Sabian Symbols Study Group: Aries Degree 17 - #17

purple_scorp

tink27 said:
I can't help with purple_scorps's picture here think that 'the world we see is the world we are. Or, how about 'missing your mark in life'. Going against your own 'nature'.........<snip>........I can't help feeling that these women were imaginative and sensitive children, who were either told they were 'stupid'......because they loved the arts, hugged the trees, and just loved life! Or maybe they were criticized for their abilities, especiallly when compared with a brother or sister or the other kids in their class. Unable to rise above the hurdles and frustrations, they shut down, and went through the motions of having 'a good life'.
Hi tink,

I've got to say that I really like the image that I selected for this card/symbol. It is from a painting (sorry, don't remember the artist) and to me, it captures a bond so deep, that no words need be spoken to convey a message between the sisters. Being spinsters, they eat, sleep, breathe, do everything together. They probably even finish each other's sentences. Like a nun, they have committed their lives but not to God, to each other.

The sisters here, are pictured, stern, and stony-like. They look like they have had a very morale life. They look as if a smile may never cross their lips but, if you look closer at the sister at the back, you can see the sides of her lip curl which potentially could form that smile. When I see this image, I think of that movie Ladies in Lavender. The sister in the back reminds me of the role that Judi Dench played in that movie. She was trying to follow the footsteps of her older, more stern sister, but ended up being quite playful and fun.

I don't get the sense that these ladies have missed out on life.....I feel that they would be strong-community, church-going, honest and hard-working women. I do wonder what kept them from other loving relationships. Was it that they made vows to their men who went off to war, never to love again? Or is it that they are inhibited and unwilling to extend themsElves beyond their immediate family? I don't know. But, I'm sure each of them has a wonderful tale to share about their journey.

with love
purple_scorp

tink27

Wow purple_scorp, I feel like the hanged man right now, turned totally upside down! You've forced me to dip deep down into myself to understand and rehash my initial thought and ideas.

[Quote = purple_scorp] I do wonder what kept them from other loving relationships. Was it that they made vows to their men who went off to war, never to love again? Or is it that they are inhibited and unwilling to extend themsElves beyond their immediate family? I don't know. But, I'm sure each of them has a wonderful tale to share about their journey.[/Quote]

First, I never heard of this movie Ladies in Lavender. Definitely on my list to watch as the days here get cooler.

As far as your question, I had one thought come to mind. What if, they were waiting for the perfect lover.....idealizing a dream....or what we think and imagine what we want....dreams can get out of hand and when they do, nothing happens!!!, We become like the spinsters here, daydreaming for the perfect One to come.

Ohh I just thought of something. These woman probably wouldn't tolerate pettiness in themselves or in others. Oh boy! I can just picture myself in with them now, they'd be pointing a finger my way, and telling me a thing or two!!

Another thought! What if this is a quiet woman who is happiest being with herself! Oh I'm sure she loves people, and probably very interesting and knowlegeable with a variety of ideas and topics...and a very positive outlook on life. But what if her opinions are formed when she spends time musing on her own? Many people would look at this solitude as a lonely spinster.

And...what if what holds this woman back from relationships is that she's afraid she'll never meet someone who will appreciate and accept her particular lifestlyle??? Hmm hangedman still thinking!!!!

tink :love:

purple_scorp

tink27 said:
Wow purple_scorp, I feel like the hanged man right now, turned totally upside down! You've forced me to dip deep down into myself to understand and rehash my initial thought and ideas.
You know I've always thought of the hanged man as being someone who is so happy/sure of themsElves that they are proud to hang upside down and show their stuff from the tree! So, if that cap fits.....wear it, tinkers.

tink27 said:
First, I never heard of this movie Ladies in Lavender. Definitely on my list to watch as the days here get cooler.
Hmm, well you're just going to be coming out with square eyes if you start watching all of these movies you keep talking about, lol. If you love Judy Dench like I do, you will definitely enjoy this movie. Actually, I'd be interested to discuss this card again, once you've watched that movie, because I'm sure it will put yet another perspective on this symbol for you.

tink27 said:
As far as your question, I had one thought come to mind. What if, they were waiting for the perfect lover.....idealizing a dream....or what we think and imagine what we want....dreams can get out of hand and when they do, nothing happens!!!, We become like the spinsters here, daydreaming for the perfect One to come.
Oh boy, this hit home with me....glass-bottomed boy for sure! He was constantly searching for Ms Right. Sorry, but I want to live, not wait around for something to happen.

tink27 said:
And...what if what holds this woman back from relationships is that she's afraid she'll never meet someone who will appreciate and accept her particular lifestlyle??? Hmm hangedman still thinking!!!!

Again, I don't know that these two women share absolute identical ideals and dreams. What if only one of them wanted that lifestyle, and the other felt she would be betraying her to seek another????

with love
purple_scorp

tink27

This morning as I read all these wonderful posts, an enormous thunderstorm passed through and through me off the net!

I'm a work and with very little time to chat but there was so much I wanted to share and say!

purple_scorp said:
Hmm, well you're just going to be coming out with square eyes if you start watching all of these movies you keep talking about, lol. If you love Judy Dench like I do, you will definitely enjoy this movie. Actually, I'd be interested to discuss this card again, once you've watched that movie, because I'm sure it will put yet another perspective on this symbol for you.

Oh I hope not square eyes...I'm looking for the round, oval kind and wide opened!! I will watch this movie soon, you've intrigued me to see this symbol from a different perspective......it's like your thoughts, your images and the thunderstorm this morning is shaking things up!

Thank you!

tink
:love:

I

mooncat2

:) Well, it's a lovely spring morning so no thunderstorms :D but I must say the brownies are jumping around all over the place.

So much to ponder on ..........going to take a while to get my thoughts in order. My first feeling, and I'm learning to be aware of the feelings each symbol brings forth, is one of almost anger.

There is much reflection here about who these two might be but we actually don't know. Would sound so much nicer if "Rose and Violet sitting..........".

Aries.......the self........the I am.

I cannot imagine anybody, if asked the question "Who are you" answering "I am a prim spinster"

It's an external judgement.........labelling and stereotyping.

mooncat2

I cannot imagine anybody, if asked the question "Who are you" answering "I am a prim spinster"
Have discovered that there was a time when a woman would have happily answered this way.............minus the prim perhaps.

Seeking the source of spinster I found the suffix 'ster' was used to describe woman's professions..........thus a woman who spins.( a nice link to our weaving theme)

Spinning was a task usually undertaken by younger women and 'I am a spinster ' was a statement that could be made with pride. It showed the world you had the ability and skill to draw on Mother Nature's gifts, the fleece of animals and the fibres of plants , and spin them into a material form that provided the yarn for the weaving. The youth of the spinners meant they were not yet married and so the word also became associated with unmarried women .
With industrialisation and the loss of cottage industry the true meaning of the word was lost and we’re left with its rather sad and demeaning remnants.

The word as we perceive it doesn’t express it’s creative life force.........what this symbol appears to all about.
I can't help feeling that these women were imaginative and sensitive children, who were either told they were 'stupid'......because they loved the arts, hugged the trees, and just loved life! Or maybe they were criticized for their abilities, especially when compared with a brother or sister or the other kids in their class. Unable to rise above the hurdles and frustrations, they shut down, and went through the motions of having 'a good life'.
:D:D Absolutely!!!!!

purple_scorp.........the more I look at your image the more I like it. It is so strong.........the word long-suffering came to mind.........these two are like rocks that will endure and survive.

I have many thoughts on this symbol but no more time today.

Attachments

• SC- Imprisoned.JPG
    SC- Imprisoned.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 190

tink27

mooncat2 said:
Have discovered that there was a time when a woman would have happily answered this way.............minus the prim perhaps.

Seeking the source of spinster I found the suffix 'ster' was used to describe woman's professions..........thus a woman who spins.( a nice link to our weaving theme)

Spinning was a task usually undertaken by younger women and 'I am a spinster ' was a statement that could be made with pride. It showed the world you had the ability and skill to draw on Mother Nature's gifts, the fleece of animals and the fibres of plants , and spin them into a material form that provided the yarn for the weaving. The youth of the spinners meant they were not yet married and so the word also became associated with unmarried women .
With industrialisation and the loss of cottage industry the true meaning of the word was lost and we’re left with its rather sad and demeaning remnants.

The word as we perceive it doesn’t express it’s creative life force.........what this symbol appears to all about.

:D:D Absolutely!!!!!

purple_scorp.........the more I look at your image the more I like it. It is so strong.........the word long-suffering came to mind.........these two are like rocks that will endure and survive.

I have many thoughts on this symbol but no more time today.

Ohh mooncat2, what an awesome image.....

A pair of shoes, two cocker-spaniels, a chain link and a collectors cup made of roses. I'm not sure of the white things in front of the cup.

Goodness! Our habits of perception certainly do take many forms don't they? Subconsciously we categorize everything that meets our eye! I just did it, didn't I. And in doing it this way, I've failed to see its full potential. If we hold onto knowledge it's no longer a tool....it becomes our prision. Viewing today through the memories of yesterday.

mooncat2 said:

An image that floated into my awareness of your description of these rocks is the stonehenge in England. A powerful 'living reality' of inherited past images.

Wow!!

Now I see Aries 18 much clearer!!

mooncat2

first posted by tink27
Goodness! Our habits of perception certainly do take many forms don't they? Subconsciously we categorize everything that meets our eye!
Its so hard, isn't it. I'm questioning every thought I have........seeking the source . :D

Some more thoughts:

Two figures that symbolise the passive/receptive energy of earth and water................the feminine.

Two figures side by side..........parallel. I wonder if one is a reflection of the other..........or a result.

When mankind's spirituality was closely entwined with nature and a part of everyday living , it's foundation was the Great Mother , the feminine. As representative of the creative feminine force women were honoured and respected for their role in society. Not only as wives and mothers .........in ancient Britain the women fought in battle alongside the men..........the great oracles and priestesses , healers and craftswomen.............they were connected to their 'creative, intuitive energies'

With the emergence of a patriachal religion which became over time stronger and more dominant the Goddess/Mother slipped into obscurity and running parallel to this we see the creative life force of women slipping away until the world perceives and judges them on the criteria of whether or not they are married.

When I think of the two spinsters I picture them as Victorian/Edwardian which was the era when this attitude reached its peak of madness........imprisoned in their tea cup.........restrained and restricted by hats, gloves, a dozen petticoats and a tightly laced corset..........bound by extreme social expectations.

Its not two spinsters I see but two of the feminine...........the spiritual and the material ...............rendered mute but.....

the word long-suffering came to mind.........these two are like rocks that will endure and survive.

An image that floated into my awareness of your description of these rocks is the stonehenge in England. A powerful 'living reality' of inherited past images.

One can only hope so . :)

I've found it interesting to google a little on weaving and discovering the important part it still plays in many cultures.

www.anthro.fsu.edu/wovenvoices/precolumbian/cosmo.html

purple_scorp

Two shoes will always be together. Unless you only have one foot, most people wear two shoes. They are inseparable. Each may suffer a different type of wear and tear, depending on your walking pattern but one will never be discarded without the other.

tink, the white things in front of the tea cup are the tea cup handle, I think.

with love
purple_scorp

tink27

purple_scorp said:
Two shoes will always be together. Unless you only have one foot, most people wear two shoes. They are inseparable. Each may suffer a different type of wear and tear, depending on your walking pattern but one will never be discarded without the other.

tink, the white things in front of the tea cup are the tea cup handle, I think.

with love
purple_scorp

Nicely said purple_scorp, it makes me think of a quote I recently read....
Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you Aldous Huxley

:lightbulb ohh the handles (giggle) silly me!