The Alice Tarot

baba-prague

I'm just starting this thread as a place to post cards as we go along, as it really belongs here rather than in decks until the deck actually exists.

For now, I'll just repost the website:

http://www.alicetarot.com

There is also a Facebook page for general discussions.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baba-Studio/53690237671#/pages/AliceTarot/187206919122

I like the way that all the picture albums in Facebook are all in one place, so in a way that will act as an archive and it'll be easier to look there for all the developing pictures instead of going through a thread. The website will show the cards, but the Facebook page will also have more sketches, work in progress, photos of photo sessions etc. Right now it's pretty empty, but it will begin to have more on it in the next few weeks.

I will try to keep everything up to date there and here, but I don't promise to manage it always!

yirabeth

I'm new to facebook and enjoying it's benefits also -- I'm following the deck there, and now here, as it looks like one I'm going to enjoy!

Always did like Alice in Wonderland....

~Yira

Guiding Cauldron

Got the newsletter and had a look at your samples I have to say I was amazed at what I saw; not really what I was expecteing but such a lovely deck! I LOVE the way Alice looks too. :)

baba-prague

Guiding Cauldron said:
Got the newsletter and had a look at your samples I have to say I was amazed at what I saw; not really what I was expecteing but such a lovely deck! I LOVE the way Alice looks too. :)

I think some people thought it would be more a redo of the Tenniel illustrations - like the Wonderland Tarot - but in fact, we really wanted to do our own Alice. Maybe especially because we've worked such a lot with the Tenniel and Rackham illustrations and had come to know what we would do differently. Not better of course, but simply more in our own way.

AJ

The right hand one looks like 3-D!

philebus

baba-prague said:
I think some people thought it would be more a redo of the Tenniel illustrations - like the Wonderland Tarot - but in fact, we really wanted to do our own Alice. Maybe especially because we've worked such a lot with the Tenniel and Rackham illustrations and had come to know what we would do differently. Not better of course, but simply more in our own way.

I'm glad to see that you are going your own way with this one. Part of the pleasure I get from each new Alice that I discover is seeing how each artist interprets the story and characters - from Rackham to Svankmajer. I shall look forward to adding this one to my collections.

Annabelle

I'm enjoying what I've seen so far -- Alice, but with a definite Baba look and feel. Thanks so much for being willing to share early sneak-peeks with us all :).

baba-prague

philebus said:
I'm glad to see that you are going your own way with this one. Part of the pleasure I get from each new Alice that I discover is seeing how each artist interprets the story and characters - from Rackham to Svankmajer. I shall look forward to adding this one to my collections.

I'm sure there will be nods to both Svankmajer and Rackham in this deck, as well as Tenniel. Of course it's a bit daunting doing an Alice here when we're not five minutes away from Svankmajer's home. Perhaps we will dare to give him a deck when it's done.

For those who don't know the Svankmajer Alice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5wHMgTPF-s

philebus

And for all the wonderful illustrations that I have seen, that little girl is by far my favourite Alice! I cannot recommend Svankmajer's film enough to all Alice lovers - I doubt very much, for all the wizardry he can command, that Tim Burton's Alice will affect you so much as this one.

I shall certainly keep an eye open for influences but it will be your own contributions that I shall enjoy the most. Your choice of Lovers has already made me smile.

baba-prague

philebus said:
I shall certainly keep an eye open for influences but it will be your own contributions that I shall enjoy the most. Your choice of Lovers has already made me smile.

You know that Tenniel asked Carroll to change the original poem he wrote?

It was:
The Walrus and the Carpenter were walking hand in hand.

But Tenniel asked for it to be changed, so it became:
The Walrus and the Carpenter were walking close at hand.

(reference Martin Gardner, The Annotated Alice)

I think Tenniel was rather too proper for his own good in some ways.