shuffling

nexyjo

oh, and i forgot to add, that i *could* riffle any of the decks i own. i am 5' 10", and have hands to match, so even the larger decks fit rather comfortably in my hands. it's funny when i use a deck like the hanson-roberts, it's like it is uncomfortably small. but i never riffle a tarot deck - ever. when i read for friends, i show them how to shuffle the deck, and specifically state NOT to riffle them, or the "tarot gods" will not look kindly upon them...

i am curious to finally get one of those round decks, to see how easily i can shuffle them, if at all.

luv and light,
nexy

KyrieSummer

I do both. I usually riffle a few times and then turn to lacing the cards. Sometimes I stick with just lacing the cards. But I never do just riffling. I am luck and do not have any damage to my cards, I am pretty careful in how I riffle, likely as I have to as they are a large deck and cannot be riffled quickly. Then I just stop when I feel I should stop.

bonadea

I do both. I mostly riffle, though. What an interesting topic to chat about. This is why I love this forum so much. :)

Rhiannon

I do both as well. I usually riffle them before a reading. The only time I really use the lacing method is if I've put the cards in suit order to be able to study them more easily. Then I'll lace them a few times and riffle them just to make sure they are well mixed. I have the same problem as Elphaba with the "big chunks of unshuffled cards" if I use the lacing method alone.

Rhiannon :)

Rhyannon

I riffle as well, and I've damaged playing cards badly that way. Since I love my tarot decks so much, I'm going to start alcing them, and see how it goes.

*starts looking forward to her lacing session with her two decks*

catlin

Hi,

Usually I am a lacer but with the round decks this does not work so I shuffle them on the table in the living room or on my bed.

Allyria

Definatley a "riffler" here.

I think i got that from my grandmother. She ALWAYS played cards, whether it was solitaire or something else. And she ALWAYS did the riffling thing with the "bridge" thinger. I get that from her i guess.

I DO "lace" after the riffling, from time to time.

I also cam across anothe shuffling method somewhere, and goes something like this:
Pardon my description:

Allyria

Definatley a "riffler" here.

I think i got that from my grandmother. She ALWAYS played cards, whether it was solitaire or something else. And she ALWAYS did the riffling thing with the "bridge" thinger. I get that from her i guess.

I DO "lace" after the riffling, from time to time.

I also cam across anothe shuffling method somewhere, and goes something like this:
Pardon my description:

You take your deck in one hand, then push a card or a few from the top into your empy hand. Then, push some cards from the bottom of your deck to your once empty hand, on top of the cards you just "took". Then, push again from the top of the deck, placing the cards on the bottom of the afore mentioned empty hand. Make sense? Kind of like lacing i guess. I DO like this method...but use it when i have 'more time' and/or my hands dont hurt. I've seen this done really fast and looks AMAZING! Saves on wear and tear on the dekcs too.

raeanne

Hi all,
I can't lace without dropping half the deck or ending up with the entire suit of Wands all still in order, so I'm a riffler. God, please don't tell Charlton Heston because I don't want the NRA to know I do anything with anything that even sounds like it might be related to a firearm. :)

nexyjo

i remember when i first started to use the tarot, i was concerned that by just lacing, the deck would not be thoroughly shuffled, as many here have pointed out. but i couldn't bring myself to riffle a brand new deck that i paid in excess of $30 for. so that's why the first shuffle goes on for a while. i also believe, that if you do end up with the enitre suit of wands in numerical order, that's the order they are supposed to be in for that particular spread and reading. and i'll also add that learning to lace without dropping half the deck did take some time. i've dropped half the deck on a few occasions...
luv and light,
nexy