Book of Law Study Group 1.49

Grigori

Aiwass said:
49. Abrogate are all rituals, all ordeals, all words and signs. Ra-Hoor-Khuit hath taken his seat in the East at the Equinox of the Gods; and let Asar be with Isa, who also are one. But they are not of me. Let Asar be the adorant, Isa the sufferer; Hoor in his secret name and splendour is the Lord initiating.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group

cardlady22

I had an idea about the meaning of abrogate from the context of the verse, but reading through the range in my thesaurus is amusing:
abolish, repeal
quash
disavow (I'm hearing Mission Impossible theme music!)
countermand
destroy

Grigori

Abrogate is a funny word. In this line I read it as "redundant", though that may not be correct. I'm reading it to say the rituals, ordeals, words and signs are now redundant, or perhaps surpassed. I assume this is a reference to the old formula of Osiris and the GD system that is based on it. e.g. The Star Sapphire needed to be created to replace the Lesser Hexagram ritual, as the formula is now abrogate.

Ra-Hoor-Khuit taking his seat at the Equinox is I assume the dawn of the new Aeon?

Asar and Isa is interesting. I assumed they were deities in an old pantheon, that were being used in a new way, the same as with Horus, Nuit etc.. But a quick google can't find any reference to them that is not from thelemic sources. I wonder if these names refered to something that was around already, or are they debued by Aiwass?

Thelemapedia said:
Asar and Isa—Asar is Osiris, the “adorant” and Isa is the Muslim form of Jesus, the “sufferer” and a prophet (though not a messiah).
http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Thelema

Also
Asar (Osiris) and Isa (Jesus in Arabic; an anagram of Asi, “Isis
http://www.themagickalreview.org/essays/number/number04-I.php

Aeon418

similia said:
Abrogate is a funny word. In this line I read it as "redundant", though that may not be correct. I'm reading it to say the rituals, ordeals, words and signs are now redundant, or perhaps surpassed. I assume this is a reference to the old formula of Osiris and the GD system that is based on it. e.g. The Star Sapphire needed to be created to replace the Lesser Hexagram ritual, as the formula is now abrogate.
I see the abrogation as a call to start with a clean slate. That doesn't mean that existing stuff can't be used anymore. If it works, use it.

Note that Crowley re-issued the old Golden Dawn pent and hex rituals in Liber O without significant change. They still work just fine. ;)

Even the Formula of the Dying God, on which the Golden Dawn was based, isn't abrogate. In an essay called, The Secret Conference, Crowley spelled it out explicitly.
The formula of the dying God has not been abrogated; it has been absorbed into a more complete understanding
That formula was based on old ideas of the daily death and resurrection of the sun. But just because we now know that the sun doesn't actually die every day, it doesn't mean that the daily solar cycle ceases to exist. It's just been absorbed into a wider perspective. It no longer holds the great significance that it once did.

The Golden Dawn system is fine up until 5=6. (In fact nearly the whole Golden Dawn system is merely the Neophyte grade of A.'.A'.) But at the entrance into the R.R. et A.C., which is roughly Zelator in A.'.A.'., there has to be a change to reflect the New Aeon consciousness. The motif of the mystical death and resurrection is no longer valid spiritual currency.

The New Aeon does not recognize the mystical death because that would require you to be already alive. "You are asleep in the death that men call life." This state is symbolised by the dead Osiris. He represents the 4 elements, but not spirit. Unfortunately the 4 elements are those aspects of ourselves that we routinely identify as ourselves. When in actual fact our True Self is the Shin in the midst of IHVH - IHShVH. The great tradgedy and sorrow of the Osirian formula is now seen as nothing more than waking up from a bad dream. But most people never wake up until the moment of physical death when they "awake from the dream that men call life."
This is why the Great Work has been called the "quest to die while living."
2:49 I am unique & conqueror. I am not of the slaves that perish. Be they damned & dead! Amen. (This is of the 4: there is a fifth who is invisible, & therein am I as a babe in an egg.)
similia said:
Asar and Isa is interesting. I assumed they were deities in an old pantheon, that were being used in a new way, the same as with Horus, Nuit etc.. But a quick google can't find any reference to them that is not from thelemic sources. I wonder if these names refered to something that was around already, or are they debued by Aiwass?
Asar is Osiris. Isa is the Muslim name for Jesus.

Aeon418

Ra-Hoor-Khuit hath taken his seat in the East at the Equinox of the Gods;

If you're not familiar with the way in which a Golden Dawn temple functions this phrase may be quite obscure. But Crowley was very well versed in the ways of the Golden Dawn. So much so that the Golden Dawn's "symbol set" became his personal internal symbol set.
(It's the same principle behind the memorization of the correspondences. They form a bridge between the concious and subconscious mind.)

The Equinox of the Gods is a reference to the Golden Dawn's Equinox ceremony, where at 6 month intervals the officers within the temple rotated stations. (Think of a play where everyone changes roles with each other.)
In this case Aiwass used this symbolic construct to communicate to Crowley a very big change. This was a change of archetypes that human consciousness responds to.

The Hierophant in a Golden Dawn temple is traditionally Osiris. He represents the main archetype that humanity has responded to, and evolved through, for the last few thousand years. Ra-Hoor-Khuit taking the seat in the East represents a fundamental change in the archetype of divinity that humanity responds to.

Grigori

Thanks Aeon

paraphasing said:
and let Osiris be with Jesus, who also are one. But they are not of me. Let Osiris be the adorant, Jesus the sufferer; Hoor in his secret name and splendour is the Lord initiating.

I wonder about the use of the name Isa rather than Jesus. The website I found suggests it selected for being an anagram of Isis, but I notice that the name Jesus is used in chapter 3. Perhaps there is some numerological reasoning, or maybe using an anagram of Isis identifies Osiric "Jesus" as a development of the previous aeon of "Isis"?

Hoor in his secret name and splendour is the Lord initiating.

What is Hoor's secret name and splendour? I think immediately of Hadit, but can't really say why :|

Aeon418

similia said:
I wonder about the use of the name Isa rather than Jesus. The website I found suggests it selected for being an anagram of Isis,
It still can mean Isis. Isa spelt backwards is Asi, a name of Isis. She is nature. ;)
similia said:
but I notice that the name Jesus is used in chapter 3. Perhaps there is some numerological reasoning, or maybe using an anagram of Isis identifies Osiric "Jesus" as a development of the previous aeon of "Isis"?
In the initiatory structure the candidate is initially represented as Asar. He/she is the dead Osiris, the 4 elements. His/her first task is to explore, reorganise and balance these elements of self. But quite often this process is painful and disturbing. These are the ordeals of initiation that the candidate must suffer.

Let Asar be with Isa, who also are one.

So long as you insist on nailing yourself to the Cross of the Elements, you suffer.
similia said:
What is Hoor's secret name and splendour? I think immediately of Hadit, but can't really say why :|

Hoor is the new hierophant who replaces Osiris. He is the new "stand in" image for ones own HGA, who is the real secret name and splendour and the true Lord initiating.

Hadit is the root cause behind the HGA. Until you are totally identified with your true self, Hadit, you must work through his "projected image". That image is R.H.K. aka the HGA. That's why Hadit and R.H.K. are both symbolised by different forms of Horus.

Crowley says that the secret name is Hoori.
Spelt HUURI in Hebrew. Gematria value 227. This is the value of ZKR - "Remember"

With that word in mind think about the story of Isis and Osiris. Isis found all the scattered pieces of Osiris' body except one. His "member". ;)
This is why Crowley often refers to the HGA as the "spiritual phallus". It is a symbol of the inner source of life in both men and women. Because of incarnation we have forgotten who we really are. We need to remember. Or put another way, like Osiris in the story we need to be re-membered with the lost spiritual phallus, the HGA.
(It also weeds out the literal minded morons, who's eye of perception is trapped in Malkuth, who start hysterically screaming "Penis!!! Penis!!!")

But in the story the phallus of Osiris was lost when it was swallowed by the Oxyrynchus. In Egyptian hieroglyphs the same word means "corpse". And as we've already established, the corpse is the 4 elements. To find the "spiritual phallus", the letter Shin, you have to balance and order IHVH. Only then can it be transformed into IHShVH.

The temple must first be built before Adonai can dwell within. ;)

Aeon418

On the same theme, the Bible stories concerning Jesus' resurrection (re-erection ;)) are full of the same phallic symbolism.

For example, Matthew 28: 5-6

The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.

Luke 24: 5-6 In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!

You will never be able to look at the "good book" the same way again. :laugh:

Aeon418

This chapter from The Book of Lies should make sense now.
THE GUN-BARREL

Mighty and erect is this Will of mine, this Pyramid
of fire whose summit is lost in Heaven. Upon it
have I burned the corpse of my desires.
Mighty and erect is this φαλλός of my Will. The
seed thereof is That which I have borne within me
from Eternity; and it is lost within the Body of
Our Lady of the Stars.
I am not I; I am but an hollow tube to bring down
Fire from Heaven.
Mighty and marvellous is this Weakness, this
Heaven which draweth me into Her Womb, this
Dome which hideth, which absorbeth, Me.
This is The Night wherein I am lost, the Love
through which I am no longer I.

Aeon418

It's just occured to me that this is verse 49 - Yesod in Heh. The Phallus within the Goddess.