Gold/Silver Baba decks. Favorites? Why?

LindaMechele

That's actually not a bad description of the VR Gold stock, I think. :) ... Those old Baba decks ... seem all to have the same or similar cardstock. It's silky and feels a bit worn even when new.
Good to know. I've been leaning towards a second edition VR because of the gold, but am not positive which I'll go for yet. Nice to know they pretty much all have that great cardstock.

Well, although it was my deck of choice for a long time and I loved reading with it, the size of the cards was too big for my hands and the card stock on both the VR Gold decks I had turned into floppy, limp things that were very unsatisfactory for shuffling. It was like trying to shuffle heavy fabric or something. On the other hand, I had both the BG regular and the BG silver and the card stock held up wonderfully on those. Karen said it was the same card stock used, but I don't see how it could have been.
Yeah, I'm a little leery of the size as well. I'd LOVE to get a mini, but have only seen them selling for triple the price of a regular version, and since the regular is still a bit of a stretch, that makes the mini almost out of the question (I say almost because I may be able to talk myself into it yet ;) ).

Thanks for the info on cardstock. So I can get a better feel for where you're coming from on that, what kind of cardstock do you really like?

My regret is that Baba Studios decks get snapped up in a feeding frenzy by those who can afford to buy a bunch of them at a time, to then reap sales of three figures or more when by rights, Baba Studios is the one who deserves at least some of the extra money, ... in the spirit that I'd just clear my throat and glare at a kid getting extra desserts for supposed friends and then eating them all themselves. lol
:joke: I know what you mean. It doesn't sit right with me either, but it is what it is. Though I kind of do feel they should give some of the profit to Baba Studios, I don't really think that way. Emotion vs. objectivity there. But both sides of me are glad Baba's benefiting of being known as the maker of sought-after decks, so pretty much anything new they offer will likely sell well. So it's as if they really are getting a cut of those resale values.

... the gold looks 'painted on' top of the original card while with the VR Gold and BG Silver it seems to be part of the images. Note on The Magician how the gold on the front of his jacket just looks as if added with a gold Sharpie.
Yeah, that's not good. Thank you for posting that, Alta. Is the gold or silver that way on any other decks that you know of?

Not sure why I was underwhelmed by the BG Silver, although I rather liked it (maybe the disappointment was due to hype + collectors' price tag = unrealistic expectations).
That's a big reason I haven't jumped and bought one yet. And a big reason why I'm loving this thread - so I can make sure my expectations are in line with reality before I decide to fork over the cash on a Baba deck.

My first impression when shuffling the Fairytale is that they feel a bit 'naked'. It felt a bit like shuffling papers. I bought the deck pre-loved but un-used from what I have been told. So I take it to be the character of this particular card stock.
That sounds perfect to me! It's exactly how the vintage Rider I have feels, and the vintage 20th Century. I love that feel.

I personally wouldn't put it quite that way (I'd say they feel a little fragile and "worn," even when new), but I have heard them described more than once in precisely those terms.
Fragile and worn. I love fragile and worn. I like well used antique decks for that very reason.

My VRG also feels a bit like that exquisite old gold shimmer is peeking from underneath, as if somehow comes from a deeper, more remote place than the rest of what you see.
Sounds lovely! I think I'd like that much more than it looking like it's sitting on top.

So what edition is yours again, FLizarraga? I forget. Mind like a steel sieve.:rolleyes:

The Happy Squirrel

Just a side note: some of the quotes above have been attributed to different members from the ones actually commenting originally :D I think due to cut and paste function :D I have done that before myself :D

For example it is me who said I was underwhelmed by the BG silver not our dear Fliz :D

FLizarraga

So what edition is yours again, FLizarraga? I forget. Mind like a steel sieve.:rolleyes:

Tell ME about it. The other day I watched The Paycheck, a movie about a computer whiz who gets his memory erased every time he finishes a job, and halfway through it I realized that I had indeed seen the film, and that I had no idea how it ended... as if my memory of it had been erased in its turn.... :bugeyed:

Mine is the one and only Victorian Romantic Gold. Which is basically the first ed with antique gold ink added in places. I haven't seen images of the Gold Cats, but from what I have read it seems to be the second ed, since it doesn't have the large flowery borders.

Grizabella

Thanks for the info on cardstock. So I can get a better feel for where you're coming from on that, what kind of cardstock do you really like?

I love the thin but durable and crisp, whippy card stock Llewellyn uses. The Llwellyn deck, Shadowscapes, and Green Witch are examples. Lo Scarabeo has always been a favorite of mine for the size and card stock, too. Some people think Llewellyn decks are flimsy because of the card stock but they're very durable and stand up to years and years of wear.

FLizarraga

Hey Flizzy, CONGRATS! :) I'd like to get the BBC gold. It is so cool, completely "baroque". I'm glad (or not?) that I didn't get in touch with the VR gold and BG silver, so maybe I can't imagine enough how wonderful they are and have at this point no desire. But we'll see.

Wish you a lot of fun with your gem!

Thank you, my dear and intrepid explorer! :D

You are absolutely right: it is safer NOT to be in contact with these astonishing decks.

RiverRunsDeep

Not sure why I was underwhelmed by the BG Silver, although I rather liked it (maybe the disappointment was due to hype + collectors' price tag = unrealistic expectations). I may have mentioned this somewhere as well, if you consider Alice as one of these 'gold/silver' ones, my favourite is the Alice :)

Funny how we are each so different. I was underwhelmed by the VR Gold, and completely starstruck by the BG Silver. I think of the VR Gold as a "Sun" deck, and the BG Silver as a "Moon" deck. My personal preference is for the mysteries of night-time, and reading with the BG Silver is like reading by the light of a Full Moon. Love it!

The Happy Squirrel

Funny how we are each so different. I was underwhelmed by the VR Gold, and completely starstruck by the BG Silver. I think of the VR Gold as a "Sun" deck, and the BG Silver as a "Moon" deck. My personal preference is for the mysteries of night-time, and reading with the BG Silver is like reading by the light of a Full Moon. Love it!

I have never seen the VR gold :)
But it has became far too expensive even for a self professed collector like me :) So I am not likely to try to get it :)

LindaMechele

Just a side note: some of the quotes above have been attributed to different members from the ones actually commenting originally :D I think due to cut and paste function :D I have done that before myself :D

For example it is me who said I was underwhelmed by the BG silver not our dear Fliz :D
You had me scared that it was me, Squirrel, so I had to go back and check what I'd screwed up. :joke: Nope, not me (for once! :joke:).

Tell ME about it. The other day I watched The Paycheck, a movie about a computer whiz who gets his memory erased every time he finishes a job, and halfway through it I realized that I had indeed seen the film, and that I had no idea how it ended... as if my memory of it had been erased in its turn.... :bugeyed:
:joke::joke::joke: I was just talking to someone else about this re: books. Was that you? On the Harry Potter deck thread, saying one benefit of getting older means you can reread your favorite books and enjoy them just as much as the first time. :joke:

Mine is the one and only Victorian Romantic Gold. Which is basically the first ed with antique gold ink added in places. I haven't seen images of the Gold Cats, but from what I have read it seems to be the second ed, since it doesn't have the large flowery borders.
Oh, I didn't know there was a first edition with gold! That's what had me confused. So for the Victorian Romantic, there's a:
First Edition,
First Edition with Gold accents,
and a Second Edition all with Gold accents and edging,
right? Any others? (Anyone know? Not just FL?)

Then the Cats and Gothic - First and Second Eds? Do all have gold/silver? Accents or edging?

I love the thin but durable and crisp, whippy card stock Llewellyn uses. The Llwellyn deck, Shadowscapes, and Green Witch are examples. Lo Scarabeo has always been a favorite of mine for the size and card stock, too. Some people think Llewellyn decks are flimsy because of the card stock but they're very durable and stand up to years and years of wear.
This really helps, Grizabella. Thanks. I love the Shadowscapes' and Green Witch's cardstock, that it's thinner than my LoScarabeo decks, but also love the vintage Rider's being a little more thick without being too thick. After using one of the thinner cardstocks, the Rider does feel a lot more hefty.

What a cool analogy!

FLizarraga

:joke::joke::joke: I was just talking to someone else about this re: books. Was that you? On the Harry Potter deck thread, saying one benefit of getting older means you can reread your favorite books and enjoy them just as much as the first time. :joke:

It might have been me.... but I already forgot! :laugh:

Oh, I didn't know there was a first edition with gold! That's what had me confused. So for the Victorian Romantic, there's a:
First Edition,
First Edition with Gold accents,
and a Second Edition all with Gold accents and edging,
right? Any others? (Anyone know? Not just FL?)

Then the Cats and Gothic - First and Second Eds? Do all have gold/silver? Accents or edging?

Actually, the Gold edition of the VR has gold accents, but not gold edges. The (more colorful) second edition has gold edges, but no gold accents. There's also the mini, also with gold edges, which I'm assuming it's the 2nd ed, unless someone corrects me.

The BG:

1st ed
Silver special ed (1st ed with silver accents)
2nd ed
Pewter Ed (2nd ed with soft silver edges)
3rd ed
3rd ed mini (silver accents on the backs)

I'm not sure about the others.

FLizarraga

This is a BEAUTIFUL analogy, RiverRunsDeep!

There's also a paradox here, because the solar magnificence of the VR Gold cannot be appreciated at full sunlight. It's sort of a crepuscular sun, if you will. A twilight deck.