Thoth Deck Printing History

RLG

Dwtw

I've compiled a history of the different printings of the Crowley/Harris Thoth tarot that I think will be of interest to AT'ers. In the future I expect to revise this essay, so I'm hoping the members here will look this over and provide some feedback on incorrect or missing information. I have used some scans found on these threads, so if anyone objects please let me know, (but obviously my purpose is informative, not commercial).

The Aeclectic forum has provided a lot of helpful links, anecdotes and images, among the variety of information online about this deck. My role has been to compile all the scattered findings into a coherent narrative, so that those who are interested in the Thoth Tarot deck can have all the info and images in one place.

Litlluw
RLG

Edit; This article is no longer available online. Thanks to all those who helped with information or pictures.

Teheuti

RLG -

Thank you so much for doing this. What a great job and a fabulous resource!! Your attention to detail is so helpful.

I do have one addition. There was a 2nd calendar published in 1993. It features the Lovers on the cover plus:
Ace of Disks
Fool
Queen of Wands
Aeon
8 of Swords
Lovers
5 of Wands
7 of Wands
Queen of Swords
Ace of Swords
6 of Wands
Art
plus "Explanatory texts" from Tarot - Mirror of the Soul by Gerd Ziegler.

The quality of the reproductions is fabulous and so is the ability to really study the details of the cards. It's really too bad they didn't continue the project.

If my memory serves me the images are close in size to Harris' original art.

Mary

gregory

Crumbs. I am now VERY confused about the order of the three white boxes - or were they all pretty much at the same time (Mine is the one where Llewellyn's name does not appear ANYWHERE.)

But what a wonderful resource ! Thanks.

RLG

Teheuti said:
RLG -

Thank you so much for doing this. What a great job and a fabulous resource!! Your attention to detail is so helpful.

I do have one addition. There was a 2nd calendar published in 1993...
If my memory serves me the images are close in size to Harris' original art.

Mary

Wonderful Mary, that's just the kind of extra info that will be very helpful :)
Do you have an image of the cover and/or an ISBN?
I'd be glad to put this into version 2.

Teheuti

I'll try and get you a picture in the next couple of days.

RLG

gregory said:
Crumbs. I am now VERY confused about the order of the three white boxes - or were they all pretty much at the same time (Mine is the one where Llewellyn's name does not appear ANYWHERE.)

But what a wonderful resource ! Thanks.

Hmm... I haven't come across any images of boxes with no reference to Llewellyn at all, (except the Weiser version). That would seem to predate the other three, maybe? If you have an image of it, that would be great.

and here I was hoping to reduce confusion. LOL

gregory

It IS the Weiser one - which I had always understood to have been the FIRST (after the Sangreal) - but now seems not to be.... (for the first time in my experience someone here said it wasn't the other day and I wasn't entirely convinced.) Sorry to have been unclear....

I haven't exactly read AL 90+ pages yet !

Teheuti

RLG -

I suggest writing the Warburg and send them a copy of your printing history. Ask them for any information about the condition of the paintings, how they are kept - maybe a photo of the portfolios that contain(ed) them. It would be a great addition and I'm sure they would be glad to get a copy of your paper for the library.

You might want to add a comment on the OTO copyright (if its not in there already). A little of this information can be found at: http://oto-usa.org/history.html and probably other places on the web.

Mary

RLG

Thanks for the suggestions Mary :)

Bernice

I appear to have the 'first colour printing' 1986 Swiss deck, with some oddities:

BOX: It's exactly as described in the pdf for this first printing, BUT there is a shallow cutout for opening the tuck.
.............The ISBN is: 3-905021-25-0. (my bold)

CARDS: The printing errors on the three cards, Hebrew/Astro glyps switched; Moon - Universe - Magus:
.............Yes, exactly as described, BUT both Magus cards have the error, and they are both named The Magus.

LWB: Exactly as described in the pdf.

Bee :)