Goddess Tarot ~ Reversals

Shalott

How do y'all feel about reversals with this deck? I'm much more used to RWS, where you can see the ppl losing their wands when they're upside down, LOL.

I'm so used to using reversals, but am considering not doing so here...and I feel strange about it! Breaking with tradition! No!!!! ;)

brandi124

I use a Goddess tarot deck too and I've been kind of uncomfortable with the reversals-- specifically the explanations given in the workbook about reversals-- every single one basically says *not* or opposite of the upright meaning and I just can't believe it's that cut and dried (where did that phrase come from I wonder). There was a thread I just saw about 12 ways to look at reversals though that made me feel a lot better about being able to interpret them effectively-- I'd do like the tech savvy folks here and put a link now but I don't know how to do that :). But I don't know-- is it only the images that are bothersome for you?

Antharias

Reversals

Then if you dont use reversals, then, how to know if is the right or contrary meaning? does it depends on the spread?

Sophie-David

Hi Folks

Excuse the interruption, but the one source I've read about twelve ways to use reversals is The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary K. Greer. It is mentioned at this thread which also has links to other threads on reversals.

Personally I feel free to depart from the deck creator's meanings and use my own interpretive system which is naturally developing over time. I like to let particular decks speak to me with their own unique imagery and certainly take the time to read the author's intent for each card, but I let my own developing instincts and experience about the reversals take priority.

Although its a little too feminine for me, I like and respect The Goddess Tarot and it was the second deck which I met, the Connolly being the first. It is my mentor's favourite deck and she gave me my second reading with it - The Goddess Tarot will always have special associations for me.

Cheers
David

Druidess_Fianna

I did a reading for myself just yesterday and ended up with almost entirely reversed cards. The interpretation was right on the mark for me. I was able to read the author's intended message, consider the traditional RW style of interpretation for the reversal, consider the sheer opposite of the right side up version, and examine the "shadow side" of the themes for each card. The interpretation that seemed most effective and "on the mark" were the author's interpretations for the reversals. Please note also though that I have the paperback book that comes with the kit version as well as The Goddess Tarot Workbook (it's kind of hard to acquire now - new ones start at an average of $80 or so dollars and are available on Amazon however there aren't many of them left). I don't think you can get the accompanying paperback separately from the kit although it does have a price on the back of it for $12.00 so it may be possible to find one. The technical title of it is The Goddess Tarot written and illustrated by Kris Waldherr. Of course, if you have the money to get the workbook, I would just do that and skip over trying to search for the paperback unless you intend on buying a second deck in the kit version to get the paperback. The only real difference the paperback has from the paper pamphlet is that it describes in detail what's going on in each picture. In working with this deck, I've also found that the author's two other books have come in handy in understanding the goddesses and the myths better. Her other books are... The Book of Goddesses: A Celebration of the Divine Feminine and Embracing the Goddess Within: A Creative Guide for Women. The first of those may be out of print as it's very expensive - around $80 but still able to be purchased new on Amazon. Hope this information helps - in general, as well as in interpreting the reversals for this deck.