Rainy Day Decks

Barleywine

I love rainy days because where I live, we don't get enough of them! Anna K. is a great choice because there's such an emphasis on weather in the cards. The rainy cards are rainy, the sunny cards are sunny, and the snow cards look really cold.

Interesting you should say this. Back on the Winter Solstice when I did my Wheel of the Year spread for 2017, I used the Anna K and it came out looking remarkably like an annual weather forecast for New England. Winter months were dreary Swords, Spring had fertile-looking Pentacles, Summer had yellow-dominated Wands and Cups and Autumn had some more somber Swords and Pentacles.

RavenOfSummer

(I'm also in a DMV county and experienced the bizarre weather! I got back from lunch with people talking about get away from the windows, we're under tornado watch, and I was ready to go home lol.)

I'm a cozy deck rainy day person too. I think Ceccoli and Alice are appropriate, and I imagine I'd like Dreaming Way if I owned it. I also bought Idiosyncradeck specifically for days like today because it looks so cozy, cheery and cute. I guess my criteria for a rainy day deck is whether it has tea in it, haha

Haha! Tea is perfect for a rainy day!

RavenOfSummer

The Wild Unknown popped into mind first. It's dark and misty but also comforting, and some of the ink work on the cards even reminds me of how they would draw rain in Peanuts strips.

On the other hand, I think a colorful watercolor deck like the Animal Wisdom deck would go well if the day was a bit too gloomy.

I could definitely see that, although I don't have either of these decks!

RavenOfSummer

I love rainy days because where I live, we don't get enough of them! Anna K. is a great choice because there's such an emphasis on weather in the cards. The rainy cards are rainy, the sunny cards are sunny, and the snow cards look really cold.

The Haindl has an autum-muddy feel to some of the cards... sombre colours and melancholic... and similar, but closer to nature, is the palette of the Secret Forest. Some of the cards look as if it had rained a short time ago.

Roots of Asia has mysterious shimmering cards like rain drops that catch some unearthly light.

If you want to combat the rain, I feel the Etruscan, Idiosyncradeck and Golden all do so but in different ways: the Etruscan tells you there will be hot and sunny days when you'll miss the rain - the Idiosyncra tells you that never mind, there's so much fun in life and hot cocoa and blue skies above the clouds, and the Golden tells you might wish to think about time and weather in larger circles! :)

I have a feeling that a Lisa Hunt tarot would be a wonderful choice... Ghosts and Spirits looks wonderfully rainy but I don't have it so I can't say...

I like these choices! I would looooove to have a Roots of Asia but sadly haven't been able to find one...but I love the watery feel it has from what I've seen of it.

RavenOfSummer

Interesting you should say this. Back on the Winter Solstice when I did my Wheel of the Year spread for 2017, I used the Anna K and it came out looking remarkably like an annual weather forecast for New England. Winter months were dreary Swords, Spring had fertile-looking Pentacles, Summer had yellow-dominated Wands and Cups and Autumn had some more somber Swords and Pentacles.

That is so interesting! I could see something like that happening with the Prisma Visions too since the suits are season-based.

Nemia

I like these choices! I would looooove to have a Roots of Asia but sadly haven't been able to find one...but I love the watery feel it has from what I've seen of it.

A bit OT but if you long for the Roots of ASia... I managed twice to find the German version on Amazon for a very reasonable price. Wurzeln Asiens Tarot is the German name. It's a matter of luck but it's worthwhile.

I swapped the first away but then regretted letting it go and found it a second time. Now I won't let it go EVER!

decan

I don't know if someone already mentioned it but the Smith-Waite centennial is "rainy" in my opinion, that is to say rather "grey".
Of course a few cards are more relevant, like the 3 of Swords or the Five of Cups, because darker. But the deck isn't really colored, and grey dominates (the backs as well naturally!).

euripides

Ciro's Gilded is lovely and bright, quite jewel-like, which I think is nice when the sky is grey.

What I'd really love for a rainy day is a deck portraying favorite books, and cups of tea, and knitting. Is there a deck like that?

Morwenna

What I'd really love for a rainy day is a deck portraying favorite books, and cups of tea, and knitting. Is there a deck like that?

I want one too! :D

I like the Wonderland on rainy days, possibly because the original Tenniel illustrations in my books are so dark and muddy-looking (bad repro, I suppose) and they feel rainy to me, so this deck (which is actually brighter than the illos in my books) suits well.

I hadn't thought about the RWS Centennial, but I see where that would work. I think Dore Bible might work too (depending on how spiritual I'm feeling at the time).

Citrin

Hudes Tarot feels like a rainy day to me. :) I love rain!