Abbey of Thelema - Small design

Aeon418

Soror Meral (Phyllis Sekler) serialised her biography of Jane Wolfe in her publication, In the Continuum. (Starting in vol.2 no.5)

Jane's Abbey of Thelema period is very interesting to read. Along with extracts from her diary, it describes how Jane initially struggled to adapt to life at the Abbey.

http://thelema.org/publications/itc.html

Walter

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law!

Hello Aeon 418,

Yes, I've given that much thought. Especially because what you said happened to me in the last group. Of course it's all a case of trial and error. The theory can be sound, but if practice is too much for everybody then problems are just waiting to happen. The good part of the previous group was that there was no discussion about the way to go, there was a clear structure and they were all a bunch of nice men and women.

Problems arose when putting theory into practice and after not too long a time there was a growing chance of becoming just the next bunch of hippies that were all agreeing together. We were going nowhere in the bad sense of the word.

In hindsight it's always easy to see what went wrong, so you won't make the same mistakes again. But: I didn't see at the time that I was dealing with people that wanted to do things while saying Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law!.
Of course that's my mistake: it's like a coach that can't see clear what kind of team he has and keeps telling himself that with enough attention and patience the potential will come out.

So: that's why I asked the people on this forum for their views (thank you for sharing them :) ). A place or a group isn't that hard to find/form, but - as you say - keeping it from becoming another hippie commune is another story.

Apart from a lot of other writings from Crowley I also read his piece about freedom and I know that the hardest discipline will bring the greatest freedom. It's as if you must know the discipline in a soccer game before you can show all your unique talents with the ball to the audience. If you manage that, then it's beautiful and useful.

I shall now read the Soror Meral story.

Love is the law, love under will.

Walter

ravenest

Walter said:
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law!

Hello Ravenest and Abrac,

I too have had a similar community as you, Ravenest, and just as with you it turned out to be a lot of taking and little giving. But I managed to keep that within acceptable boundaries and step by step we were actually getting somewhere. The point was: the place where the community was situated, was not my own and the moment the owner started to get other than Thelemic ideas it was soon over with the plans. So, I'm not concerned if it will work, because it will. But the starting point must be ideal. If you have to struggle to start or to get some things done from the beginning, than it will be a struggle until the end.
Yeah ... my place (the land) isnt mine as we dont believe in land 'ownership' but the whole community is set up for people to be free to explore their spirituality as they see it. So, legally, we had protection, we were fulfilling the ideals of the trust (which is a legal entity that 'ownes' the land).
It doesnt matter that the 'house' is now closed, as the facilities are still there, and like true things in the mysteries "seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you" ... (eventually)
Walter said:
And I know that a charismatic personality has to be at the head of all, without being distracted by external influences. Once I had close to no money but took the task upon me to organize a 200.000 dollar festival. And I did it :) So, it's all a question of thinking into being, the only catch is that you think the ideal situation into being. With above mentioned community we had an ideal place, enthusiastic people and a clear goal. But the only thing that wasn't thought into being was that the goal would stay untouched when somebody turned her back on Thelema.
All good ... until 'you' get an 'inner plain' contact and start instructing your neophytes to 'bend down and grasp their ankles ... etc " (as 418 would put it).
A similar thing happened in Oz years ago with the Fred Robinson commune - a v.intersting story! The dif was it was HIS wife that did the controlling.
Walter said:
So: next time I'll be in charge and no one else ;)

And if you have the correct level of training and evolution all will go well, thats the whole idea and role of 'The Abbot' in a Thelemic House. It aint democracy!
Walter said:
But most important: in the previous community we were studying the Houses of Thelema during the process. Next time the Houses will be pledged to before we begin. And maybe you have some suggestions of other troubles that may occur and I don't think of at the moment.
How much time do have? :laugh:
Walter said:
Every living being is a Thelemite and it's only a question of the right words or deeds to show that. And I make it my task to form those words and deeds and attract the people who are ready to join a pioneering group.

Love is the law, love under will.

Walter

Yeah ... be brave ... jump in. It's an experiment!

The profess house concept is a development of the idea of the OTO and that ... a big part of it ... is a SOCIAL experiment.

It's not that scary as a few think ... social experiment can be V FUN!

Ask anyone who went through the 60/70s.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Hi Walter.

Have you given much thought to the Discipline of the House? It's one of those touchy subjects that I've seen some ignorant wannabe Thelemites dodge by misquoting Liber AL 1:41. The word of Sin is Restriction. ;)

Despite all it's failings, Crowley's Abbey did get one thing right. It was run on similar lines to those found in monastic orders. The day to day running of the place was highly structured, with set times for specific activities. Meditation, group ritual, menial chores, recreation, study, etc.

Thats the part I LOVED! Our 'house' also served for a while as the national retreat centre and at times we functioned like that, I lOVED it. Someone would blow the conch for each station of the Sun and we'd go off and do Resh. All of a sudden I didnt have to keep an idea on the time, or watch the Sun, or worry about forgetting, At the end of the day either a meal would be cooked on the table for me or I'd have fun cooking with others in the kitchen for those that worked. This, for me is true community ... I LOVED it. And the 'restriction' of the daily muddle of want was elminated and ordered into a lifestyle of supported Will.
Aeon418 said:
To most people brought up in the Western consumer choice ethos it sounds bizarre that a doctrine that supposedly promotes individual freedom can be practiced in such a seemingly narrow and restrictive way. In the West we are raised to believe the lie that says more choice equals more freedom. But that's not quite the case at all. How can you "find yourself" if you're constantly surrounded by a million and one distractions, all begging for your attention. How can you find yourself if you're always wondering what to do next?
Ummm ... Aeon, that's the whole point of it! We NEED all these modern distractions! Dont you realise what would happen if everyone started finding themselves?

I had a job in Brisbane a few years back, got put up in big rich appartments AXP, 'fantastic' views of the city - crap!
My workmate loved it; "All the ligths and cars and traffic and buisiness keeps me entertained and I get bored otherwise." I late bet this guy $10 he couldnt be alone and stare at his own eyyes for 5 full watch minutes.
he came out the bathroom and gave me $10 and said "that was REALLY freaky man."
Aeon418 said:
The monastic-like regimen that Crowley adopted removed that obstacle in
one fell swoop. If you already know what you are doing next, you don't have to waste time and energy worrying about it. You can redirect that energy towards self-discovery.
Little self indulgences can end up becoming a big distraction from the path. If that's the case, give them their own time and place, and they instantly cease to be a problem.

Without the rule of discipline any Thelemic Abbey is liable to degenerate into nothing more than a hippie commune where people idly sit around smoking pot and talking complete and utter s**t.

Ravenest might sign up though. :laugh:

AAAA HHEMMMM! (yep ... its getting worse!)
What actually happened, Aeon , mate , was it was already a hippy commune when I arrived. magical buisness (and nowdays official OTO Profess Houses do NOT condone or allow any illeagle drugs - reason for dismissal and expulsion!) After the implimentation of an OTO group on the 'hippy commune' only a few could handle the discipline.

the dynamic was actually the reverse of the degeneration you suggest - but then we INTRODUCED the rule of discipline into a mini society that was lacking one ... and they didnt like it ... still dont actually ... quiet wierd as it is LESSON ! in the OTO and they all got it and agreed with it.

ravenest

Just another note on 'hippy communes' so people dont think they are are all like Aeon describes above.

Some are very together and still running quiet well. Much better than the crap that went on in Crowley's miserable 'abbey' ... what a mess!

Can you imagine what is required to get the people together, (and hold them together through all sorts of human 'dynamics'). Find the land, buy it, work out a system and design for land usage and residence, deal with the council and zoning, set up a legal corporation, grow food while not using harmnfulll pollutants, fertilizers or incesticides, bring up a family, deal with cultural discrimination and, and, and, .....

Its easy to laugh and mock from the sidelines. Seriously guys, some of these dudes are VERY together on that level and achieve a LOT more than someone scribbling out gemmatria on pieces of paper all day long ;) and holding down an office job they hate and living in a superstressed out city ...
but it takes all types to make life diverse and interesting.

Grigori

I've been thinking a bit during the week about Thelemic communities, in response to these threads and also reading about some from history. It's interesting to view them as little models of a Thelemic society, and the ways to success or failure of a society living by Thelemic principles. I wonder also how much of the detail is due to it being a magickal society as well as a Thelemic one.

Is it the Thelemic model that is difficult to implement in the real world, or is it magicians that are difficult to live with? Or is Thelema just easier to implement in solitude? Even without the complexities of having multiple ideologies and environmental concerns it seems extremely difficult. Or maybe we only hear about the spectacular failures and all the successful groups remain silent. :shhh:

Is it complicated by different levels of initiation. Assuming that a community of Thelemites all in touch with their true will would be living in blissful contentment, what about children, or neophytes. Who sets the rules for the folks not yet in touch with their Will?

nicky

similia said:
Is it complicated by different levels of initiation. Assuming that a community of Thelemites all in touch with their true will would be living in blissful contentment, what about children, or neophytes. Who sets the rules for the folks not yet in touch with their Will?

A thought: children ARE pure will until they are 'socialized'

Aeon418

nicky said:
True. But children who aren't socialized usually end up behind bars when they reach adult status. Instant gratification of desires may be "natural" in children, but that same tendency left unchecked in adults is a recipe for disaster.

Most adults are barely beyond the level of children. It explains why the modern myth of "you can have it all" is so appealing to so many people.

Is it any wonder we now have a generation of kids who "know their rights", but refuse to acknowledge any kind of personal responsibility.

But socialization is a two-edged sword. The same process that instills us with a measure of self-control, can also end up stiffling the "inner child". But without preliminary discipline the magical meaning of Chastity can never be fully grasped, let alone practiced.

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/littleessays/chastity.html

I'm sure even Ravenest will agree with me on this one, knowing that an understanding of Chastity is the province of the VII degree and not before. Hence the need for training and discipline in the early stages.

Grigori

Nicky said:

Aeon418 said:
True. But children who aren't socialized usually end up behind bars when they reach adult status. Instant gratification of desires may be "natural" in children, but that same tendency left unchecked in adults is a recipe for disaster.

Are we arguing that children come into the world in touch with their true Will, or only that children are primarily motivated by a lesser will/want, without the learnt/false direction of society?

By trying to relearn our Will, are we trying to understand something we've not yet understood, or relearn something that was "taught" out of us?

Aeon418

Dogs bark. Fish swim. Birds fly. Children behave like children.

We come into this world with True Will. But, like animals, we are not consciously aware of the Will. Nor are our channels of expression complex or developed enough to express the will in any but the simplest ways. We merely react to sensory input in accordance with the Will. The development of increasing levels of conscious awareness denotes our maturation into adult-hood. But unfortunately the "social conditioning" we receive along the way is based on the assumption that we are blank slates. Empty machines that need to be programmed. This really messes us up big time and creates a lot of internal conflict.

The fully realized adult is different from a child. Not merely a passive player that indiscriminantly absorbs and reacts to sensory input. But an active and fully conscious participant in the process, and a pure channel for the Will. Love under Will.

But Will can't be found if you are pulled in a million different directions by your desires and if you are in conflict with yourself due to social programming. This is why self-discipline and self-knowledge are the first steps on the path.