How do you store your cards?

Ron521

When you don't actually have your cards out for use, where do you keep them? I see many "tarot boxes" on Amazon and eBay, and many bags, etc. Most of the stores in my area which sell tarot cards also sell these same sort of items, of varying quality.

I am drawn to some sort of nice wooden box, but the ones I've seen have not always been so wonderful in terms of workmanship (although the designs are often attractive), so at present, I'm keeping my cards in their original cardboard boxes, and being very careful.

Alta

I like wooden boxes and find them very attractive; I have several. But with the size of my collection, which btw is quite mid-size in this group, it just isn't practical to have very many. I used plastic sliding shelves from Staples, an office supply store, for most of them..

Tanga

Mostly stacked in a shelf that I've squeezed on top of my bookcase (there's also a decorative satchel-thing
- and some plastic tubs under my bed...)
They're each in a pretty bag - some wrapped in silk or other pretty material:

Attachments

• DeckStorage1.jpg
    DeckStorage1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 245

Maru

In their original box. I have them in an Ikea pull cart I have between my workstation and my drafting table. With pretty much a little bit of everything of my daily life. Two TV remotes, sketchbooks, color wheel, boxes of incense, rulers, camera, password book for all my logins...

For $15, not too shabby!! Has wheels on two of it's legs so you can "lift" and pull.

Not going to put too much more stuff in it. Only have it for quick access and to sit my drink no matter where I'm sitting. I move a lot so it's nice to have.

My pup wanted to be in the picture too apparently

Attachments

• artstudio.jpg
    artstudio.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 258
  • dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 268

Maru

Mostly stacked in a shelf that I've squeezed on top of my bookcase (there's also a decorative satchel-thing

That's a LOT of decks! I only have a couple!

lilylilac

How do you ever find one when you're looking for it?
Do you memorize which color they're in, or have to open every bag?

Carojulie

Maru your dog is absolutely cute !

Herodotus

When not in use, I keep the majority of my collection in their original boxes, which are all kept together inside a shoebox that I have hidden on my bookshelf behind my Tolkien collection.

The shoebox is full, and I have a couple more decks left over that didn't fit. I selected the Wildwood and Shadowscapes to stay out of there, because they did not come in their own boxes, and I keep these in velvet drawstring bags. They also sit on my bookshelf, but are not hidden like the rest of the collection.

Finally, I always have at least one deck that just sits out for use, and it's usually switched out with one in the shoebox on a weekly basis.

Edited to add: my collection is significantly smaller than many others' on here. Of course, this should be made fairly obvious by the fact most of it can fit in a shoebox.

I also have an entire shelf dedicated to Tarot books, and if you asked me why I don't keep my collection behind these instead of my Tolkien books, I wouldn't be able to answer you.

Carojulie

Hi,

Most of my decks are kept in bags or pouch that I either made of bought for them (all different patterns, shapes and fabrics ; cotton, velvet, leather, felt, knitted or crocheted yarn, flap bag, drawstring bags, all sorts)

The decks that come in good sturdy boxes (ex: Wild Unknown) are kept in their original box, that more often than not I also place in a larger bag to protect the box.

Then, currently, my decks are stored into two cardboard boxes that are bigger than shoebox size.
The first one, easily accessible, has the decks that I love and use the most. The other box is put away beside other stuff on the bottom of my cupboard, and contains decks that I use less frequently, have not used in a while, or have more difficulty to bond with.
On a regular basis, I get this second box out to go through it and try to fish out a deck to rediscover it, or give it another go. It's cool because sometimes it feels like a have a totaly new deck, when I have not seen a deck for a while.

I also have a small wooden box that sits on my table or my nightstand, and is large enough for two or three decks in their pouch, plus a spreadcloth, incense, candle, crystals etc. Everything I need at the same place, well protected, and I keep in it the decks that I am currently working with. I rotate the decks on a regular basis, at least once or twice a month, often more. If I leave town for a few days, this small wooden box is all I take, unually.

And, lastly, I have a shoebox that is well stored behind a pile of jeans and shirts in my cupboard, and that contains all the tuckboxes from my decks, flattened out ; all the LWB and extra cards (the cards that bear the name of the deck and author and all) ; plus the few back-up decks that I have - decks that I love the most and that I felt I needed a security backup copy of, in case I lose a card or something. Plus, two or three decks that are incomplete but that I keep anyway.

That's it !
I hope to find a better storage solution than this cardboard box situation, but for the moment that is what I have. Idealy I would love to keep my decks in a chest of drawers, but I do not have one available for that. Tanga's pictures of her colorful decks on top of the shelves gave me inspiration though.... But I lack the space... I hope to upgrade my storage one day. We'll see.

VGimlet

When I'm not using them I keep them in the original boxes. A few favorites I take when I'm doing live readings are in bags.

I have much of my collection stored in my china hutch. The drawers are the perfect size for single tarot decks. The cupboard part of the hutch stores odd-shaped decks, or decks that came without a box; those are in bags. The glass fronted shelves store deck & book sets, single decks on top of those. I have some of the rest in the glass fronted credenza under the TV. That is getting full, so I will either find or have DH make two shorter glass-fronted cabinets to go on either side of the china hutch in the dining room. DH is a journeyman cabinetmaker, so he can do it - but hopefully I'll find some I like.

Once the china cabinet & small cabinets run out, I'm probably going to have to start using the book cases in our guest room, which I am gradually cleaning out except for my most favorite books.

When we move into DH's dad's house he has glass cabinets that store his rusty toy collection, which is going to DH's nephew, and there are cabinets in the guest bedroom for my late MIL's doll collection, which will go to DH's niece. So...you can guess where stuff is going there, LOL.