Going cold turkey

Awkward.turtle91

Have you ever tried asking your existing cards if you should get another deck? My current deck of cards rarely allowed me to buy a new deck (either very jealous, or very tuned in to my financial status). The one exception was when I needed a separate deck for reading time. Otherwise, every time I get tempted by decks that are way beyond my budget, it keeps screaming at me TEMPERANCE!

I love my deck. [emoji23]

Edit: Another bonus of asking your existing deck, is that when you get a new deck, it's like getting a new pet dog. Your two pet dogs will need to get along with one another while you're away at work etc so it's a good idea to make sure the newcomer have the approval of the oldies beforehand. Harmony is the key. (Just a quirck of mine)

Ooooooooh I like your idea!!
I've never considered my existing decks feelings towards other decks, mind you in a sense I might have because I tend to get vibes about which decks to place on my shelf near others and which want to be more on show.

So maybe I'll take this into consideration with the allowing my self six decks a year etc :)

This seems reasonable, considerate to me and my decks.

I love this forum for inspiration <3 you guys are fab <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awkward.turtle91

Well, I am choosing my decks very carefully(usually) and trying to give myself some time to cool off AND THEN to check if I still want it. Sometimes I know I need this or that deck for certain means(like shadow work or therapeutic work).

But still I am not jumping on any new deck, it seems I prefer the old ones.

And I think this after an year plus at AT forums I have a very reasonable amount of decks in comparison to some other members =P

I have 24, i don't think that's un reasonable all though I'm rather jealous of some peoples deck collections on here :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danieljuk

I think that's great Awkward Turtle about what you said about using your intuition more. GotH is totally right about finding divination in everything, it really broadens your experience!

Although I really love buying new tarot decks, it's not really as important as other things to spend more on in life. It's not an essential to live and so I think I could survive going cold turkey with it for a year. I wouldn't want to put such limits on myself unless I really didn't have the money to buy decks because it's bound to end in failure to "self-impose" it. But I want to cut down my deck buying a bit and I am going to buy less. Partially for financial reasons but also I have built up a collection over about 5 years, I need to use them all and experience them. Before I was just buying more and more and ignoring them!

I have already bought a deck in 2017! But I am just seeing what comes up and how to play it. But I do reward myself with decks, it's a treat rather than just buying them constantly!

It's nice to have choice of a few decks to use but then you have to work with them and use them! :)

willowy

Have you ever tried asking your existing cards if you should get another deck? My current deck of cards rarely allowed me to buy a new deck (either very jealous, or very tuned in to my financial status). The one exception was when I needed a separate deck for reading time. Otherwise, every time I get tempted by decks that are way beyond my budget, it keeps screaming at me TEMPERANCE!

I love my deck. [emoji23]

Edit: Another bonus of asking your existing deck, is that when you get a new deck, it's like getting a new pet dog. Your two pet dogs will need to get along with one another while you're away at work etc so it's a good idea to make sure the newcomer have the approval of the oldies beforehand. Harmony is the key. (Just a quirck of mine)

What a fantastic idea!I will try this next time before I buy one :)

Nica

I have stopped cold turkey. It was about 6 months of no tarot purchases. This year I caved though for the Distant Past and Starchild Tarot. I've had Starchild in mind for a while until this new tarot format came up for sale.

Right now my understanding is that I've got enough to work with at 300 decks. If I see something that adds to the variety, or that I am a loyal fan us (Baba Studio's work), I will likely endorse it.

I'd rather handle a deck from my friends collections now and see how it feels before purchasing a set.

It may very well be 6 more months before I purchase another deck.