,

Cerulean