Robert M. Place Tarot book/7-Fold Mystery

Lee

I don't remember where I heard this, but my understanding had been that the Sevenfold Mystery deck does not as yet have a publisher. This info may not be accurate or up-to-date!

-- Lee

Cerulean

Oh...sorry to hear that

I'm enjoying the Buddha Tarot, but I really thought the Sevenfold Mystery had some mysterious, beautiful and yes, funny-charming ideas (the undersea greyhound--I would not have thought of that. But Mr. Place has greyhounds, it says in another thread...)...

Oh well, beautiful decks always are worth waiting for--likely a year or less?

Here's hoping,

Cerulean

Hedera

Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting publication of that deck, but last I heard (I emailed with mr Place about it a couple of months ago) he hadn't found a publisher for it yet. :(

Mean while, the book might be a good read; I find his ideas on tarot very interesting.

baba-prague

I really do like Robert Place's work, although oddly enough I find myself reluctant to read with any of his decks. I tend to read the books and enjoy the cards more by looking at them than by using them. The standard of drawing is very high (goes without saying really) and there is a great sense of intellect about the pictures as well as the writing. I suppose refined is the word I'm looking for.

If this deck does come out then it's one that I would definitely buy.

augursWell

Any publisher that passes up this latest deck will likely regret it. Mr. Place is a *four* time winner, as it were, in publishing Tarot decks and it seems to me that this deck is *his* vision. By that I mean that all previous decks were basically from existing traditions such as alchemy, angels, buddhism, etc. The artwork on the listed webpage above seems to be a fusion of influences that are Robert Place's own. If he hasn't found a publisher then perhaps he is just waiting for the right deal/partner. I say, just give it time. :)

robert m place

The Tarot of the Sevnfold Mystery

Hi,

I haven’t been posting here for a while but I just noticed the discussion about my Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery and I wanted to answer some of the questions that I see here.

First of all, I could find a publisher in a day if I did not care about how much of an advance I was getting. It takes me a long time to make each illustration and I need to get enough money to cover the time it takes while I am working - so that I can pay my bills and live like a normal person. On each of the four decks that I have created I have not received enough money from the advance and royalties to cover the time that I have spent creating each deck. They have all been a labor of love which was partially subsidized by me.

For the time being, my strategy has been to work on the deck at my own pace without the pressure of a contract and a deadline. When a good deal of the cards are illustrated it will be easier for me to get it published with a smaller advance. Meanwhile I have been focusing on writing books on the Tarot without a deck. I feel that in this way my ideas and insights will reach a larger audience. I am excited about my new book The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination, which will be out in March. And, yes I illustrated the cover.

Lurea

Hi, that is a beautiful deck! I was intrigued by the reference to Burne-Jones on your website, he is one of my favorite artists. In fact, I like all the Pre-Raphaelites.
Love the pictured hounds! This deck is going on my list. :)

Cerulean

Oh, that's good news

Another to watch for--thanks for the update.

Cerulean