How to manage decks with chipped/peeling corners

DaughterOfDanu

I've found most decks with dark backs or borders have a little chipping that comes from handling over time but it's never very pronounced, but after a few days of handling my Tarot of Trees I've noticed the deck has some obvious peeling issues at the corners and will very quickly become much more noticeable.

If at all possible, don't want to go through the trouble of returning and waiting for another copy which may have the same issue. I'm hoping others have some tips as to what I could do to fix it or if it may be better just to get in contact with the deck's creator.

Attachments

• 20160329_104733.jpg
    20160329_104733.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 455

FaintlyMacabre

That is a pretty back.

It's hard to say if it is what I ran into on the older MG that I bought but on that one it looks like the layers are peeling and I really think I am going to have to trim the corners. When I shuffled it, a little chunk came off of one corner. I'm not sure if it is bad cutting or what sort of defect there.

I haven't decided if it is worth messing with, but I guess cutting all the corners and perhaps edging them is what I would try. Apparently another defective one (different but similar turned up) so perhaps I would just buy another stinker..

Now you can fuss about yours and if it hasn't been too long, I think that's what I'd do.

Diana

MissNine

Have you tried contacting the seller and asking her to ship a replacement? Oftentimes, in the instance of defective products that are at lower price points (versus a MacBook), sellers will send you a replacement or grant you a refund without having you return the deck. This is the case usually when you can explain to the seller that shipping the defective deck back to them would cost you too much money and render you in a worse position. For instance, I just purchased an oracle deck for $14. It arrived damaged. Shipping it back would have cost me $1, so shipping the deck would have put me in the podituon of having paid for more than two decks. I explained that to the merchant, so they provided a full refund without having me ship back the deck.

DaughterOfDanu

Have you tried contacting the seller and asking her to ship a replacement? Oftentimes, in the instance of defective products that are at lower price points (versus a MacBook), sellers will send you a replacement or grant you a refund without having you return the deck. This is the case usually when you can explain to the seller that shipping the defective deck back to them would cost you too much money and render you in a worse position. For instance, I just purchased an oracle deck for $14. It arrived damaged. Shipping it back would have cost me $1, so shipping the deck would have put me in the podituon of having paid for more than two decks. I explained that to the merchant, so they provided a full refund without having me ship back the deck.

I sent the artist a message earlier today so fingers crossed that this will be an easily resolved situation. I really am attached to this deck and am looking forward to using it a lot, so that's why the peeling corners issue has me so concerned.

Worst case scenario I'll ink the edges- though I'd like to avoid that since I'm no crafting/inking expert :p

MissNine

I sent the artist a message earlier today so fingers crossed that this will be an easily resolved situation. I really am attached to this deck and am looking forward to using it a lot, so that's why the peeling corners issue has me so concerned.

Worst case scenario I'll ink the edges- though I'd like to avoid that since I'm no crafting/inking expert :p
Crossing my fingers for you! :)

CharlotteK

This is what I did to my Tarot of Trees 3rd edition this weekend as it had exactly the same peeling and chipping issues. It has worked a treat though nothing will make the corners unpeeled at least now it's not obvious.

370424b3657366ec7d9ffc1aedf90a23.jpg

7eaa6c6ed4903c39209880beb65d718c.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

DaughterOfDanu

This is what I did to my Tarot of Trees 3rd edition this weekend as it had exactly the same peeling and chipping issues. It has worked a treat though nothing will make the corners unpeeled at least now it's not obvious.

370424b3657366ec7d9ffc1aedf90a23.jpg

7eaa6c6ed4903c39209880beb65d718c.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
That looks great. Is that with sharpie or inking? If it's with a sharpie did you use a thick one or just a regular tipped one? I may do that to mine, it's very tempting!

Babalon Jones

A black sharpie touches up white spots on the edge of black bordered decks perfectly. Easy, harmless to the deck and works like a charm. Black bordered decks this is just what happens, unless they are those plastic coated cards (yuck, imo)

nisaba

I've found most decks with dark backs or borders have a little chipping that comes from handling over time but it's never very pronounced, but after a few days of handling my Tarot of Trees I've noticed the deck has some obvious peeling issues at the corners and will very quickly become much more noticeable.

I own about 170 decks at present, and probably three-quarters of them are Very Well Used Indeed, and I'm always baffled when perople talk about chipped or peeling corners. It's just never happened to any of my decks from any publisher on any cardstock. The worst I've seen is that over decades of heavy use, the formerly sharp edges become slightly softened - which is a Good Thing as it stoped me getting papercuts. And card-papercuts are far more painful than computer-paper-papercuts, and take longer to heal.

<curiously> Can anybody show me a photo of this phenomenon?