The Greek Lots/Arabic Parts

Minderwiz

Lots of Marriage

Dave raised some points about Princess Diana's chart so to end my coverage of the Lots, in terms of where they came from and a brief consideration of their use. In these next posts I'll use her chart to look at the Lots of Marriage and Family.

Dave has already mentioned one Part of Marriage - Ascendant + 7th cusp - Venus.

The use of the seventh cusp is clearly appropriate here, as all of you will know the seventh house is the house of the marriage partner. Venus too seems appropriate as significator of the female and for many modern Astrologers, the planet of relationships. Those of you who followed the horary threads will know that the significator of a partner in a romantic relationship is the Lord of the seventh House - so a variation on this lot could substitute Lord 7 for the seventh cusp. In Morinus Lord 7 is denoted by DC! (DC being the Descendant)

However marriage can be looked at from a variety of viewpoints, none of which are mutually exclusive. There is the context of a partnership of male and female, the union of man and woman being a term used in the Christian marriage ceremony. Venus is a symbol of the female, but we could also use the Sun as a symbol of the male. For a woman, partnership is with the male, for a man, partnership is with the female. Dave's formula might be modified on that basis depending on how strongly we feel that the parts should reflect the sex of the native.

We could also look at marriage as a legal or contractual relationship and it does confer certain legal rights to property and inheritance and tnus has implications for the children of the marriage in law. Marriages do not have to be love matches - though our culture values them highly - they can be arranged, again the legal issues might be more important in such cases but the linking of families is also a major consideration. Don't forget the legal side, a simple look at the number of pre-nuptial agreements (and the growth in these) will show you it's an important dimension.

The Lots I'll use here are:

Ascendant + Venus - Saturn (for men)
Ascendant + Saturn - Venus (for women)

This is probably the most common lot use in antiquity and the presence of Saturn in it suggests structure, limit and bounds - literally the bond of marriage. Saturn is also a male significator and thus we have a union of male and female. This lot is cited in Paul of Alexandria's work but certainly pre-dates him.

The second Lot comes from Vettius Valens who lived in the early second century CE, about the same time as Ptolemy. Valens used two Lots:

Ascendant + Venus - Jupiter (a diurnal lot for both men and women)

This lot replaces Saturn with Jupiter, another male planet, but it shifts the focus to the public role of marriage, it uses both benefics so it associates marriage with happiness and it also associates marriage with fertility and procreation, as both benefics indicate fertility and increase. According to Joseph Crane, Valens used the opposite position to this lot as the Lot of Adultery. As I have said above I'm not convinced by points opposite points unless there is an extremely good reason - such as for the Ascendant and Descendant, where both lie on the horizon.

The second of Valens Lots is

Ascendant + Venus - Sun (for men and both day and night)

Ascendant + Mars - Moon (for women both day and night)

Valens sees these Lots as indicating where love can lead to downfall or some other debility. The logic is that Venus and Mars compromise the Sun (male) and Moon (female). That is because Venus rules Libra the Fall of the Sun and Mars rules Scorpio the Fall of the Moon. In both cases Venus and Mars are acting malefically. For a positive outcome from this lot, the woman's lot of marriage must agree with her Lot of Fortune and the man's lot must agree with his Lot of Spirit.

Those are the Lots, let's see them in action.

Minderwiz

Marriage and Princess Diana

I have attached a chart for Princess Diana, which uses Placidus Houses as that is probably the most convenient house system for comments I've also used Morinus to show Diana's Lot of Spirit and her Hermetic Lots. As and exercise you might have a think about what these show about her. I'm simply going to mention a couple of these as they may illuminate the discussion of the Lots of Marriage.

Her Lot of Fortune lies just within the eighth House. As well as being an 'unfortunate' placement the eighth also deals with the moveable property of the marriage and the marriage partner specifically - in some way Diana's fortune is linked to her husband's wealth. Its almuten is the Sun, again a male symbol but also a symbol of the king, which in this case is quite close to Charles' position. Diana's fortune is controlled by the Monarchy. The link between the two aspects of the Sun is emphasised by it's position in the seventh house. Diana's fortune is inextricably linked to her marriage.

Her Lot of Spirit lies in the fourth, It's almuten is Venus in the fifth. The way in which she can influence her environment and the pressures on her is through her children (fifth) and home life (fourth) Diana might be dependent on her marriage and this in turn may affect her health and well being but she has the possibility of creating a significant affect on the monarchy through her children and the way that she brings them up and the home environment she provides (this does not have to be positive but for better or worse it's her doing).

You will also notice that Diana's Lot of Nemesis lies in the seventh ruled by combust Mercury. Here we see the fusion of Charles as husband (Mercury rules the seventh) and as part of the monarchy (Sun).The marriage and Charles especially will create conditions from which she cannot really escape, even if she escapes Charles. Mercury is also a significator of the Press and Paparazzi, whose role in the marriage break up in 1992/3 ensured that their dirty linen was indeed washed in public.

The calculated marriage Lots are shown in the attached table

Dave's Lot (for want of a better title to distinguish it) lies in Capricorn and it's Almutens are Saturn and Mars. It lies in her second house. Saturn is in dignity, Mars is Peregrine in the eighth. I'll leave Dave to comment on how he uses this lot/part

The Paul and Valens Lots of Marriage are both ruled by the Sun as almuten. The difference is that the Paul lot lies in Leo in the eighth and the Valens lot lies in Aries in the third. Both lots though show through their rulership the influence of Charles as partner and asthe monarchy on the outcome of Diana's marriage. The Paul's lot suggests it will not be good, simply through it's eighth house position. The sign ruler of Valens Lot is Mars in the eighth - back again to an unfortunate position.

Valens second lot of marriage as downfall lies in the seventh, This lot has Mercury as ruler and both Mercury and Saturn are it's almutens. Mercury is combust in the seventh - and as said above both signify Charles as husband and part of the monarchy. Saturn is a natural significator of restriction, limit and bounds and it's appearance in this lot suggests that the restrictions of the marriage will itself contribute to her downfall.

Interestingly Diana's solar return for 1992 (the year in which her marriage failed) had two of the four Lots angular. Dave's lot lay exactly on the IC and exactly opposed by the Sun. Valens lot lies exactly on the Descendant (the house of marriage) and is opposed by Jupiter on her Ascendant. As her natal Ascendant ruler, this signifies her own opposition to her marriage as well as the Sun's opposition to Dave's lot showing the opposition of the Charles to the marriage..

It's possible to trace through the various contact to these Lots, but the above shows that they can be significant in a derived chart that marks the timing of important marriage events.

Edited to add:

Remember that according to Valens, the point opposite his lot is concerned with adultery - this solar return brought out more stories of both parties adultery and her own indirect admission.

Attachments

• Diana 1992 Return.png
    Diana 1992 Return.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Diana Marriage Lots.png
    Diana Marriage Lots.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Princess Diana.png
    Princess Diana.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 215

Minderwiz

Lots of the Family

To conclude the run-down of Hellenistic Lots, there are Lots that relate to family members. The most used ones were:

Lots of the Father

Ascendant + Saturn - Sun (diurnal lot so Morinus will reverse this for night births)

Sun and Saturn are the two planets which signify the older may and authority figure - Saturn whilst a diurnal planet takes second place to the Sun, so you will find that Saturn is often used as the main significator in nocturnal charts. The formula above is for day births.

There is a variation to this - if Saturn is close to the Sun (under the Beams, or within 17 degrees) the formula is changed to

Ascendant + Jupiter - Mars

Jupiter and Mars are the two remaining 'male' planets. This formula would be used for both day and night births and so is not diurnal.

The Lot of the Mother

Ascendant + Moon - Venus (A diurnal Lot)

Moon and Venus are the two female planets and as such can signify wife and mother.Venus is the significator in Day births, the Moon in night births. So this Lot again has the Sect significator as the last term.

Incidentally there is a Part of Brother cited by Al Biruni, but he does not mention a Part of Sisters.

The Part of Brothers is :

Ascendant + Saturn - Jupiter (both day and night)

In the ancient world brothers were very important, given the lack of any state welfare, brothers were the most likely support if you fell on hard times. A lack of brothers was thus a serious challenge, unless you were quite wealthy. It's unlikely to be anywhere near as important these days, so I'd only use this Part in a horary which specifically referred to a Brother.

All of these Lots can be used as the first house reference point for a chart. This is especially useful where you do not have the full natal details for your parents and the only alternative is a sunrise of noon chart, which does not give a personal ascendant.

My Lot of the Father lies at 2 degrees Scorpio, just over 2 degrees from my natal Sun and in my third house (Saturn is conjunct my Ascendant and so this lot will be an equal degree from my Sun) It's ruler and Almuten is Mars, in my 12th House and about 11 degrees from my Ascendant. I have his date and place of birth but not the time - if I used this Lot as the reference point of a chart I could use my own planetary positions, which would give a chart with Sun conjunct the Ascendant

The Lot of the Mother lies in Taurus and is ruled by Venus but has the Moon as Almuten. It lies in my tenth House (the house of the mother and also the house of career). The Moon is angular on my Descendant. My mother was a significant influence on my career, and in my childhood and teens, the most prominent of my parents (as is usually the case)

My final post will be a brief conclusion though, as Dave, suggests it would be a good idea to take any questions or consider any requested charts.

Minderwiz

The Lots span over 2,000 years of history so it's not surprising that there is different usage and different approaches. However they remain an important way of taking your Astrology one stage further.

The word Lot, carries an overtone of a gamble or chance or a choice to beat the odds - it has the same root and meaning as a 'lot' in an auction or in the term 'parking lot' or even in the term 'lottery' - the drawing of lots. It's a piece or parcel but it has overtones of fate or destiny. The word 'Part' does not have those overtones and so may appeal to many Astrologers who reject 'destiny' or 'fate'. One could well argue that there's a chance element to life - we are not in total control that we have some say in the matter is shown by the inclusion of the Lot of Spirit but even that in a real sense may depend on genetics, or family conditioning or experience.

Lots allow a degree of customisation unknown to any other astrological measure, in that unlike midpoints they can incorporate house cusps, specific degrees, house rulers, planet dispositors, and indeed other Lots. The associated problem is the sheer volume of individual lots that can occur.

Most Lots in use are related in some way or other to the Ascendant - that is they are specific to you in a way that makes them active rather than passive. If you are going to try them, start with Fortune and Spirit - the winds of chance and the way that we try to control our lives through our decisions.

To me the beauty of the new version of Morinus is that it allow you to only enter the Lots that you want or intend to use and that you can switch these on or off depending on your specific interest at the time. All other programs seem to present a whole page of Lots, which you have to sift through to find the ones that you need (a search complicated by a variety of names for the same Lot)

I'm not sure if Dave intends to outline his foecasting methods using the Lot of Fortune but in the meantime if anyone has any questions or want their own lots evaluated, Now is the time!!

214red

Am interested but slightly scared at the same time...lol

Minderwiz

Am interested but slightly scared at the same time...lol

I don't think we're going to hurt all that much :)

Take the plunge and have a go!!

214red

I don't think we're going to hurt all that much :)

Take the plunge and have a go!!

okay, why not, i am very interested in the parts, but what i have read hasnt quite satisfied me, and maybe my interpretation is off.
what do i need to do, do you need my birth chart details, i think they are here somewhere.

Minderwiz

Yes I've got them - I've attached your chart just as a check to be sure.

Any particular areas of life that you are interested in or just the full set LOL

Attachments

• Nikki.png
    Nikki.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 233

214red

Yes I've got them - I've attached your chart just as a check to be sure.

Any particular areas of life that you are interested in or just the full set LOL

That's the one. I like the pof and the pos and anyone's that look interesting, not so interested in the parts relating to marriage .
Whatever you pick will be enlightening, there are so many parts I am sure you will find a few that stand out, as I don't know enough about them I will leave that to the experts...but definately the pof and part of spirit