The princesses as significators?

erase

As we know the four Princesses being the earth subelement of theit suits are different from the rest of the court members. They don't rule 30 degree of the zodiacal year, instead they and their aces rule quadrants of space.

My question is what does this rulership of space mean? For the rest of the court cards it's easy to relate the birth day of one person to one court card (eg people who are borned between July 12 to August 11 are related to the Pince of Wands), but what about the Princesses?

In Lon Milo DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" Table 15 on page 209, he showed that Princess of Wands as the throne of the Ace of Wands rules the Cancer, Leo and Virgo quadrant above the north pole, does this mean if someone's sign is one of these then they are also related to the Princess of Wands? Therefore one person has 2 court cards as his/her significator?

If anyone can answer this to me it will be much appriciated.

OperaPhantom u_u

Choosing significators according to solar birth sign is a good option to do in some spreads for locate the querent or the person signified in to a certain context, but court cards as significators of people related with the question itself in readings – at least in my experience – show the role or attitude toward the subject of the question and not always the nature of their solar sign. Solar sign birth is only one aspect of an astrological chart composed of all the astrological archetypes. Instead I would suggest ponder over the quality of the temperament of the individual in question, as being of water, fire, air or earth element. Then, generally speaking, Kings (i.e. Knights in Thoth Tarot and others) and Queens are older people, while Princes and Princesses are younger people.

Concerning timing of events I use the Princesses this way:

Princess of Wands: Spring
Princess of Cups: Summer
Princess of Swords: Fall
Princess of Disks: Winter

This may vary from one author to other, or systems, as the elemental attribution to each quarter equally does. Indeed, the sun passes over three signs in each of these intervals.

ravenest

erase said:
As we know the four Princesses being the earth subelement of theit suits are different from the rest of the court members. They don't rule 30 degree of the zodiacal year, instead they and their aces rule quadrants of space.

My question is what does this rulership of space mean?

Hi erase, I am assuming you got that info via DuQuttee / Crowley / G.D. ...perhaps even Wang? They are relating this placement to a system where the G.D. projected the Tree of Life 'onto' space (visualised as on the inside of a sphere) using Tarot cards. Actually ALL the Court Cards, in this scheme rule sections of space, but the ecliptic is ruled by the other Courts leaving 4, the Princesses, behind. These are considered to link the 'outer' energy into the Aces which 'ground' the four elemental energies into Earth.

It's a complex and rather unusual system and not many people seem to know of it's benefets as specific to Tarot, although the tarot symbols can be used to help explain the GD's Qabalistic ideas. I dont think it is a good system to understand the attributes of Aces and Princesses in 'cosmic geography' and it probably wasnt meant to, it was meant, I believe, to demonstarte Qabalistic concepts. Not many seem to have had a clear idea of what it means and muddled the Planes. G.D. speaks of the Celestial Pole, the Pole of the Universe, the Pole of the Ecliptic, Crowley just says North Pole (smart move ;) ) Wang says the "magnetic poles of the earth" (Not only changed it but included the other South Magnetic Pole as well! (Qabalistic Tarot - Robert Wang. p.50.)
erase said:
For the rest of the court cards it's easy to relate the birth day of one person to one court card (eg people who are borned between July 12 to August 11 are related to the Pince of Wands), but what about the Princesses?
I'd take Operaphantoms advice. Sometimes I go astrological sometimes intuitive or other things when either selecting a significator, or recognising ones appearance in a reading. I tend to use the other principles guiding this and the use of the obscure GD correspondence to the north Pole wont help much (Unless its a person from Iceland, in my system she would Princess of Wands ;) )

erase said:
In Lon Milo DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" Table 15 on page 209, he showed that Princess of Wands as the throne of the Ace of Wands rules the Cancer, Leo and Virgo quadrant above the north pole, does this mean if someone's sign is one of these then they are also related to the Princess of Wands? Therefore one person has 2 court cards as his/her significator?
Sure, why not ... as long as you have some type of sensible justification of it.

You might find this interesting;

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53665&highlight=Aces+princess+thrones

erase

Thank you for your opinions and advices Operaphantom and Ravenest~~

I thought the north pole means the north magnetic pole of earth....therefore the confusion. Looks like I need to do more research on this. I know it's impossible to understand the tarot 100%, that's why I like it so much.

Since the Princesses are specially linked to their Aces, when a Princess and her Ace turn up together in a reading is there any significance of this? How do I interpretate?

OperaPhantom u_u

erase said:
Since the Princesses are specially linked to their Aces, when a Princess and her Ace turn up together in a reading is there any significance of this? How do I interpretate?

In enochian chess, the four aces are the kings and the princesses are the rocks, both pieces of great importance in the late game, since you have fewer pieces in the path of the rock making thus the most powerful in the board (the queen moves differently than in IDE chess) and you must move the king to a certain square to win or to prevent check mate. For me, Princesses with their aces appearing in one reading foretells issues that can be of very great importance in the far, or not so far, future. Also, a person, perhaps a youngster or a young lady, placed in the right environment or situation to make her/him grow in certain way.

Grigori

I've also seen the Princesses linked to areas of land, quarters of the globe. So one for the America's, one for Africa etc.. Though I forget which was which :| Maybe you could use them based on nationality, or as significator in questions about travel/moving.

ravenest

I work it with latitudinal opposites (unlike Crowey who rotates the order of elements around the globe in their tarot 'order')

Roughly;
FIRE / WANDS
Ace – From the South Pole up to Enderby Island, Queen Maud Land.
Knight – Africa, Madagascar, Morocco to Saudi Arabia.
Prince – From Portugal to Iran, Kazakhstan to West Russia to U.K.
Princess – Iceland, east through Norway, Finland, Sweden to N.W. Russia to North Pole.

AIR / SWORDS
Ace – From South Pole to Weddell Sea, Antarctic Peninsula, Elsworthland.
Knight – South America.
Queen- Central America.
Prince – USA and Southern Canada.
Princess – North Canadian islands, Greenland to the North Pole.

WATER / CUPS
Ace – South Pole to Marie Byrd Land, Admunsen Sea, Edward VII Land, Ross Sea, Ross Ice Shelf, Victoria Land.
Knight – South Pacific Ocean, New Zealand to Pitcairn Is.
Queen- Central Pacific. New Caledonia, Polynesia, Hawaii, Solomon Is. Marianas Is. Micronesia, etc.
Prince – North of Marianas Is. Through Sea of Okhotsk, Kamchatka Peninsula, Aleutian Is. North Pacific.
Princess – N.E. tip of Russia, Bearing Straights, Alaska, through to the Artic Ocean and the North Pole.

EARTH / DISCS
Ace – South Pole to Wilkes Land, Queen Mary Land, American Highland.
Knights – Australia
Queen - New Guinea, Philippines, Taiwan. West through Vietnam, S.E. Asia, Burma, India. Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan to Iran.
Prince – China, Japan, Mongolia, South Central and Eastern Russia, Korea.
Princess – Central North Russia to North Pole.

[Note; in this system Aces still 'sit' on Princess 'thrones' but through and linking both Poles, unlike the GD / AC version where they are both over the North Pole.

for further clarity; this is a scheme for placing TAROT CARDS on the sphere of the EARTH using Tarot Cards - the GD system is for placing the Tree of Life on a a varient Celestial Sphere using tarot Cards. ]

ravenest

erase said:
Thank you for your opinions and advices Operaphantom and Ravenest~~

I thought the north pole means the north magnetic pole of earth....therefore the confusion. Looks like I need to do more research on this. I know it's impossible to understand the tarot 100%, that's why I like it so much.

With difficulty ... in this respect. Because, as I said earlier, this scheme seems to be describing qabalah via tarot cards and I dont think it is a good way to understand tarot cards in themselves. Actually its not even a good way to describe qabbalah it is about projecting the Tree of Life onto a Sphere. To further complicate this dynamic by introducing it into a tarot reading, well ....

But we can glean something from it; The Ace is the root of the energy of a suit or element and the princess, in a way, the final destination or manifestation of that energy. If they are the same suit I suppose one could see THAT link ... I guess one could make a link even if they are
different suits? But we dont need that complex GD speherical system to realise that relationship.

But beware of adding apples to oranges. I dont think this system of attributing the QABBALAH will really help you to read Tarot ... unless you are so familiar with all the other dynamics that you are desperate for a new method or interpretation ;)

ravenest

erase said:
I thought the north pole means the north magnetic pole of earth....therefore the confusion. Looks like I need to do more research on this.

Most dont even know they are confused ... so you have a head start :laugh: I believe some of the confusion is because Crowley just refers to 'The North Pole', and most will assume the same you did, however the GD source refers to; The Pole of the Ecliptic, The Pole of the Heavens, the Pole of the Universe ... oh, much clearer now :rolleyes:

It's even more confusing than that. This GD system doesnt even use the same Celestial Pole as most other systems use.

The Solar System is basically a plane or disc. The axis of the Earth is tilted 23 degrees to this disc. A normal astro map will show the Celestial Pole as an extension of the Earth's (rotational) Pole and the Celestial Equator is an extension of the Terrestrial Equator. Hence, the ecliptic (the plane of the Solar System and the apparent paths of the planets as viewed from Earth) now appears tilted at 23 degrees. But because the Earth is rotating the ecliptic line, on a celestial map, will appear to wave up and down across the celestial Equator (which is a projection of earth's Equator).

The GD map and system uses the 'Pole of the Ecliptic' (or the pole of the Sun extended into Space) This makes (on the GD celestial map) the celestial equator and the Ecliptic coincide. A normal celestial equator would snake up and down on this map the way the ecliptic would on a normal one.

Are you sure you want to incorporate this system into your readings?