Best Tarot Books

callistoluna

Libra8ca said:
"Tarot and the Tree of Life" by Isabel Kliegman is a must-have in my opinion.

This is a great book and I think it should be on the Top Ten list too:)

Libra8ca said:
It really does a great job of analyzing the minor arcana cards. It's based on the RWS system. It also gives a brief overview of the Kabbalah and how it applies to the minor aracana..

This is the only reason why I wouldn't recommend it as a great all round tarot book - it focuses only on the minor arcana and it has strong ties to the kabbalah. Other than that, it is strongly recommended read. I constantly read and reread this one.

WonderGuy

hey gregory, can you go into detail about your statement?
"I can't stand the line Joan Bunning takes in her books"
i just ordered it, yikes! lol!
thanks,
Cy
:)

gregory

OK....

It is proscriptive; I find it's too much what you have to do and what things absolutely DO mean - "this card in this position means this" - no chance for you to feel what it means for yourself. And a few others here have said that once they start reading the cards more, they find it really hard to get it out of their heads. I prefer something that teaches you how, rather than TELLS you how, if that makes sense. That helps you to become the best you can be, not to become a Bunning clone. There is a very good post here about it by Sulis and another here. She says it all better than me - and has far more experience as a reader.

And you don't have to hate it just because I do. :)

WonderGuy

thanks!....i only care 'cause you have more posts (many more) than i do. lol!
Cy

gregory

I'm very deaf.

Seriously. :D

I like gabbing away here, because I always hear what is said to me. It's so much easier than nattering IRL ! I never have to ask you to repeat what you said..... I don't say a whole lot that is actually useful. Trust me. Ask the mods. I have a few thousand more posts squirrelled away somewhere for being off topic.... :| (and I'm not complaining; I think they go easy on me !)

(and this is OT, but I felt it worth saying !)

And I stick with 21 Ways and Ricklef as my top suggestions, anyway.

metal_romantic

WonderGuy said:
hey gregory, can you go into detail about your statement?
"I can't stand the line Joan Bunning takes in her books"
i just ordered it, yikes! lol!
thanks,
Cy

Don't be too worried, some of us like it and find it valuable, so you may too. It's the same with anything- others may love it and you dislike it, or others may hate it but you really enjoy it. People have different ways of learning and different tastes.

gregory

Quite. As I did admit... :D

BodhiSeed

I'll second the books already mentioned, both "21 Ways" and "Tarot Tells the Tale", and add Paul Quinn's book "Tarot for Life:"
http://www.thespiritedlife.com/?page_id=25
Scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a link that lets you have a peek at some of the book.

Manda

I have hundreds of books about tarot. It's the danger of being a voracious reader and completely, hopelessly addicted to tarot. Despite the very hokey name, I feel A Magical Course in Tarot: Reading the Cards in a Whole New Way by Michelle Morgan is a delightful book that gives just enough "book meaning" for a solid base while teaching one many techniques to actually read the cards. The magic referred to in the title is the magic of learning to trust one's intuition and coming to know the tarot, which is not quite the same as memorizing 78 (or156) meanings, not bats'-wing-and-eye-of-newt-full-moon-fever kind of magic.

I wouldn't kick any of the other books mentioned off my bedside table, either, 21 Ways and Tarot Tells the Tale being particular favorites. I am currently reading Tarot and the Tree of Life, and I am enjoying it far more than I have enjoyed any other books concerning Kabbalah.

For what it's worth :thumbsup:

gregory

OT - but for Kabbalah - Chicken Qabala (Duquette) is THE way to go. Enjoyable does not begin.... :D