Hand of The Devil!

gloria

Has anyone else noticed the glyph for Saturn (ruler of Capricorn)in the upraised hand of the Devil?
Only just spotted it today!

TemperanceAngel

According to the Golden Dawn, The Devil and Capricorn are great friends....
Will see if I can post a list on here, wait until I find it....
XTAX

gloria

Thanks Temperance that would be great.

Centaur

Hey Glo,

I had never noticed that before. Interesting.

See... I usually associate the Devil with (amongst other things) a connection to the Earth... to something that we know is bad for us: whether that be through addiction, too much hedonism and thus neglecting of various other emotional or spiritual values. Capricorn as an Earth sign and its appearance on the Devil's hand is thus very useful in understanding this.

Capricorn, is actually capricornus, which literally stands for 'horned goat'.

According to this web-site:-

http://www.stariq.com/Main/Articles/P0001903.htm

'Capricorn is often depicted as the "sea goat" from the myth of Pan, the horned woodland god of goats and shepherds. The bearded and "horny" Pan was one of the satyrs, half-human and half-beast, known for their voracious sexual appetites (origin of the word "satyriasis"). According to one version of the myth, Pan, fleeing from the beast Typhon, jumped into a river just as he was transforming himself into a fish. The lower half of his body became fishlike, but his upper body above the water remained in the form of a goat.

Modeled after the myth of Pan, the devil in medieval times was depicted with the horns and hooves of a goat. Our word "panic" comes from the reaction of Pan's nursemaid when she beheld his horned skull and ugly bearded face as he emerged from the womb. She ran away in a fright—the first "panic" in recorded history.'

Interestingly, that same web-site points out Capricorn's relation to the Winter Solstice. Apparently, the day of the Winter Solstice is one of the darkest in the whole year. Perhaps this can also be drawn upon in our understanding of the Devil card, perhaps reflecting 'dark-times'.

C

gloria

Hi Centaur....thanks for link....very interesting site.
G.

WalesWoman

I believe the glyph is the astrological sign for Saturn.

OakDragon

Interesting also, that he seems to be saying "Live long and prosper"! He's holding his hand in the traditional Vulcan greeting (from the American sci-fi TV show, Star Trek).

:laugh:

TheoMo

actually, it looks very similar to what is known as the "abhaya mudra" in Buddhist and Hindu art and architechture.

Here are some links with pictures of the hand position:

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/mudra-japan.shtml

http://www.buddhanet.net/mudras.htm

the hand position is known as the "gesture of fearlessness," and it is the way teachers tell their students not to fear, but to have courage through mindfullness and compassion.

perhaps the Devil is telling us not to fear his challenges, but to confront them head on?

poivre

TheoMo
That take all the bad messages out of the card.
Thanks!

TheoMo

yes, it does make the message of the card more palatable. I am still curious as to my interpretation - I am unaware of other Hindu/Buddhist symbols in the RW deck, so if the devil's hand is really there as a symbol of fearlessness, it would be interesting why the designers of the card chose to use an Eastern symbol for this card but for no others.

Then again, perhaps the abhaya mudra is a more universal symbol of peace and fearlessness....who knows.