A new de-enabling thread

cardlady22

Queen of Pentacle said:
the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative deck....

Wow! Reading the description makes it look like US Games is determined to make each demographic group drool and start twitching: Must have. Must have. NOT!

For those who want her art, you will be sorry to get stuck with another copy of Waite's PKT. For those who wanted a better card back, you will be asking yourself if they should have waited longer & gotten a better collection of her art put together.

I won't even start about the obvious pandering to those in the Tarot community who were miffed that Pixie wasn't getting proper credit for her contribution. Will this one set make up for the years of snubbing?

Aerin

The lamination on the USG deck will probably be yeuch too. And the card back isn't a PATCH on the Original RW lilies.

Aerin

Le Fanu

Queen of Pentacle said:
Sure, I would like to be de-enabled from the Pamela coleman Smith Commemorative deck...

There are few things we can be absolutely sure of in life (what´s the proverb?)... maybe only death, taxation and the fact that U.S Games will never get the lamination right. Just never...

I don´t get the Paulina. Haven´t we de-enabled for this deck before, and all these masochists keep coming back for more?

It´s girly, it´s faddish, the market is flooded with all these indistinguishable, disposable minxy-fairy decks. Not quite as charming or "sassy" as it thinks it is...

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
There are few things we can be absolutely sure of in life (what´s the proverb?)... maybe only death, taxation and the fact that U.S Games will never get the lamination right. Just never...
... and this is in the spirit of generalised de-enabling of US Games decks in general regardless of what they are:-

Two of the decks that I have loudly talked about ... er ... loving are US games, and both date from the 1990s. I find they are difficult to shuffle, now, and almost impossible to flick through quickly in search of a particular card. The laminate seems to have gone very slightly milky to the eyes and kinda sticky to the hands. the cards don't actually stick to each other even when they've been wrapped a while, but they don't slide over each other easily the way they're meant to, either. I would assume that this contagion spreads way beyond those two print-runs and probably through every deck they've ever produced ...

cardlady22

Le Fanu said:
I don´t get the Paulina. Haven´t we de-enabled for this deck before, and all these masochists keep coming back for more?

Yes, our dear Jewel asked back in post #684. Answers scattered until about post #711.

SolSionnach

magpie9 said:
Thank you for the lovely grovel....you were just off your center. Musta been too much coffee or too little coffee or a flurry of allergies or something like that. Come on back out of the corner, cutie, and say awful things about some wretched excuse for a deck. ;)

Maybe the Paulina? What were they thinking? Baaad wispy art and all the cards look the same.
Sravana gets up off her knees, after lying prone kissing Mags' feet all afternoon.

Whew. Glad that's over with!

Now - de-enabling the Paulina?

Oh, PLEASE.
How do they all manage with those weeds in their hair?

Not to mention, all those birds have to poop somewhere. You know all about birds and pooping? They don't *care* where they poop. They poop massively, all the time. Now look at all the pooping birds in this deck.
Lots and lots of scribbling. Every card looks exactly the same! Pointy chins, ears and lots of bed head.

Justice = XI. :mad:

Hanged man in a clown suit? Star in a tutu?

Hm. I like the Moon card. That would be the only one. Except for that fox/cat mutant creature in the foreground.

Oh god look at the Sun card. So syrupy sweet that I'm going into insulin shock!!!1!1!!

Judgment makes ZERO sense.
The World is a masked mermaid with a pooping bird on her head? WTH? - NO - **2** pooping birds.

What is that Thing on the 6/wands?

Okay - multi-legged steed of some avian type on the Knight/Wands - I *swear* I saw that done much more convincingly in the Universal Fantasy deck.

Okay. I can't bear looking at this abomination any more.

Extremely fussy, scribbly cards with a v. high sameness factor. No sense of elements - birds and butterflies in most suits, along with mutant dog/cat/dinosaur/reptilian creatures. I didn't see any bears. If you're going to have animals, you must have bears! and frogs! and and and elephants having sex in the missionary position!

oops. that was the Roots of Asia deck. My bad...

Sravana's judgment on the Paulina deck? 1 1/2 stars. Not to mention it's USG, right? I bet it has that super crappy lamination, and print quality that pixilates all that scribbly detail. You'll need a magnifying glass, and even then the details won't be apparent because of the bad printing. You'll know what your vision will be like when you hit 45-50 - NO CLOSE FOCUSING ALLOWED.

Sravana's recommendation? Wait for the full Mary El. It has gravitas. And it's not cute. And it damned well better have an alternate Hierophant card, because I can't abide the one that's shown on the website.

Le Fanu

Wow, sravana. Impressive. Not off-topic for a micro-second

*feel like Ive been bashed over the head with a scribbly fairy wand*

jackdaw*

Queen of Pentacle said:
Sure, I would like to be de-enabled from the Pamela coleman Smith Commemorative deck... And the Paulina tarot
And maybe the Legacy of the Divine...

If only...
PCS deck ...
There are four thousand (rough estimate) editions of the Rider-Waite Tarot out there. In every possible incarnation. Why do we need one more? For slightly less greeny colours and an uglier back than the Original Rider Waite, yet ANOTHER copy of the PKT, pictures of PCS's work that's already shown in the Encyclopedia of Tarot and Roppo's website, and still-awful laminate? Come on, you can call it the Rider Waite, you can call it the Rider Waite Smith if you insist, you can call it the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative, you can call it the Holy Pixie if you want. It's still the same artwork that we all have seen a thousand times. We're all saying "thank God they're finally giving Pixie her due!" and buying the name, which is exactly what USG is banking on. Don't they have enough of our money?

Legacy of the Divine ...
Do you HONESTLY want to spend a fortune on a deck that you'll then say "I can't use it, it's too expensive, too nice, too limited super-duper-special edition"? If you really really REALLY do want yet another Marchetti deck (and much as I like them, they all have a same feel that gets old after a while), wait for Llewellyn to publish it.

Paulina ...
What can I say that sravana hasn't said much better and much more thoroughly? It's pretty. And I don't mean that in a good sense. Pretty and frilly and fey. And as she said, they all look alike. Besides, there's still the USG laminate issue.

SolSionnach

Le Fanu said:
Wow, sravana. Impressive. Not off-topic for a micro-second

*feel like Ive been bashed over the head with a scribbly fairy wand*
Glad you liked it (I think you did?)
I must be having a Mars transit, because I'm pissed off alla time. (Nope - it's Saturn grinding slowly over my Sun/Mars/Mercury conjunction. HELLISH)

Now. Legacy of the Divine.
OMG not another Ciro deck in all its airbrushed glory! (I know it's not airbrush art, but it *looks* like airbrush art!)

The deck has a story? That's just another layer to add on to learning the tarot - and one more thing to get in the way of actually reading the cards.

Justice = XI - and there are *2* women on the card. ???

The Fool is everywhere in the major arcana. In his red and gold spandex. Wheel/Hanged Man and the Fool is the WORLD DANCER???? WTH?? I'm already sick of seeing him, just after viewing 1/2 of the slideshow.

The Sun is indoors. Wow. I bet it's hot in there!

Nice High Priestess, with the owl and pomegranate.

Lovers: two kissing winged heads. Weird and unpleasant

Chariot is nice - but I like the Star Tarot's better.

Lots of kitchy esoteric symbols -oooh, alchemical ones on the Magician!!!!1! and zodiacal ones EVERYWHERE - so much that they are MEANINGLESS!@!!

and on and on and on.

Not to mention it's hellishly expensive in the Speshul (!!11!!) Edition and with the cratering world economy, you'll *never* get your money out of it, not when the regular edition is soon to be available commercially.

My main beef is that CGI stuff looks *way* better on the screen than it does in person. "Real" art, done with media on paper/canvas prints up with much more life. I discovered that when I bought the Gilded. Yeeech.

As far as the PCS Commemorative - what jackdaw* said. Period. Oh, and if you want a crazy RWS that doesn't give USG more of your $$$ for their crappy lamination and pixilated printing, PM me. No, I'm not selling one, but I'm certainly not going to give a deck suggestion in the DEENABLING thread!

:D :D :D :p :p :p

oops. I did give Mary El props three posts up. But at least it's not available yet! ;)

Dusk Till Dawn

Can somebody please de-enable me from getting the Phantomwise?