Goddess Tarot - 2 ~ Wisdom: Sarasvati

destinyawaitsme

Sarasvati is the Hindu goddess of knowledge and culture, and she represents the Wisdom card (High Priestess). Her lotus throne and the water symbolizes her spritual knowledge and mastery of her intuition. I also read from a site that she was origionally a river goddess. She is usually depicted with a sitar (or some other musical instrument) because she is also the goddess of music.

You can read more about her here: http://community-2.webtv.net/TerMcC/Sarasvati/

The website above said that one of the symbols she is associated with is a white swan,a nd if you look in the border you will notice several. Also the end of her sitar is a swan's head. I also found that she was the patron goddess of writers.

Moongold

Hi Destiny and everyone :)

How do we think we might conduct the study group?

Do people simply want to find out more about the images used in the deck or discuss the symbolism in each image more? Or do people want to give personal responses to the images?

I would like to know why the author chose Sarasvati for this particular card. She is the Goddess of Culture and Knowledge - perhaps that is why.

Perhaps my initial impressions? The Goddess seems to be either posed before a picture of these beautiful mountains or hovering somewhere above them. There is a special quality of the ethereal in all of these images but especially in this one. The image is easy to meditate with. The colours are so vibrant, and even seem to glow.

I love the border on the cards as well. It provides a gateway, an invitation to the sacred, something I really value in the rush of my daily life. If I stop and look at this card I find myself drawn into it, past those gentle watchbird Swans.

I like the notion of more specific attributes being made to the High Priestess than in conventional decks - the music for example. Music to me is a path to the sacred.

The idea of the High Priestess has always really appealed to me. Should we even be thinking of Sarasvati as the High Priestess or should we just be thinking of her as the Goddess of Wisdom?

Moongold

destinyawaitsme

Well, as far as the study group goes I'm interested in 1) finding out some history about each goddess, 2) determining why the author depicted that certain Goddess to represent that concept, and 3) symbolism and images on the cards. Anyone can feel free to start a thread on whichever card they want. I was just eager to get the creative juices flowing. ;)

Whether we should consider Sarasvati the High Priestess or the Goddess of Wisdom is a good question though. There are many things the two have in common. Sarasvati is the Goddess of Wisdom, and the high Priestess is someone who I would see having a lot of wisdom. The only thing is that the author talks about the Wisdom card and teaching (being a teacher or being taught). When I think of the High Priestess I think of that image that coleman-Smith drew of a lady on a throne with all the secrets tucked away behind her. Almost like..."well, you figure it out." Showing that we should look inside for answers before looking outside. The author's interpretation was that a teacher would teach you what you seek. What do you guys think?

Jewel-ry

Hi moongold and destinyawaitsme,

I would just like to say that I learn best by trying to find some sort of symbolism in the card to hang my meaning on. I would like to learn about the individual goddess but I think its better to do so in the context of the card otherwise the data gets too much to handle.

Just my take on it really!

As you may have read on another thread I have been feeling rather poorly so may not be with you for a couple of days but dont think I've deserted you, I'll be back!! While I'm in bed feeling sorry for myself I shall look at a couple of these cards and give my take on them.

J :)

anjocoxo

Just adding some more information:

"The archetype of Human Creativity. As consort of Brahma, Sarasvati is the Goddess of learning and the creative sciences. In Hinduism, the Quiescent or Absolute aspect of Godhead is depicted by the male Divinity, and the active-creative Divine Force by the female energy or Shakti. Just as Kali represents Shakti in her fierce nature, Sarasvati represents her in mild form. She is goddess of speech, poetry, music and science. She is depicted with a veena and her mount, the swan; one hand holds a sacred book, the other confers blessing."

You can find this in

http://www3.mailordercentral.com/sacredsource/prodinfo.asp?number=S8&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1

Anjo

Moongold

My wonderful new Moon Magick book had some ideas about acknowledging Sarasvati - the Goddess of learning,writing and account books. Hooray for all of us struggling with our budgets!

Sarasvatis is also a river goddess and her festival occurs at the time of the crescent moon. In India they begin her festival by cleaning up their desks and writing implements.

Why not do this ourselves? Get some fresh flowers and put them on your desk. Some sandalwood incense would be nice too, and a picture of Sarasvati - perhaps this card. Have a candle ready.

Then have a leisurely bath and make yourself look as attactive as possible. Remember that we are to be speaking with a goddess and we really should not look like slobs :laugh:. True, no matter if we are in the privacy of our own homes.

When we are ready, light the incense and the candle and recite the following prayer:

I stand at the centre of this spiritual universe,
Within the heart of the scared mandala,
Gentle Sarasvati, I come to you ffor aid and blessings

Sarasvati helps the creative process with new projects, so we can have whatever we want her help with written down on a piece of paper to lay before her. I am putting there today my plans for work for the next year in broad terms.

As you say the following prayer, visualize the crescent moon in the night sky. This symbol often adorns the forehead of Sarasvati but I cannot see it clearly in this card. Never mind. Keep your self open to inner voices which may speak to you at this time, and say the following prayer:

Beautiful Sarasvati, goddess of light and inspiration,
Reveal to me the knowledge that I need.
Grant my request in a manner that benefits me.
Thank you, lovely goddess.

Moongold

autumnsdaughter

Sarasvati seems to me almost a muse- the goddess of inspiration. And yet, she is larger than that, as she won't be simply categorized as inspiration... she is so much more. She seems so compassionate to me, almost like Tara in sense. She seems so open to me- she appeals to me more than most High Priestesses do. She is throned in a lotus flower, signifying her ability to make beauty out of sludge. Gold light emanates from her body- she is enlightened, and overflowing with cultural gold. Both depths (water) and heights (mountains) are her environment- she is comfortable with both the high wisdom and deep knowing of the universe, and able to express it through music, arts, writing... she is a communicator. Her familiar is the swan- purity, inherent spiritual gifts, grace.