~ Your personal version of the Celtic Cross

patter

1. The question/theme of the reading.
###I would say - symbolising the querent -- possibly chosen by them rather than random -- for myself I sometimes use the magician
###I play another card over this one called the 'covering' influence' which is used to give a 'tone' to the whole reading and resolve any ambiguities
2. (Crosses 1.) The obstacle or influence on the question/theme.
3. How you feel/what your are thinking on the inside about the question/theme.
###I would say 'unseen influence' -- hidden forces at work -- earthly forces.
4. Past influence on the question/theme.
5. How others see you or what you show on the outside in relation to the question/theme.
###I would say known influences -- intuition -- spiritual forces.
6. Possible direct future from the question/theme.
7. Yourself right now.
###I would say - symbolises true nature of the question
8. Environment
9. Hopes and/or fears in relation to the question/theme.
10. Outcome[/color]

Eponaz

CC-My Version

Great question BTW!

I think my version is fairly standard, in the sense of -
1/2 = being the situation & obstacle/or help
3 = crowns you/the goal, also conscious element
4 = foundation of situ. & unconscious element
5 = past thru 6 = future
BUT......
7 = Physical
8= Emotional
9= Mental
10= Spiritual.

Thanx for bringing this up!

paradoxx

..4....1/2...6..........8

1. central theme, main issues at hand, what remains constant
2. what crosses, enhances, diminishes, and/or distorts the situation
3. 1st impressions, the shallow level of understanding, instinctual guidance the beginning of the reading analysis.
4. recent past, what is being let go, what was. Where the situaiton has been built on, what is irrelevent but present.
5. a more detailed look into teh situaiton, cards 1 and 2 filter out what cannot be seen in card three, intellectual analysis. informaiton here may come from a higher source.
6. What is coming to be, what is the proposed goal, what is probably going to happen. potential energies coming foreward, waht is becoming known.
7. who you are, this card represents the questioner and how they fit into the persepective of the central theme.
8. who you will meet, others and their role in the theme at hand. the situations coming to be.
9. inner mentality, the synthesis of cards 3, 5, and 7 information as a whole. as the spred comes to an end, this card can be used to bridge the iniitial reactions and intutions the cards have brought foreward.
10. the conlclusion (Which may only be a beginning) of the reading, finalizing of the advise, what the meaning of the reading is in the end.

magipixie

Hi all,
I have a question about the celtic cross spread. I just got my first deck, it's the Universal Tarot deck and in the companion book there was an example of the celtic cross spread but it had eleven cards and every celtic cross spread in here has ten. I shy away from saying that any spread is "wrong", but that said, is mine wrong?! Sorry, I don't have an original variation to offer, I'm still working on the standard! Appreciate any help you can offer.
Blessed Be, Pixie

wavebreaker

magipixie said:
I shy away from saying that any spread is "wrong", but that said, is mine wrong?! Sorry, I don't have an original variation to offer, I'm still working on the standard! Appreciate any help you can offer.
There are a lot of different versions of the Celtic Cross spread, and there are no "right" or "wrong" versions. You'll probably find that every book that has the Celtic Cross spread, has a different version... And just have a look at all the replies in this thread! ;)

Just use the version that works best for you. This thread is a great start: try all the versions and just pick the one you like best! ;)

magipixie

Thanks for the reassurance cause I really like my eleven card spread!!!!

napaea

napaea's celtic cross

here is my version. i didn't find that the original looked anything like a celtic cross, so i took some liberties. it's easier for me to lay this out.

.................................| 11 |....| 10 |..................................................
........................................................................................................
....................| 13 |.....| 12 |.....| 9 |.....| 8 |......................................
........................................................................................................
....................| 1 |.....| 2/3|.....| 6 |.....| 7 |......................................
..................................| 4 |.....| 5 |.................................................

1: self
2: present environment
3: immediate obstacles/what to confront
4: hopes and fears
5: difficulties in the past
6: last of the present
7: first of the future
8: future environment
9: outer influences/surrounding energies
10: hopes and dreams
11: outcome
12: timing
13: advice

adapted from a Nancy Shavick celtic cross

Trogon

Okay... first off... Magipixie - I am wondering if you're not referring to a card which I asked about in my earlier reply to this thread. The original Celtic Cross layout I learned (from "A Complete Guide to the Tarot" by Eden Gray) used 11 cards - the 10 as seen in most of the versions seen here as well as a "significator". This "significator" is a card which is intentionally chosen to represent the querrent and is usually one of the court cards (page, knight, queen, king). Personally, I have now decided to cease this practice as it doesn't seem to add anything to the reading and removes a card from the deck, which might show up in another spot.

Anyway... after much suffering... well, after some thought and reading other versions posted here, this is what I have come up with for my new CC spread;

[color=735780].....................[/color]10
[color=735780]........[/color]5[color=735780]............[/color]9
[color=735780]...[/color]4[color=735780]..[/color]1/2[color=735780]..[/color]6[color=735780]......[/color]8
[color=735780]........[/color]3[color=735780]............[/color]7

1= The theme or main issue
2= Crossing card (opposing infuences or attitudes)
3= The base (basis, roots, origins of the matter)
4= Passing influences or event
5= What is hidden (an unseen/hidden influence or event)
6= Coming influence or event
7= The querrent (what he/she feels, hopes/fears, where they're at)
8= Environment (how others feel about the querrent or issue)
9= Advice (what may be needed to help the matter)
10= Final outcome (the direction things are currently moving in)

This has been a good excercise for me. It has helped me to be able to put into words what I wanted to get out of this spread. It will help me with other spreads as well. Thanks to Kayne for starting the thread.

azuremariposa

well, here's mine..

hope no one minds me resurrecting an old thread (found conveniently w/Trogon's help! *azure waves* :D)
i've been doing this spread for 15 yrs, so i'm quite "comfortable" with it, ya know? ;) i have altered it slightly, both in the pattern the cards are laid down in and in the meanings of some of the placements...i no longer use a significator either...
so, here's my personal version of the Celtic Cross:

****5**************
***************10**
4**1*2**6*****9****
*************8*****
****3*******7******

1. the general environment, what's going on, the situation at hand
2. the obstacles to the situation
3. patterns they have exhibited in the past that may help/hinder them in future endeavours
4. recent past (if no time frame is discussed, i take it to mean past 3-6 months)
5. alternate outcome if obstacles are ignored/not overcome
6. what's coming to pass (see #4 for time frame reference)
7. specifically what's on the querent's mind, what they are feeling, what they think about the situation
8. outside influences, either events or people around them
9. hopes and/or fears
10. what will come if they are able to move past/overcome their obstacles (if no time frame is referenced, i take it to mean in the next 6-12 months)

the benefit of this style of reading is that i can offer them two possible outcomes and show them how to help bring the one they want to pass...often one is negative, the other is positive (or neutral, as the case may be), so it's easy to see which way to go...
this spread is very effective for me, and it's what i use most often...if anyone tries my version, let me know how it worked out for ya...
many blessings to all...

bec

I got one too

my CC is a 13 carder, taken from a danish book called Tarot ABC by Ulrik Golodnoff.

It goes like this:

........3(C)............10.....11

Card 1: The Situation, what situations the spread will concern

Card 2: Your Reaction, how you instant react on the situation - how others sees you dealing with it

Card 3: The Hinderance, what is blocking you to do something about it

Card 4: The Wish For, what "glorious" plans you have inorder to deal with the situation

Card 5: Your Inner Thourghts, what´s going on within, are you aware ?

Card 6: Your Past (if this is reversed it usually means that you haven´t finished dealing with it yet - that´s my experience)

Card 7: How The Outcome May Be, what´s the future gonna be like if you purceed without interfeering

Card 8: Yourself, where are you gonna be in the process

Card 9: Your Home, how´s your family and surroundings gonna deal with the process

Card 10: Your Hopes For The Future

Card 11: Your Fears For The Future, do hopes and fears support eachother ?

Card 12: The Final Outcome

Card 13: Tarot´s last comment, this card tends to summon up the intire spread